Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 09:42 It is currently 23 May 2024, 09:42
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 854 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Consulting, Product Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools:McCombs 2011
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3079 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4634 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Re: From 590 to 710, Target Achieved [#permalink]
Hey Kman,
Congrats ... great score. all the best with your applications ...

did u try gmatclub verbal tests as well?

can you write ur individual scores on the gmat exam?..

Thanks for the tips..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 854 [0]
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Re: From 590 to 710 (Q50, V38), Target Achieved [#permalink]
Thanks Suresh, Gurpreet, Ugimba.

Gurpreet: Have you tried to maintain an error log. For most, mistakes in quant are due to silly mistakes and missing what what the question is asking, etc.. Quant generally improves with practice.
I used Powerscore hard copy.

Ugimba: I used only the quant tests in gmatclub. Scores updated
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Thanks very much for the tips!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard Business School, Stanford
Send PM
Good tips. Good luck on your applications!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: general
Schools:Emory
Send PM
What’s up kman? Great job!!!

I see that you are in Dallas just like me! I’m actually scheduled to take my exam at the center near HW 635 and HW 75.

I took the 7 week veritas course back in November, in which I don’t think I got much out of it to be perfectly honest. But on the flip side, the books and practice from the course have helped out tremendously.

Kman, I need your advice on something: how did you manage your study time? As of now, I’m managing about 2 hours a day on the weekdays and about 5 hours on Saturdays.

The struggle for me is that I work about 40-45 hours a week and by the time I get home, it’s a challenge to get in all the study time I want before I have to crash for the next day for work…..

Any advice?

Btw, I’m scheduled to take my exam March 26th…….
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V38
Send PM
embrya2k wrote:
What’s up kman? Great job!!!

I see that you are in Dallas just like me! I’m actually scheduled to take my exam at the center near HW 635 and HW 75.

I took the 7 week veritas course back in November, in which I don’t think I got much out of it to be perfectly honest. But on the flip side, the books and practice from the course have helped out tremendously.

Kman, I need your advice on something: how did you manage your study time? As of now, I’m managing about 2 hours a day on the weekdays and about 5 hours on Saturdays.

The struggle for me is that I work about 40-45 hours a week and by the time I get home, it’s a challenge to get in all the study time I want before I have to crash for the next day for work…..

Any advice?

Btw, I’m scheduled to take my exam March 26th…….

Thanks, embrya2k, I have a job that requires constant travelling. Last three weeks before the exam I started refusing to travel and I actually took off the week before the exam. I used to study ~ 2 hours on weekdays and a full 7-8 hours on the weekend. I was lucky because, my wife took care of lot of the stuff around the house, so that I can study...
Make a plan and stick to it as much as possible, Agree, its challenging to prepare for an exam such as GMAT with a full time job. But, if we are aspiring to join MBA, I guess we are gonna have to squeeze enough hours out of every day.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks, embrya2k, I have a job that requires constant travelling. Last three weeks before the exam I started refusing to travel and I actually took off the week before the exam. I used to study ~ 2 hours on weekdays and a full 7-8 hours on the weekend. I was lucky because, my wife took care of lot of the stuff around the house, so that I can study...
Make a plan and stick to it as much as possible, Agree, its challenging to prepare for an exam such as GMAT with a full time job. But, if we are aspiring to join MBA, I guess we are gonna have to squeeze enough hours out of every day.[/quote]

Hi Kman,

you've inspired me. I got the exact same score you got the first time. i also wrote around august. can you comment a little more on practice exams. did you use mgmat? i think i def underestimated the verbal, you think the lsat passages can make a huge difference then? did you use them in timed conditions?
thanks for your help, congrats on the great score!
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V38
Send PM
ca_gold wrote:
Make a plan and stick to it as much as possible, Agree, its challenging to prepare for an exam such as GMAT with a full time job. But, if we are aspiring to join MBA, I guess we are gonna have to squeeze enough hours out of every day.

Hi Kman,

you've inspired me. I got the exact same score you got the first time. i also wrote around august. can you comment a little more on practice exams. did you use mgmat? i think i def underestimated the verbal, you think the lsat passages can make a huge difference then? did you use them in timed conditions?
thanks for your help, congrats on the great score![/quote]

ca_gold,
I did take a few MGMAT tests. As I took more, my score improved. Verbal is easy to underestimate, but needs lots of practice. LSAT helps, but be selective while using LSAT. There are a lot of question types in LSAT CR especially, that don't appear on the GMAT. Just look for regular stuff such as weaken, strengthen, assumptions etc. Like I mentioned, LSAT RCs helped me. You can try a few and see if it works for you. Good luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hii

Really encouraging! I took my first attempt last week and scored a miserable 590(Q44,V27). I was completely shattered as i had prepared hard for 1 month and all my mock test scores ranged around 640-680. After reading your post, i am planning to take the GMAT again. And i hope to get 700+ this time! Please guide me on the material that i should use. For the first attempt i had used OG12 and GMAT club grammar book.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Schools: Goizueta '16
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Swatis6 - I am in the same boat as you, although my practice exam scores aren't as high.

Hopefully we can find an answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37473 posts