Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 23:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Booth 2012
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Re: Suits [#permalink]
egy wrote:
I have had a couple pairs of Allen Edmonds over the years and they are sooo uncomfortable. Maybe it's just my feet though.

I completely agree. Allen Edmonds shoes are horribly uncomfortable.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
I know its been mentioned in this thread, does anyone which line/fit is the one to go with on Brooks Brothers suits? They have some pretty good deals running right now from 2 for 700 (Suiting Essentials) to 2 for 1500 (1818) w/ additional 30% off.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V39
Send PM
unhedged wrote:
I know its been mentioned in this thread, does anyone which line/fit is the one to go with on Brooks Brothers suits? They have some pretty good deals running right now from 2 for 700 (Suiting Essentials) to 2 for 1500 (1818) w/ additional 30% off.

The Fitzgerald personally fits me the best (I'm thin), but only comes in single vent, which I'm not a fan of. So, if I were to buy a Brooks Brothers, that's what I'd buy.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
This thread speaks to me.

Consider Canali, they are very nice and generally reasonably priced ($1000 ish)
Absolutely get it tailored. Pro-tip, when buying a suit get one they need to take in a bit rather one they need to let out -- that way if you gain a few pounds you won't be SOL. Please don't go funeral black. Stick with dark navy or charcoal. Please don't try to pull off brown or white or anything else. For the love of god make sure it's tailored right. There is nothing worse than an untailored suit.

Shoes, Ferragamo is my personal choice, but largely out of necessity - I'm a 13 and a narrow foot. There's basically two shoes that fit me: Ferragamo and Reebok.

Shirt, please skip the Gordon gecko shirts.

Ironically, I can dress myself in a suit but can't dress business casual to save my life.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
This thread speaks to me.

Consider Canali, they are very nice and generally reasonably priced ($1000 ish)

Canali is amazing. Fits like a glove and you can buy at Nordstrom for $1,300. Their stock suit is built the way all suits ought to be cut, at least for someone that is on the thin side and likes sculpted suits. They are my absolute favorite if you can swallow the price tag.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Kudos
Fit is all relative, for both suits and shoes. To say a certain brand fits you like a glove and thus everyone else should get one too, that doesn't really make sense.

*Traditionally*, a black suit is not really appropriate for business or even social events. Black suits are for funerals and waiting tables.

Now, we live in 2009, a male in America who is between 25 and 35 years old has probably seen more black suits at weddings, night clubs, at work, at business conferences, than any other color. In short, a black suit was "wrong" for business at one time, but now it has become acceptable, mainly because a million others have made the mistake for you already. Its probably the Calvin Klein effect from the 80s evolved into Armani and Hugo Boss in the 90s.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, GM, Energy, Technology
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
Send PM
rhyme, you're a baller now since you've graduated! Time to get some bespoke shoes too, heh. You should be getting John Lobbs and Edward Greens, c'mon!

As for suits, just remember that there is a difference between banking folks and non-banking folks. If you want to work in finance, stick with the rules (e.g. non-black dark suits, black or brown shoes only, etc.), because they tend to dress much more conservatively.

Pin stripes on anything (shirts or suits) are considered less formal. Wingtips are considered less formal. Again, this stuff really matters more in banking than in other areas. For corporate or consulting, as long as you don't look like a slob, it won't hurt you. Don't think wearing a suit means you won't look like a slob -- wearing an oversized suit with a gaudy shirt and tie definitely does not project a well put together image.

Regarding rhyme's pro-tip, just remember that a good tailor can take in almost every part of the suit EXCEPT the shoulders. You should find a suit that fits your shoulders perfectly (i.e. the suit should not stick out over your shoulder), and then find a good tailor to fix everything else. Also note that for pants, taking it in more than two inches will probably be quite challenging.

I have a black suit (while not appropriate for business, there are occasions where you do need them), and a charcoal gray suit. I will probably get a light gray suit first, then consider getting a navy blue suit next despite conventional wisdom. Yes, I am not going into banking.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
unhedged wrote:

I saw that one too, I need two suit too for bschool (I think), for interview and then recruiting for the next two years. Try it out and see how they fit you. I think the two for 700 is a great deal.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
i have to say that if you're going to a school on the West Coast, DON'T worry too much about the suit stuff, unless you're going into banking. Most people will wear navy or charcoal colored suits (striped or not), and I've pulled off brown quite a few times (sorry to disappoint you, rhyme :P), but things are a lot more relaxed here than on the East Coast.

Just wanted to give a different perspective.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Interesting thread. To offer a kryzak style regional twist on suits if you are coming to Oxbridge, you'll definitely need a black suit for your subfusc that you are expected to wear to all exams, matriculation and graduation ceremonies. I am going with dark navy pinstripe, charcoal and black suits + a dinner suit (for all those formal Harry Potter style college dinners :oops: ).

Also remember that doesn't matter how smart the suit is, sometimes the shirt and tie can make or break the look. :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
I agree...
Tie, belt and shoes pretty much seal the deal!

buffdaddy wrote:
Interesting thread. To offer a kryzak style regional twist on suits if you are coming to Oxbridge, you'll definitely need a black suit for your subfusc that you are expected to wear to all exams, matriculation and graduation ceremonies. I am going with dark navy pinstripe, charcoal and black suits + a dinner suit (for all those formal Harry Potter style college dinners :oops: ).

Also remember that doesn't matter how smart the suit is, sometimes the shirt and tie can make or break the look. :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Interesting discussion. :-D

On one hand we have ultra conservative students from UK who wears suits to exams, on the other hand, we have students from Cali who probably wear shorts to exams.

What are the expectations of interviews from these two regions of schools? Should students dress differently for interviews for different schools? I would like to hear your takes on this, Thanks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
A few years ago, I picked up three suits for work: Charcoal Hugo 3-button, Black Hugo 3-button, and a Black pinstripe Canali 3-button. This was before I knew anything about suits (although my current knowledge is still somewhat lacking), so I didn't realize how ridiculous a 3-button looks on me. Additionally, I have gained about 20 pounds in the last four months, so I doubt the old suits will fit anyhow.

I will probably ditch the two Hugos but still want to hold on to the Canali. I agree with Rhyme in the quality of their suits; it feels so nice being hugged by that fabric beast. I'm going to start looking around for discounts, as I will probably pick-up two or three suits before school starts. We have a Barney's outlet nearby where nice suits can be found in the $500-$600 range.

I also fully agree on the comfort of Allen Edmonds shoes. I've been wearing a pair of cap-toed oxfords for about three years now, and they still feel and look incredible. AE also offers a reconditioning service for $95. I sent them in before my interview, and they came back looking virtually brand new.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Yea I definitely see the West Coast being much more casual. I live/work there right now so I can definitely see a lot of things pass for business casual here that wouldn't on the east coast even in the same company.

I also am interested in billyjeans Q about if its necessary to approach different schools with dress habits. I'd like to go to school on the West Coast, but want to get the standards just in case. I figured 1 navy/1 charcoal from Brooks would be the safest bet. My main concern is I don't know what quality suit is good enough.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
unhedged wrote:
Yea I definitely see the West Coast being much more casual. I live/work there right now so I can definitely see a lot of things pass for business casual here that wouldn't on the east coast even in the same company.

That brings up a funny point regarding our admit weekend. At first we told people to wear "business casual", and it went from jeans and polo shirt to full suit (without the tie). That's when we realized East Coasters have a different definition of "business casual" than we do out here. :P Then we went with "smart casual" and specified that jeans and polos are ok, and we still got some people wearing slacks and button long sleeve shirts (what we consider "business casual" on the west coast).

Go figure! :)
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
MeddlingKid wrote:
A few years ago, I picked up three suits for work: Charcoal Hugo 3-button, Black Hugo 3-button, and a Black pinstripe Canali 3-button. This was before I knew anything about suits (although my current knowledge is still somewhat lacking), so I didn't realize how ridiculous a 3-button looks on me. Additionally, I have gained about 20 pounds in the last four months, so I doubt the old suits will fit anyhow.

I will probably ditch the two Hugos but still want to hold on to the Canali. I agree with Rhyme in the quality of their suits; it feels so nice being hugged by that fabric beast. I'm going to start looking around for discounts, as I will probably pick-up two or three suits before school starts. We have a Barney's outlet nearby where nice suits can be found in the $500-$600 range.

I also fully agree on the comfort of Allen Edmonds shoes. I've been wearing a pair of cap-toed oxfords for about three years now, and they still feel and look incredible. AE also offers a reconditioning service for $95. I sent them in before my interview, and they came back looking virtually brand new.

I can't vouch for the quality or anything like that, but this shop in Chicago has made to measure suits for around $500. That is an amazing deal!!! I've seen made-to-measures at no less than $900 here in Houston. Maybe pick up one now and then pick up another in Septemeber when you get to school.
https://nicholas-joseph.com/
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
MeddlingKid wrote:

I can't vouch for the quality or anything like that, but this shop in Chicago has made to measure suits for around $500. That is an amazing deal!!! I've seen made-to-measures at no less than $900 here in Houston. Maybe pick up one now and then pick up another in Septemeber when you get to school.
https://nicholas-joseph.com/

That's a very good price for a bespoke suit, but before I jumped in I'd try and find some people who had used that shop before. Quality of workmanship can vary pretty dramatically, so you'd want to make sure you're not buying a suit that's going to fall apart first time you have it cleaned.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5