Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:23 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:MIT, Chicago, Columbia, Yale, Kellogg
 Q49  V43
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Stanford, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Re: Toughest decision of my life [#permalink]
Tack me up to the "go for it" column. A lot of b-schools love that type of thing to begin with since you will add some diversity to their student body. Plus, if you love doing it and it ties into what you want to do in the future it makes sense!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
mojo-

2 years ago I was basically in your exact same spot.

I had worked as an IT consultant for 3 years, didn't hate it persay, got to work on some interesting projects and definitely make a lot more $$ that I had before. But I also was really getting into traveling / foreign affairs / social enterprise, which is why I signed up for the peace corps(foreign aid agency of the US govt in case you're international). 2 years later I'm so glad I did it, experience of a lifetime and so many takeaways. My first glance thoughts on your situation are:

1-Just my opinion but if you are really looking to work on a project where you can make a real impact, you should probably commit to something for at least 6 months to a year, especially if the project involves any language-learning on your part. If you just do something for a couple months that will scream 'Im just doing this to build my resume'. Again just my opinion.

2-Do you think you're going to want to concentrate in social enterprise for your MBA?

3-Are you looking to do something entirely different from your background? For example I'm in social enterprise, but I do a lot of IT work as part of my position. You may be able to get more done quicker that way.

All and all I guess my main point is that when it comes to post-college / pre-MBA, a lot of people, especially bright ones like yourself want to say 'alright I want to finish this project by age XX, become a manager by age XX, and have my MBA by age XX', and I assure you that the more you get into social enterprise the more you'll realize that these int'l projects don't move on anything like a US schedule, you can't be in a hurry. But if that's ok by you, I think you are definitely on the right track. After all, there's so much time to work a typical US office job if you ever want to go back to it.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more in depth.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
mojoman wrote:
Hopefully, you guys can provide some insight here.

I did my undergrad and grad at a top 10 and top 3 school respectively (in the US), both in CS. I've been working for a few months now, but...I'm not really enjoying it. That said, I've always wanted to do an MBA at a top-notch school (who doesn't? :P ), so here's my dilemma.

I'm thinking of quitting my job, and start working with non-profits or NGOs in developing regions (most likely in South Asia). I did do research with NGOs while in grad school, and that was something I enjoyed tremendously.

Now...could this move work against me when I start sending in my apps later this year?

Since everyone has already listed the plus, I'll give you something else to concider. I think you need to be careful of switching jobs during a global recession. Right now there is high global unemployment and the money for projects just aren't flowing like it use to.

Secondly, I think you need to address WHY you hate your job. I think with a few months under your belt, I feel it would almost be better if you stayed, know why you dislike it, and if there are any jobs you might like. If you do MBA and get a post-MBA job that you also hate, then I think you've wasted that opportunity.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Venture Capital
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
mojoman wrote:
Hopefully, you guys can provide some insight here.

I did my undergrad and grad at a top 10 and top 3 school respectively (in the US), both in CS. I've been working for a few months now, but...I'm not really enjoying it. That said, I've always wanted to do an MBA at a top-notch school (who doesn't? :P ), so here's my dilemma.

I'm thinking of quitting my job, and start working with non-profits or NGOs in developing regions (most likely in South Asia). I did do research with NGOs while in grad school, and that was something I enjoyed tremendously.

Now...could this move work against me when I start sending in my apps later this year?

A good friend of mine did just this and got into Wharton. If this is what you want to do post-MBA, and if you're sincerely passionate about it (not just doing it because it might look good to adcom), then I'd say go for it. Incidently, my friend didn't end up doing this sort of work post-MBA - he's a finance guy today - but nevertheless, he was passionate about this, and it had a major impact on his life. Also, I think it depends on your age. If you're toward the older end of the spectrum, you may want to be more cautious about this. And to reiterate what an earlier post mentioned, if you want to stay in your current industry post-MBA, this wouldn't be a good move. Another consideration: since you've only been working a few months, I'd be concerned that adcoms might view this as evidence of indecisiveness or lack of commitment. You'd probably have to address that, at least during interviews.
GMAT Club Bot