Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 23:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Re: How Bschool Applicants Select List of Schools to Apply [#permalink]
nink wrote:
[color=#0000BF]A recent survey by the Graduate Management Admission Council finds that nearly three-quarters of prospective MBA students find a college's website to be a key part of their decision-making progress when it comes to choosing a program.

According to GMAC, the business school websites were found to be more influential on students' decisions than published rankings, which were more influential than traditional advertising.

I found it interesting how some schools would have excellent websites about their MBA program but once you drilled down a bit, aka to specific clubs, professors, programs etc there was a big dropoff in quality. You figure that most schools must have a fulltime webmaster to take care of all of the high traffic parts of their website, but after that its in the student's hands.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
I never used the website quality in my decision process. Even if it has been all text and links, like the Berkshire website, I would still have picked the same school.

It seems odd that people who consider the quality of the website, especially when choosing among the Top 10-20.

I would definitly not have guessed the results of that survey.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
falibay wrote:
Even if it has been all text and links, like the Berkshire website, I would still have picked the same school.

That would be an upgrade for Duke's website. They made it all fancy and stuff, to the point that I found it incredibly frustrating to locate the information I needed to make the decision whether to apply. :cry:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
How Bschool Applicants Select List of Schools to Apply [#permalink]

Originally posted by FormerArmyDude on 18 Mar 2009, 10:57.
Last edited by FormerArmyDude on 25 Oct 2023, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
nink wrote:

The survey also found some differences among MBA students depending on their age group. For example, those under age 30 were more likely to place a greater emphasis on a school's reputation for job placement, while those over age 31 were more likely to value the convenience and location of a business program.

The younger students were more likely to be concerned about a program's cost, while older students reportedly place a higher value on accreditation and curriculum, as well as the overall classroom experience.

I am mega confused here. Aren't reputation and accredititation strongly correlated? If so, doesn't the second paragraph contradict the first?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
falibay wrote:
Even if it has been all text and links, like the Berkshire website, I would still have picked the same school.

That would be an upgrade for Duke's website. They made it all fancy and stuff, to the point that I found it incredibly frustrating to locate the information I needed to make the decision whether to apply. :cry:

I totally agree with u rca215. If a school fails to present an effective website, that definitely tells about how non-coherent they are to attract and encourage students to apply.

ratings are interesting to look at, but u will be the one attending the school, not a BW journalist
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
My selection method consisted solely of the US News Rankings, a bottle of Maker's Mark, a trained monkey and 5 darts...

Seriously though, I am surprised people put that much weight on the quality of the website. I certainly used the information available on the schools' websites as part of my research, but didn't consider my judgment of the quality of website design in deciding where to apply. In all honesty, I thought most schools' websites were pretty difficult to navigate and find all the information I was looking for.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bump - good thread!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Nice article. I just finished reading Freakanomics recently and I remember there was some study done that showed people would be willing to pay more for the same beverage if it was bought from a more upscale looking place as opposed to a run down place. If the average person is willing to pay more for the same bottle of beer based on where they buy it from I can see how websites can alter the average person's perception of a University. Perception matters and thats why websites matter - because for most people the website is the first point of contact with the university.
GMAT Club Bot