Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 06:03 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Resume formats for apps and recommenders [#permalink]
Thanks, guys. The plan is definitely to stick to one page, and I have read arguments both for and against putting education first. The way I have it right now, W/E is first, then education, then others (i.e. hobbies and extracurriculars).

I wasnt able to find the Kellogg format anywhere, but let me try searching again.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
any special tips on having 1 employer resumes? I have 1 employer since graduating from college, and also had 2 technical (CompSci) internships during college? Should I leave only my full time employer on my resume? How can I use only 1 employer to fill a page?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
I had a one employer resume..focus on the details of the role..if you had multiple roles..discuss them separately..feel free to pm me..

depending on the number of years experience..i dont think there is much value in discussing internships..
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
LBS is one page - very strict, but you can take some liberties with font size etc. I had to fit 9 years WE and 7-8 different roles in 1 page. Good luck :P Put education first if you have been working for less than 2-3 years and if your undergrad is particularly impressive. Otherwise, put work experience first.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
I had a 1 employer resume, and listed each of my 2 positions with that employer separately so I could talk about each separately. My layout and approximate % of space on the page was:

Header (contact info)-5%
Education-10% (listed basic info: degree, majors, GPA, scholarships & honors)
Work experience-50% (brief overview of responsibilities for each role, with more space devoted to accomplishments)
Extracurriculars-35% (overview of involvement & detailed accompishments)

Even though I agree since it's a academic resume the education section should come before w/e, I wanted to highlight my w/e and extracurriculars more than education in my resume, both because I graduated from undergrad 8 years ago and also because with transcripts and other academic info elsewhere in the application, I didn't want to devote valuable real estate here to duplicative info.
Current Student
Send PM
My resume had:
- header - 5%
- education - 15%
- WE (full time, two key internships) - 65%
- ECs - 15%

I've had only one full-time employer since college but had three separate roles at that company (the one I was hired into, then two subsequent promotions). I broke out the roles, and had 3-4 bullet points underneath each one, describing my key achievements. I also included two key internships, one demonstrating my int'l experience and another that highlighted some analytical work that I did. Each of these had 2-3 bullet points as well.

Oh and also, all my bullet points followed the STAR format: situation, task, action and result.
Director
Director
Send PM
isa, thats a good point about the STAR format. I hadnt taken that into account; can you give an example ?

So far Ive focused on using action words to start off every bullet, like 'led', or 'developed', and have tried to remove as much technical language and focus on the impact of the actions
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Product Management
Schools:Kellogg, Wharton, Booth, Columbia, MIT, NYU
 Q47  V41
Send PM
where can I find resume books. I tried searching this forum but couldn't find any :(
Director
Director
Send PM
cozmo, do a search on the forum for Tuck resume book and Wharton resume book. I found those two posted here from a couple of years ago. Id get you the links, but Im too lazy and late for a meeting :D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Here is a link I found from Foster about the STAR format:

https://bschool.washington.edu/career/BC ... Resume.pdf
Current Student
Send PM
pmenon wrote:
isa, thats a good point about the STAR format. I hadnt taken that into account; can you give an example ?

So far Ive focused on using action words to start off every bullet, like 'led', or 'developed', and have tried to remove as much technical language and focus on the impact of the actions

They're probably not that great but a couple of examples from my resume: (I took out the numbers and replaced them with letters)
- Re-engineered and optimized system usage in a large organization of X hospitals and Y clinics; resulted in increased system adoption among clinical users from Z% to W%
- Manage an X-member multi-product team in the design and implementation of a $Y million electronic medical records project in a large organization of Q hospitals and W clinics
- Managed a team of X analysts in rapid implementation of electronic medical records at a Y-bed hospital; achieved client goals Z% under budget and in a considerably shortened timeline

Some opening words for bullet on my resume: managed, led, supervised, designed, coordinated, achieved.
GMAT Club Bot