Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
Re: HEC Montreal - 2009 intake [#permalink]
Hi Lumone,

Maybe you should apply for HEC Paris instead! I met some Canadians here at HEC Paris who told me that HEC Montreal is not as good as HEC Paris. Average age is 30 years, GMAT Average 680, Work experience at least 3 years, 45 nationalities, January and September intake, 16 months, etc...

Let me know if you need information or contacts....

Cheers,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Retail, Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools:HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)
Send PM
edit...

Originally posted by triple5soul on 02 Feb 2009, 13:59.
Last edited by triple5soul on 15 May 2009, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
catgmat wrote:
Hi Lumone,

Maybe you should apply for HEC Paris instead!

I may apply to HEC Paris as well. January 2010 intake.

catgmat wrote:
I met some Canadians here at HEC Paris who told me that HEC Montreal is not as good as HEC Paris. Average age is 30 years, GMAT Average 680, Work experience at least 3 years, 45 nationalities, January and September intake, 16 months, etc...

The GMAT average is going way up. It was 660 when I visited the campus in 2007 and 630 a few years before that. How do you like it so far there?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
triple5soul wrote:
I graduated from HEC Montreal in 2006 (undergrad; B.B.A.). If you would like some information on the faculty,program or Montreal, feel free to PM me.

:arrow: Recruitment
Do companies come especially for MBAs or the HEC Montreal as a whole? Do recruiters make a difference between MBA recruitment and other programs' recruitment?

:arrow: Organisation
Is the school well organised? The administration where I went to undergrad SUCKED. Blaming students for its mistakes, that sort of crap. I do not want to get through something like this again.

:arrow: Cost of living
What's the cost of living in Montreal? How much do you think is necessary per month? This depends on the life style, but I'm not a big spender.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
Hi Lumone,

The GMAT average just climed from 675 to 680 for the January'09 intake and acceptance ratio is 1:5. I am really impressed by HEC Paris curriculum and professors. However, the financial crisis has hit European schools hard and internship / job hunt is more difficult than maybe one year before. The hunt is easier if you are fluent in French to find something in Paris.

Since HEC Paris encourages career changers and teaches Finance, Strategy, Marketing, Innovation and Technology, we have diverse recruiters coming to campus (123 companies just visited for Carrefour Fair). This means that you do no only have Consulting or Finance companies visiting.

The campus is very nice, but honestly a little bit boring. It takes you 45 minutes to go to Paris by RER train which is a little bit annoying... However I am going to move to Paris in sping....

Also note that HEC Paris has the opportunity to do an Double Degree with LSE, NYU, MIT and NUS. Last year approx. 3 candidates got into NYU, the DD with MIT is new so I don't know the yield yet...

Lastly the FT ranking was quite disappointing for all of us since we ranked 18th for two consecutive years and went down last week to 29th. I am sure that we are going up again, but it depends on economy...

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I could also put you in touch with someone of HEC staff or students...

Cheers,

Catgmat
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Retail, Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools:HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)
Send PM
Kudos
Lumone (Bonjour!)

1. Recruitment at HEC is (in my opinion) evenly divided among graduate and undergraduates. Caution: Many "prestigious" employers in Canada, that operate in the US, such as Mck, Bain, BCG, JPM, GS, etc. prefer to recruit at McGill (or universities in Ontario such as Ivey, Queen's or Rotman) rather than HEC. Instead, you will find more opportunities in "French speaking companies" such as La Caisse de Depot du Quebec, La Banque Nationale (brief, local banks and institutions). HEC has a reputable program in accounting and many firms (Deloite, PWC, KPMG, etc.) recruit heavily at HEC.

2. In all honesty, I can't say that I was dissatisfied with the organization of the school (nor was it phenomenal). Class selection is very simple. I apologize if I can't give any more info regarding this question.

3. Montreal must be the most affordable metropolitan city in Canada (vs. Toronto, Vancouver and now Calgary). The city is very much like those you may find in Europe. Many French students (from France) prefer to come here because 1) they can continue to study in their native tongue, 2) Montreal is a beautiful and vibrant city, 3) HEC has a great program (equivalently, it is much more difficult to be admitted to HEC Paris, so many French students enjoy the brand from the Quebec counterpart 4) tuition is very reasonable.

I haven't rented in a while but a one-bedroom (600-700 sq. ft.) can run you $500-600$ a month.

Feel free to contact me by PM.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
invited for interview. 8-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [1]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Kudos
Interviewed last week, and more importantly: admitted to HEC Montreal.

8-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Congrats, Lumone! That was fast!
:-D
Just curious - are you going to matriculate or will you apply to some more places?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi,

My name is Nizam, and I am MBA applicant for HEC Montreal.

I have couple of queries regarding HEC. Kindly answer,

1. What is the average GMAT score for International students at HEC Montreal??
2. How do u rate Placements for Non French speaking students at HEC Montreal??

Thanks, In anticipation of your reply.

Regards,
Nizam
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived HEC Montreal Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our HEC Montreal Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated HEC Montreal Forum for all fresh things related to the HEC Montreal MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts