Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Own Kudos [?]: 1246 [28]
Given Kudos: 104
 Q49  V34 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V37
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [5]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [5]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Own Kudos [?]: 1246 [1]
Given Kudos: 104
 Q49  V34 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V37
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Send PM
Re: Left-handed persons have an advantage over right-handed persons on tas [#permalink]
Kudos
How do we know that A is correct for sure? Though lefties are good at painting need not necessarily mean that they will take up painting right? And before a lefty starts painting he/she will not know if he/she will be good at it and so just because someone is left handed does not mean they are naturally inclined to paint.
On the other hand D says, the left handed ppl who are painters are more susceptible to viruses, which follows straight from the stem.
any comments?
Whiplash or Ian stewart?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Re: Left-handed persons have an advantage over right-handed persons on tas [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
That OE quoted above is just nonsense. If that's from a prep company, find better material to work from.

Quote:
This question is an inference question. Therefore the task is to find an inevitable conclusion from information given.

This is a distortion of what the question asks. We're asked to decide "which of the following hypotheses" is "best supported" by the information given. That is *not* the same thing as finding an "inevitable conclusion"; if a conclusion is 'inevitable', we don't need to introduce any additional assumptions. A conclusion can be 'supported' by the information provided we any assumptions we make are reasonable. There is no answer choice here which is an 'inevitable conclusion' from the information given; we're going to need to introduce assumptions, and we need to be sure our assumptions are reasonable.

Quote:
There are 2 possible answers that should spring to mind based on the facts presented:

1. Lefties have advantage on right brain functions + painting is right brain function = lefties have advantage in painting.

Eliminate Answer Choices:
(A) Close in to what we said- Keep.

A isn't 'close' to what they said at all. Lefties have an advantage at painting; that does not mean that more lefties become painters. For A to be a good answer, you need to make enormous assumptions here: you first would need to assume that people end up doing things they're good at, but second, you'd need to assume that there aren't other things lefties are better at that they might pursue instead of painting. That lefties are better at "right-brained" tasks suggests that lefties might be better than righties at all kinds of tasks, some of which might be more attractive to them than painting. In all, A is really far-fetched. If we can find an answer that requires us to assume less, it will be a better answer.

Quote:
(D) The argument makes no mention of the sub group "left-handed painters". You are told that lefties in general contract viruses more often but not whether left-handed painters do so more often than other left-handers or other sub-groups of lefties, thus this does not have to be true – eliminate.

We aren't asked to find something which 'must be true' here; we only need to find the hypothesis 'best supported by the
information' given. D is perfectly well supported provided we assume that lefthanded painters are as susceptible to influenza as are lefthanded non-painters. That seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable assumption - why would choosing to become a painter influence your susceptibility to influenza? D is certainly a more reasonable answer than A here. I'd add - D does not need to be true here, since we'd need to introduce an assumption to reach D as a conclusion. But it's certainly the most reasonable of the five answer choices.

Hi, what is wrong with an option B? To me it is also a good choice since it says that in general left-handed people contract more influenza viruses than right-handed people which was written in the text.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
(A) There is a greater proportion of left-handed persons among painters than there is among non-painters.
We don't know whether left handed people recognised their advantage and chose painting or simply didn't take part in painting

(B) Most people who contract influenza or other viruses are left-handed rather than right-handed.
We are not in aposition to assert this may be they have smartly procured a way in avoiding these disease

(C) If a left-handed person contracts a virus similar to influenza, that person will probably be a painter.
Definitely no a cause cannot be attributed to an effect

(D) Most left-handed painters are more susceptible to influenza than is the population as a whole.
Yes this can be a assertion

(E) There are a greater proportion of left-handed persons among painters than there are right-handed persons among non-painters.
Same as A we are not in a poositioni to determine the same hence IMO D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts