Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 21:47 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General,
Schools:Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
 Q50  V41
WE 1: 5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Re: MBA schools for technology sector [#permalink]
Tepper ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology Management
Schools:Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Send PM
spideyeclipse27 wrote:
What are the best schools to get into to pursue strategic planning at Tech companies? How friendly are these schools with sponsoring H1B for international students?

Spidey,

The schools have nothing do with H1B sponsoring. It depends only on which companies recruit and whether they sponsor intl students.

SV
Current Student
Send PM
jb32 wrote:

I don't think this ranking applies to tech management or all roles within technology. For e.g., Haas is not even in the top 10 here, since the focus is on Information Systems alone. For tech sector and GM roles within it, I would probably look at Haas, UCLA, Michigan and Tuck besides Stanford/MIT.
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
My bad! I meant to ask how friendly are companies recruiting in technology sector for international students? coz, somewhere else on gmatclub i read that only IB and consulting recruiters are H1 friendly to a large extent.

svrider wrote:
spideyeclipse27 wrote:
What are the best schools to get into to pursue strategic planning at Tech companies? How friendly are these schools with sponsoring H1B for international students?

Spidey,

The schools have nothing do with H1B sponsoring. It depends only on which companies recruit and whether they sponsor intl students.

SV
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I think if you come from a top MBA most companies will recruit international students, regardless of industry. At this point, when salaries are +100K, the extra couple thousand dollars spent for a visa are not that much of an issue for a company.

As to MBAs with good ties to tech firms, agree you could look at Stanford, Haas, MIT.
Current Student
Send PM
tmino wrote:
I think if you come from a top MBA most companies will recruit international students, regardless of industry. At this point, when salaries are +100K, the extra couple thousand dollars spent for a visa are not that much of an issue for a company.

As to MBAs with good ties to tech firms, agree you could look at Stanford, Haas, MIT.

It is not the salary which decides whether a company would sponsor or not but demonstrating that they cannot find an equivalent US citizen/permanent resident for that role which does. And it so happens that IB & MC are the largest recruiters of MBAs and hence, they are able to demonstrate such a need for qualified people.

Spidey,
My impression is that, in general, tech companies are as friendly as IB & MC but I would also venture that it depends on the size of the company. For e.g., a startup in Bay Area might not be willing to go the extra step and deal with the visa paperwork while a company such as MS or Apple with an in-house immigration dept. or lawyers, are more willing to hire the right international candidate.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare and Operations
Schools:Michigan
Send PM
svrider wrote:
jb32 wrote:

I don't think this ranking applies to tech management or all roles within technology. For e.g., Haas is not even in the top 10 here, since the focus is on Information Systems alone. For tech sector and GM roles within it, I would probably look at Haas, UCLA, Michigan and Tuck besides Stanford/MIT.

I think the basic rule is that if the business school has a strong engineering school; then it will probably be pretty good at technology management.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Kellogg is pretty strong in tech, esp with product management.

nomsg7111 wrote:
svrider wrote:
jb32 wrote:

I think the basic rule is that if the business school has a strong engineering school; then it will probably be pretty good at technology management.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I think what area you want to go into also plays a factor. Microsoft actually said that they have more MBA's from Kellogg than any other school. Its probably a function of their business and that lots of them work in the product marketing and strategy areas. Google, Facebook, Apple, expedia, amazon, dell, and all sorts of companies come here too. Mainly for marketing and strategy positions...not sure what you want actually practice in.

I would also bet those companies go to other top companies for marketing, strategy/business development, and finance jobs.
Current Student
Send PM
MGOBLUE2 wrote:
Kellogg is pretty strong in tech, esp with product management.

MG & RR
I agree - Kellogg should definitely be in that list. You have a strong focus on Tech Management (Prof. Sawhney).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
svrider wrote:
tmino wrote:

It is not the salary which decides whether a company would sponsor or not but demonstrating that they cannot find an equivalent US citizen/permanent resident for that role which does. And it so happens that IB & MC are the largest recruiters of MBAs and hence, they are able to demonstrate such a need for qualified people.

Spidey,
My impression is that, in general, tech companies are as friendly as IB & MC but I would also venture that it depends on the size of the company. For e.g., a startup in Bay Area might not be willing to go the extra step and deal with the visa paperwork while a company such as MS or Apple with an in-house immigration dept. or lawyers, are more willing to hire the right international candidate.

My point is still that while many big firms require that only US citizens can apply for entry level positions (e.g. Accenture), when you get to post-MBA positions with high salaries your citizenship in general plays less of a role.

But agree that companies need to demonstrate the need for qualified people, and MBAs from top schools are such scarce qualified people. Small companies (or start-ups) might actually put in the extra effort and hire internationals, because they often can't compete with large companies for top US citizens. I know a couple of international MIT grads who worked in small tech companies in MA post MBA.

MBAs from top schools are just too coveted, regardless of industry, to be denied a top job simply on grounds of getting a visa. Post undergrad maybe yes, but not post-MBA.
Current Student
Send PM
tmino wrote:
MBAs from top schools are just too coveted, regardless of industry, to be denied a top job simply on grounds of getting a visa. Post undergrad maybe yes, but not post-MBA.

I don't know if by top schools, you are talking only about H/W/S, but I've talked to current international students and alumni at Ross, Cornell, Darden and Duke, who all reiterated that some jobs and industries are just out of contention due to visa requirement. So, it does happen, maybe not in IB or MC but in GM roles in large companies and even in some technology companies (for e.g. IBM).
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Thats what I think too! So I am wondering in a market like this...

I don't know if by top schools, you are talking only about H/W/S, but I've talked to current international students and alumni at Ross, Cornell, Darden and Duke, who all reiterated that some jobs and industries are just out of contention due to visa requirement. So, it does happen, maybe not in IB or MC but in GM roles in large companies and even in some technology companies (for e.g. IBM).[/quote]
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [7]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos