Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Chicago Booth, Class of 2011
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Re: R3 Applications...suicide? [#permalink]
The surest way of not getting is to not apply. Your profile is pretty solid, and I think you'd be very competitive in the earlier rounds. That said, R3 overall is tough to predict and very few people typically get admitted R3. I would apply if you think it would take minimal effort.

What other M7s are you in at?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Yale SOM 2011
 Q44  V42
Send PM
I am debating the same thing didn't apply to H/S, but leaning towards not applying R3 as I'm am getting crushed with work, CFA study & Interviews.

fluidian wrote:
I'm wondering if any one out there is applying in R3, and if so, what's your take on the application volume and how this will impact R3 acceptance rates. For myself, I'm primarily interested in feedback about R3 from the M7, and more specifically about H/S, but other conversation is great as well.

I'm an admit at 2 schools from the M7, but I never lobbed over applications to H/S. Now I'm wondering if I should give it a go. I'm 29, so a bit older for these schools, so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the time, cash, and effort. Anyone know what the typical R3 acceptance rates for H/S are and whether or not there is a bias towards a particlar type of applicant?

I'm sure some will be curious, so here are my stats.

GMAT: 720
GPA (undergrad): 3.76 (top 3 chemical engineering)
GPA (masters): 3.4 (different top 3 chemical engineering)
Awards: NSF, NIH, and Haas MOT Fellowships

WE: 4.5 years in early stage biotechnology. I was the first employee at one and helped them get VC cash, and I have since founded a company and have secured some financing.

A few intersting extras, but nothing too community oriented: Started a wine group and entrepreneurial group, and have a state-level award winning art portfolio.

If this discussion is in the wrong section - please feel free to move.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
I think that if you are planning to go to any of these 2 schools, you should try your luck with H/S. If does work, great, if it does not, no worries.

On the other hand, if you would prefer to postpone by a year to go to H/S then don't apply for R3 and apply next year for R1. Though it seems that it may not be the case as you are not an early applicant.
Current Student
 Q49  V39
Send PM
I'm planning on attending in the fall...no need to wait, as my options are already attractive. I'm just curious about the R3 disadvantage. I agree that if I was set on attending these schools, it would likely be prudent to postpone applying until next year (although R3 may be different this year than the historical norm, due to the different application distribution...). If I was set on attending H/S, I would have applied...I clearly didn't, and I got into my top choices at the time, now it's more of a lingering, "what if" type scenario...and I thought I'd ellicit feedback. I don't feel remotely bad about my situation, so I'm in data mining mode.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
exactly what zoinnk said. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Give one of them a try and know that you left it all on the field. If these schools didn't accept R3 applicants why would they have the round in the first place?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Stanford, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg
Send PM
You really don't have much to lose - you're already in at two top schools and you intend to enroll at one of them if you don't get into H or S. I would go for it! Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
Other than the time and the 250$ fees, there is much to lose. AND you can even take a more original/risky approach in your essays because you have other options...
Current Student
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Zoinnk,

I only applied to Chicago, Wharton, and Kellogg. I got into Chicago and Wharton, and then withdrew from Kellogg. I have a strong (bio)technology background, so I'm looking to fill the voids (finance, marketing, and strategy), so Chicago, Wharton, and Kellogg seemed good. I'm not one of those individuals who deeply investigated every program - I have family connections to the Chicago area and one of my good friend recommended Wharton (typical alumn), so that's the gist of the apps...now I'm starting to think a bit more about it and am curious about what I may have ignored...this forum's helpful.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
fluidian wrote:
Zoinnk,

I only applied to Chicago, Wharton, and Kellogg. I got into Chicago and Wharton, and then withdrew from Kellogg. I have a strong (bio)technology background, so I'm looking to fill the voids (finance, marketing, and strategy), so Chicago, Wharton, and Kellogg seemed good. I'm not one of those individuals who deeply investigated every program - I have family connections to the Chicago area and one of my good friend recommended Wharton (typical alumn), so that's the gist of the apps...now I'm starting to think a bit more about it and am curious about what I may have ignored...this forum's helpful.

If you did Wharton, Harvard's essays should be pretty easy for you to do. Stanford's essay should also port well. The only thing you'd really have to write from scratch is Stanford's most important to you essay. Shouldn't take very much incremental effort at least to apply to Harvard.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business '11
 Q47  V46
Send PM
In short, you should only apply if you'd go to those schools before the other M7's you've been accepted to. It sure sounds like this is the case. Pick your top choice between your two admits, and see if you can delay giving the deposit. If you can't, pay it.

Spend a little time repackaging your essays and pay the few hundred smacks it takes to turn in your application. You've got some interviews under your belt and you know your essays work well. If you don't get in, you'll just fall back to your insanely awesome other options. It's better to be denied than to never know.

On a side note, I'm a little bit interested to hear what you'd like to do in your career. I understand the logic you used picking schools, but I also believe there's a big difference between rounding out your skills vs. going to a finance heavy school. If you want to go back to biotech or start your own business in that area, wouldn't it make sense to go with a school with an inherent scientific strength as well? That way you can round out your skills but have the bonus of actually being able to use your background as a strength during recruiting, etc. Of course all of the M7 will in theory get you wherever you want to go, but am I crazy in thinking a school like Stanford or MIT (or other non M7) might be a strong fit for your aspirations?
GMAT Club Bot