Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:34 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Re: RIP, MBA [#permalink]
AlexMBAApply wrote:
So will these VCs and small startups ALONE allow for affordable prescriptions to the millions of Americans who need them and, just as importantly, available to the billions around the world?

I guess my bone to pick is when people say "the market has failed". The free market does one thing, it allocates resources most efficiently. It does that better than any other system out there. It takes the dispersed knowledge that exists and, in the end, rewards the most efficient way of doing things.

So when someone says "the market failed to provide equal access to health care for all Americans" it sounds as silly to me as if someone said "my toaster failed to make me a good cup of coffee this morning."

So is gov't involvement necessary if we wish to achieve a certain social ideal? Yes. However, the gov't has time and time again treated the free market as the goose that lays the golden egg. The gov't sees the wealth the markets create and thinks "lets cut this thing open and use the gold eggs to pay for health care!!".

The result? An even worse situation than if the gov't had just left things alone.

So my argument is not that the market has failed, but that people have failed to understand the market.

For example, the big push to have every American buy a home could have been handled much better by just providing grants to people to help them buy a home, rather than providing incentives for riskier and riskier lending.

RF
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Re: RIP, MBA Part Deux! [#permalink]
Refurb, if kudos still existed that post deserves a bunch of them.

One other point I'd like to make about affordable prescription drugs: there are plenty of affordable prescription drugs. I even saw that my local grocery's pharmacy dept is giving away antibiotics (obviously you need a prescription :wink: ). It doesn't get more affordable than that. However, innovation is expensive. The newest biotech drugs are incredibly complex and difficult to manufacture. Even for traditional pharmaceuticals the R&D and approval process is time consuming and extraordinarily expensive. On average, it costs about $1 billion these days to bring a drug to market. So yes, the latest and greatest therapies are very expensive, and rightfully so to encourage companies to take the risk of bringing new therapies to market. Just saying that 'we need more affordable prescription drugs' misses this complexity. It's like saying we need more affordable cars because Ferraris and Lamborghinis are too expensive for most people to afford.

Of course, prescription drugs are a bit more important to people's wellbeing than a new Ferrari (although I wouldn't mind evaluating exactly how a Ferrari could improve my well being), and I agree that the government should do what it can to make sure that people who can't afford these new therapies have access to the treatment they need without it bankrupting them. However, any approach that government takes to do this must not destroy the financial reward for creating new therapies - as price controls would do. Otherwise we run a huge risk of stifling innovation, which in the long run would make us all worse off.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: RIP, MBA [#permalink]
Here in Australia, the government did provide grants - the result ? House prices artificially inflated. Having said that I fully agree with your post refurb. +1

refurb wrote:
For example, the big push to have every American buy a home could have been handled much better by just providing grants to people to help them buy a home, rather than providing incentives for riskier and riskier lending.

RF
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Alex,

I'm going to have to disagree with a lot of what you said in your post, especially as it relates to each of the policy/industry areas you mentioned. Although, I have to first ask one question, what is the one thing each of the areas you mentioned have in common? Answer: heavy government intervention through either regulation or supervision. I would argue that the free market would do a much better job of allocating the resources necessary for those industries to thrive, but the problem is they most likely will not achieve the social goals that politicians have set for them. I mean lets be honest, government and business have very conflicting ideas in each of the areas you mentioned.

Let's first look at the monoply that is public education: government doesn't aim to provide the best education possible to its population, it serves to provide a base level of education that serves the basic needs of everyone. It competes with no one and therefore is less innovative and more expensive than if education were left to the free market. In the instance of public schools, I believe allowing private and charter schools to compete for parents' tax dollars would be a much better system for holding schools and teachers accountable, especially for schools in high minority neighborhoods that need help the most. That's what the free market does, it produces a better product by weeding out the weakest schools and teachers. Giving children vouchers to attend private schools is just one way this is being done, but we need much, much more if we ever want to make a difference. But, at the same time the teachers unions' and other government beauracracies fight ANY challenges to the status quo, and are by far the main obstacle to any sort of functional education system in this country.

How about healthcare? How much does government interfere in free markets to advance social policies? Why do I have to buy mental health coverage and maternity coverage if I want a simple medical plan? Why do I need Substance Abuse coverage? I don't want to pay for these coverages because I will never use them, but state mandates require them in any healthplan. How much cheaper might health insurance be if I could only pay for the coverages that I feel are necessary for my situation? What if I could buy coverage across state lines, much like I can a 529 plan? Also, the other problem with healthcare is that government wants to make it free to accomplish its social goals, which further complicates things and makes a free market solution impossible. The free market, if left alone, would gladly allocate the resources in such a way that health insurance could be affordable to everyone, but unfortunately for us, this solution would conflict with political goals and therefore will never be a realty.

Finally, let's talk about poverty. There are two things that any society requires to become a major economy, 1. political stability/enforcement of private property rights and 2. a market based economy for allocating goods and services. If there needed to be a 2b, I would say that an abundance of natural resources would also help. I would argue that an education system and affordable healthcare are by products and not necessary for a country to grow economicaly. I mean look at the US up until the 1960s...we didn't have what you might call 'affordable healthcare' and we were growing just fine (I would argue that public health costs are actually stunting our growth). What is much more important is the rule of law and enforcement of private contracts that will allow outside capital to be invested in your country and will do more to raise your people out of poverty than any social program the government can produce. This might result in the so-called rich getting richer, but it is also that a rising tide raises all ships.

Anyway, to sum up it up, I would argue that government disrupts markets much more than it helps and skews incentives and rewards in an inefficient manner. There is also the law of unintended consequences when government begins to change the carrots and the sticks, which more often than not costs ALL OF US more money.
GMAT Club Bot