Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 11:25 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 11:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6814 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Re: GMAT Take 2 - 710 to 710: some lesssons learned [#permalink]
sm332 wrote:
attention to what are perceived weaknesses vs true weaknesses.

With your experience, how do you distinguish btw the perceived and true weaknesses? I'm in the same boat, but I dont know how to do next!

Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
Send PM
Excellent question mate - I will try and provide a cogent answer using my own experience.

From my first GMAT attempt way back last April I knew that I had to work on SC (I basically attempted on the first attempt without any verbal prep other than practice questions on OG and GMATPrep) and I felt that I needed to make some improvements in DS (specifically in number properties and inequalities).

With the benefit of hindsight my practice was not structured to truly address the the perceived math weakness and I also neglected to improve on speed and just solidity in all aspects of quant. e.g. Even if i were to guess on the 2-3 inequality DS questions one can expect to see - it wouldnt explain the drastic drop in my quant score.

My conclusion is that my quant fundamentals werent as strong as I thought and my time would have been better spent on really getting them to where they needed to be.

I may be wrong - unfortunately the GMAT doesnt provide us with a breakdown of what types of questions we get wrong to really address in future attempts.

I am in two minds right now whether to spend another 75-100 hours to fix the problem areas and give it another go. My logical self says that it would be a pointless exercise - my egotistical and proud self says I can tame the beast!!

My wife (i.e., Ultimate Master) says I am stupid for even thinking about sinking more time into this endeavor and I should focus on churning out above average essays.

I will keep folks posted on where I land.

sondenso wrote:
sm332 wrote:

With your experience, how do you distinguish btw the perceived and true weaknesses? I'm in the same boat, but I dont know how to do next!

Thanks
SVP
SVP
Send PM
sm Have you decided to give the schools a shot for class of 2012 ? If so, I'd say dont bother. The GMAT is "good enough" for most schools. The real fun begins with the essays.
Current Student
Send PM
yeah mate ... I have to apply this year to commence next year. I am getting old and dont think I can wait any longer. :lol:

bsd_lover wrote:
sm Have you decided to give the schools a shot for class of 2012 ? If so, I'd say dont bother. The GMAT is "good enough" for most schools. The real fun begins with the essays.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Awesome post. I can only say I wish I had your score ! I had my first attempt back in September 2008, and wasnt entirely convinced that I should retake after getting a 680. Ive pretty much got both feet in the 'retake' boat now :)
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
Listen to the Ultimate Master!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
sm332 wrote:
yeah mate ... I have to apply this year to commence next year. I am getting old and dont think I can wait any longer. :lol:

bsd_lover wrote:

Definitely don't try again. You're score is good and your splits look balanced.
Current Student
Send PM
I have taken my master's (read as wife) advice and hence no re-take for me.

highhopes wrote:
sm332 wrote:

bsd_lover wrote:

Definitely don't try again. You're score is good and your splits look balanced.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Your master is wise. Start writing essays already - its a lot of work ... one doesn't realise until one starts.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6814 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Many thanks mate, good luck with your application

sm332 wrote:
Excellent question mate - I will try and provide a cogent answer using my own experience.

From my first GMAT attempt way back last April I knew that I had to work on SC (I basically attempted on the first attempt without any verbal prep other than practice questions on OG and GMATPrep) and I felt that I needed to make some improvements in DS (specifically in number properties and inequalities).

With the benefit of hindsight my practice was not structured to truly address the the perceived math weakness and I also neglected to improve on speed and just solidity in all aspects of quant. e.g. Even if i were to guess on the 2-3 inequality DS questions one can expect to see - it wouldnt explain the drastic drop in my quant score.

My conclusion is that my quant fundamentals werent as strong as I thought and my time would have been better spent on really getting them to where they needed to be.

I may be wrong - unfortunately the GMAT doesnt provide us with a breakdown of what types of questions we get wrong to really address in future attempts.

I am in two minds right now whether to spend another 75-100 hours to fix the problem areas and give it another go. My logical self says that it would be a pointless exercise - my egotistical and proud self says I can tame the beast!!

My wife (i.e., Ultimate Master) says I am stupid for even thinking about sinking more time into this endeavor and I should focus on churning out above average essays.

I will keep folks posted on where I land.

sondenso wrote:
sm332 wrote:

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Point #3: This is a tough one for me. Everyone says pick a date for the exam, or you will not be focused. But then again like you said, you need to be hitting your target score on GMATPrep.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
sm332,

Congrats on that score and I'm sure doors of opportunities will open for you!

What prep materials did you use the 1st & 2nd time around? Thanks sharing your experience.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts