Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 01:52 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 01:52
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: mba class visit attire [#permalink]
I think an important question is, if the school states "interviews and visits are business casual", do you still wear a suit to the interview?

RF
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
I'm going with a jacket and dress pants for the class visit. Going by the fact half the students at an earlier class visit were in hoodies and shorts, a suit sounds far too much.

I'll wear a suit only to the interview. And I'll let the interviewers know I'll be going "business" and whether that would be inappropriate.
Current Student
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
I'm going with a jacket and dress pants for the class visit. Going by the fact half the students at an earlier class visit were in hoodies and shorts, a suit sounds far too much.

What school was this?

RF
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Columbia in the summer. And by students I meant actual, current students. Not prospies such as myself.

refurb wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

What school was this?

RF
Current Student
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Columbia in the summer. And by students I meant actual, current students. Not prospies such as myself.

Oh OK! Now I got you! Yeah, the students themselves tend to be really casual. I thought you were saying that students who were visiting were wearing hoodies and shorts.

Now that would be funny!

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
refurb wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

Oh OK! Now I got you! Yeah, the students themselves tend to be really casual. I thought you were saying that students who were visiting were wearing hoodies and shorts.

Now that would be funny!

RF

Did campus visits (no classes) to Kellogg and Chicago in July; most were in biz casual. A few guys were wearing polo shirts + shorts, 2 of their wives were even wearing beach-y cover-up dresses - those folks stuck out but in a bad way :?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
thanks. i posted the original question. i'm thinking biz casual but i'm probably going in a dress shirt and khakis. i think even suit pants and black shoes might look a bit stuffy and out of place.
Current Student
Send PM
aspirando wrote:
thanks. i posted the original question. i'm thinking biz casual but i'm probably going in a dress shirt and khakis. i think even suit pants and black shoes might look a bit stuffy and out of place.

I think it probably depends on the school and the person. Going back to my Tuck example, most of the other people visiting were in finance, so they were all in slacks and dress shirts and black shoes. I, on the other hand traded the slacks for a pair of dark khakis and the black dress shoes for a pair of brown loafers.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
At Kellogg I was told by adcom for class visits that khakis and a polo is very common and acceptable. Business professional (suit and tie) for the interview though.
Current Student
Send PM
cpgmba wrote:
At Kellogg I was told by adcom for class visits that khakis and a polo is very common and acceptable. Business professional (suit and tie) for the interview though.

It seems to vary by school. The email I got confirming my Duke visit/interview stated that business casual is appropriate for both visits and interviews.

I think if you want to make sure, just send an email to the adcoms and ask.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I personally wouldn't give a crap as a current student on how you were dressed. Actually, I would: if you wore a suit and were not coming from work, I would giggle and joke about it :-D.

If I had to meet other prospects, I would probably dress as usual in this kind of weather: shorts, T-shirt or polo and slashes. Too hot for anything else. I wouldn't expect prospects to dress up differently. But maybe current students receive specific instructions to dress up properly - which is plain stupid in my eyes, but who cares about what I think anyway :)

For the interview though, anything less than a suit means that you're taking stupid and useless risks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
I've been to a couple school events and IMO it's sorta off putting when people try too hard. Even when you try to have a conversation with them they seem to always be in "impress" mode. Putting your best foot forward is one thing but do it while stilling being who YOU actually are.

I could see a top school hosting an event at a water park to give prospective students an opportunity to interact with current students in a social atmosphere and people would still show up wearing business suits.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
At my Yale SOM visit today there were 2 (out of 12 of us) prospective students in jeans....one had a neon green polo untucked.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
raabenb wrote:
At my Yale SOM visit today there were 2 (out of 12 of us) prospective students in jeans....one had a neon green polo untucked.....

I hate to be the style police but you shouldn't tuck a polo shirt in with jeans.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
At MIT today it ranged from jeans and T-shirts to suits. Most of us were business casual...slacks and a button down shirt.

Oh, and any type of shirt tucked into jeans is horrible! Unless you're a 48 year old with 3 kids and a minivan! :lol: :(
Current Student
Send PM
raabenb wrote:

How was everyone else dressed?

RF
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
One thing I noticed is that the women were dressed much more formally than the men.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3