Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:01 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Yale SOM 2011
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink]
bostonsparky wrote:
Oh also, how did the apartment searching go for everyone? Would be interested to hear impressions.

Furthermore I definitely fall in the 'looking to share an apartment/house close to the action' boat. If anyone who went to BDW is looking for a roommate PM me.

They did a apartment tour on Sunday and you had the choice to go on the urban tour (Station 9, etc) or the suburban tour (Alexan Farms, etc).

I went on the suburban tour and was pretty impressed with Alexan Farms. You can get quite nice places starting around $750/month for a 1 bed/1 bath apartment all the way down to $575/month for a 1 bed/1 bath that is in an older building.

It might be worthwhile doing some looking on your own. A friend was talking to some current students and there is a place near Station 9 that had townhouses for rent cheaper than the 1 bed/1 bath at Station 9. I drove by it and it looked pretty nice.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Thanks rf. Once I am stateside early June (most likely in DC) I'm going to head down to durham, hopefully all the decent places won't be snapped up by then. Sounds like those townhomes by station 9 could be right up my alley.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Yale SOM 2011
 Q44  V42
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
Oh also, how did the apartment searching go for everyone? Would be interested to hear impressions.

Furthermore I definitely fall in the 'looking to share an apartment/house close to the action' boat. If anyone who went to BDW is looking for a roommate PM me.

If I end up at Duke I will live at station 9. From speaking with current students its the place to be if your looking to be near the action, btu can be loud at times. :twisted: (should be blue)
Current Student
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
Thanks rf. Once I am stateside early June (most likely in DC) I'm going to head down to durham, hopefully all the decent places won't be snapped up by then. Sounds like those townhomes by station 9 could be right up my alley.

The place is called Poplar West. It seems really cheap ($750 for a 2 bed townhouse) compared to the surrounding apartments, so I'm not sure how nice they are. The pictures look pretty decent.

Check out https://www.hotpads.com it's got a nice Google maps-like interface and you can quickly get a sense for where stuff is.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
I just found out that Duke University has a wiki site!

https://www.duiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

RF
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Kudos
Hey, all! Praet pointed this thread out to me and asked me to re-post here. Sorry I never even realized this thread had started - haven't been around good ole GC a whole lot... :oops:

Quote:

Haven't been around much, but just wanted to say congrats to those who have matriculated! Welcome to Durham - a bit early. And because I can't resist, here are some of my local favorites:

Car Repair: Ingold Tire, corner of Buchanan and Chapel Hill.
Great prices, and as honest as they come.
Salon: Caju Salon, Meadowmont Village just into Chapel Hill. Owned by a Fuqua alum.
My friends who know these things say it's the best salon in the Triangle. I like April.
Barber: Dennis Best Men's Salon, Main St.
Very affordable, does a great job on ndhlp's hair.
Dry Cleaning: Koretizing Cleaners, 2716 Hillsborough Rd
I LOVE them. Amazing, personal service. Use organic stuff that doesn't stink at ALL.
Dentist: Brent Blaylock, 3206 Chapel Hill Rd, 919-493-8036
Many Fuquans in my class found him. The quintessential southern dentist.
Cupcakes & Sandwiches: Parker and Otis, in Brightleaf.
A fabulous business! I did all my events at school with them.
Late-Night Cramming Session: Honey's, Guess Road, near I-85
Mediocre food (except the chicken salad) but cheap bad coffee! Open all night with free Wi-Fi
Off-Site Team Meeting: Broad Street Cafe, Broad St and Club Blvd
Coffee, great simple food, and booze, plus wi-fi. Everything you need to be productive.
Neighborhood Pub: Dain's Place, 9th St.
Durham's non-smoking joint. Tell Oz (looks a bit like a pirate) that I sent you.
Best Dinner: Watt's Grocery, next to Broad St Cafe
American eclectic with a strong southern influence - emphasis on local sourcing
Best Breakfast: Elmo's. 9th St.
The Chilaquilles make me weep, they're so good. The ultimate modern diner experience.
Animal Care: Chapel Hill Mobile Veterinary Housecalls, https://www.chapelhillvet.com
Sunita is great, and my cats are much calmer if they can stay at home - worth the extra cost

Ok, I think I'm getting home-sick for Durham, and I haven't even left yet!

If you're getting to town before I leave (sometime between June 15 and July 1), shoot me a PM. I'll meet you at P&O or Dain's or whatever!

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5