Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 10:06 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 10:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Re: Anyone applying to B-School because of quarter life crisis? [#permalink]
I'm another ex-Peace Corps volunteer, now working in international development. The QLC is why a lot of folks choose the PC in the first place. It's a good place to figure out what you want to do in the world, but it *definitely* is not for everyone. I think there's probably a good reason why there aren't a lot of Peace Corps-to-B-school applicants out there.

Oddly enough, I've never felt the "crisis" thing. I have a pretty good idea what it is I want to do, and don't freak out that I don't have all the details nailed down yet. If you feel like you're in a QLC, my advice is to chill out. You're young. When you're 50, you'll feel like such an ass for freaking out that you didn't know what you wanted to do with your life when you were 26.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Leverandon wrote:
I'm in a particularly confusing place in that my goal is to get both a JD and an MBA. Right now, though, I'm having trouble cracking the LSAT score that I need to get into a top JD program. I've got one more shot at the LSAT in December...

I assume you are applying to Northwestern's JD/MBA since they don't require the LSAT?

Leverandon wrote:
...if that doesn't work out, I may be in the position of going to a top 15 MBA program or a much lower ranked law program. I think the choice then would be obvious: top tier MBA and if I still want the JD, try to beg my way into whather B-school I go to's companion law program.

Have you ever heard of this happening?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare and Operations
Schools:Michigan
Send PM
maverick2011 wrote:
Leverandon wrote:
I'm in a particularly confusing place in that my goal is to get both a JD and an MBA. Right now, though, I'm having trouble cracking the LSAT score that I need to get into a top JD program. I've got one more shot at the LSAT in December...

I assume you are applying to Northwestern's JD/MBA since they don't require the LSAT?

Leverandon wrote:
...if that doesn't work out, I may be in the position of going to a top 15 MBA program or a much lower ranked law program. I think the choice then would be obvious: top tier MBA and if I still want the JD, try to beg my way into whather B-school I go to's companion law program.

Have you ever heard of this happening?

Tuition for Northwestern's JD/MBA program is $63,000. $63,000 * 3 = $189,000. Make sure its necessary to have both degrees before you get them, or you might be regretting it when you're 30. If you work as a lawyer for 3 years and decide you hate it, you paid alot more tuition then necessary.

If you're unsure I think the better option is to work for awhile, then go back when you are sure what you want to do.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
refurb wrote:
gt7er wrote:
I like how Alex Chu from mbaapply said going to a top business school should not be the defining moment of your life....if you treat it as the best thing that will ever happen to you then you probably won't get in anyway....

I love reading Alex Chu's posts. He really puts the whole MBA thing into perspective.

RF

I gotta say, Alex Chu offers some gems about life/work in addition to his fine posts about bschool.
Current Student
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
I gotta say, Alex Chu offers some gems about life/work in addition to his fine posts about bschool.

He also takes a lot of the luster off the whole MBA "thing". Having graduated a while back from a top school (Wharton) he really lays out the fact that an MBA is just the start. It will open doors, but it will be entirely on you to make something out of the opportunities.

RF
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2