Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 21:11 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
[#permalink]
hi Franck,

I think that's ok..it's a first try and I think that pressure and stress are also there...
I presume it's not easy the first time, I'll do it also in 3 weeks...

Anyway, it seems you studied hard before and your GMAT score doesn't reflect your previous score when you were training yourself...

please keep faith :wink:

bon courage a toi ! je suis dans le meme cas et je passe le GMAT dans 3 semaines...je suis francais, j'ai 25 ans et je vis en chine. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Interesting!

You're right for the stress. Even if there's no reason why. It's so heavy to keep working this exam till you reach the score you want...

good luck to you and to all French guys who study hard. What are your first scores on PP or OG? Are they encouraging? What is your target?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1539 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Frank, I'm sorry to hear about your verbal score but it can definitely be improved. I am french canadian and english is only my 3rd language (vietnamese is my first). I strongly believe that with determination and perseverance, you can be very strong for the verbal GMAT. Go through the forum and work on your areas of weakness. If you fear RC, you have to face it. I would suggest you to work on RC 5-6 in a row and analyze it in excruciating detail. See how/where you went wrong and I promise you that after 2 weeks of doing that, your RC will improve!
Ce n'est en effet pas facile mais si tu le veux, tu peux! Bon courage mon ami et j'espere te voir plus souvent dans le forum. a+
Paul
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Paul [#permalink]
Thanks Paul for your nice post.

I'm training hard actually on RC and CR in order to improve. SC is much easier after studying the OG cover to cover. Concerning your targets, did you reach them? How many times did you stand the exam in order to have your score? What was the time period between 2 exams? Did you succeed at INSEAD entrance?

In fact I'll be leaving to Singapore in one year and I just feel like entering a MBA at this time. I don't have many choices : NUS/Insead. Both are hard to obtain. But I definitively need to reach 650 at least to be competitive. With one year to do it, There is no problem, but I'd like to finish with that exam quickly in order to come back to a normal life with "real" problem!

Merci de tes encouragements. La motivation est là.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1900 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Franck, I'm from Singapore and you're quite right about the limitation in choice ! But why would you want to do a course at INSEAD in Singapore ? For myself, I would love to go down to France and do it there, but there's a cost to consider.

I'm trying to get myself ready for the GMAT in December so I can apply for a course in MFE for the 2005 intake, and right now I'm a little nervy with:

Quantitative: Probabilty problems and some work problems
Verbal: I think I'm okay with SC, RC and CR, but stumble on the ones that are harder
AWA: That's a nightmare ! I've gone through some of the official AWA questions and I think unless you've been reading serious material for the past year or so, you've going to be in trouble. Seriously, I can't think of what to write when I read them !

Maybe we should start discussing AWA here too.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
In fact I'd like to follow my wife who is going to work in Sing for her french firm. Here is the main reason.

Quant : probability problems : do and re do the probability section on this site (prob and comb issues). I had the chance to pick up one question (which was exactly the same) during my exam.
Work problem are not difficult if you reason by asking yourself : how many can be done in one hour? (usual inversion described in Kaplan/PR)

Verbal is a real struggle and I think there is no other way than to take and retake questions (understanding each time your errors and trying to find the logic of the reasoning : evidence=> conclusion, if i weaken the evidence, i weaken the conclusion...etc etc)

With my small experience I can tell you that AWA is important but with a good structure already in mind (PR plan for example) you can easily tackle every argument or comment every issue. Most important thing is to give the impression to the e-rater that your thought is organized and supported by examples.
Try it as a game : imagine you are in front of another person and that this is a verbal match between you and this person. How can I destroy his or her argument or how can I prove that my thinking is the correct one, without any further discussion?...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
[#permalink]
Waow, seems a lot of people are french or speack french in this forum :P

Concerning the Verbal issue, I think that SC is the easiest one, this is really where you can get a lot of points and where you can reduce your loss if you're not good at verbal.

In my mind, I really think that the SC is more mathematic than verbal, you have to work like a scientist looking for any of those errors (pronouns, parrallelism, verbs tense, ...) and check it one by one. It's a systematic approach because there might be 7-8 maximum different kinds of errors. In addition to that, the Process of Elimination works really good because you can compare all the answers first and it will give you an idea of what you're looking for... :idea:

The CR is very logical but in fact the worst thing that can happen to you is to make assumptions by yourself, everytime you read one CR you should think like a child, like if you were stupid and knew nothing...be very strict with the questions and practice a vertical scan of all answers, the Process of Elimination is really the best weapon in verbal, learn to guess right the wrong answers (avoid all the words like "only"or "few" because usually it just changes the sense of the answer...if you master this process of elimination you can really ace the verbal part...no doubts :wink:

For non english speaker the only problems would be idioms because you can not invent it ! you know it or you guess it...no other way. :evil:

If you can improve your results in SC, then in CR, it will give you a more comfortable margin for the RC...

Good luck

ps : Franck n'hesite pas a me contacter, j'ai une de mes meilleurs amies qui vit actuellement avec son copain et qui travaille a Singapour. Bonne chance !
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts