Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 19:04 It is currently 22 May 2024, 19:04
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Ideal semester for applying for B-School? [#permalink]
billyjeans wrote:
I think most people finish gmat by July and that way will give you 3 month to compete for the 1st round deadline. Good luck!

oh so if i miss the "first round" i gotta wait an entire year? Oct-Nov is first round - is it really "easy" to get all the materials for that round? Now is june and i probably wont be taking the exam till august-September to give a real shot at a good score... it is not too late by then?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Like others said, there are three rounds for application. You can take the GMAT pretty much whenever you want as long as you can get your GMAT score report to the school by the due date of the application. I think the latest you can take the GMAT is about two weeks before the deadline.

You can start prepping your application as early/late as you like. I think if you read the threads on this forum, you'll find that some people started preparing in June/July for an Oct due date, while others started in September. Some people also chose to do GMAT then focus on apps, while others did both things at once. I think the folks in the latter category found it to be fairly time consuming and difficult to manage with full time work.

If you miss the first round in terms of preparation, you can apply in the second round. That being said, you can't "officially" start an application for one round, then complete it in the next. Usually apps have two parts, and I think most schools require payment when you complete part 1 and you also have to declare which round you're applying, in that section.

hope this helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
oh so if i miss the "first round" i gotta wait an entire year? Oct-Nov is first round - is it really "easy" to get all the materials for that round? Now is june and i probably wont be taking the exam till august-September to give a real shot at a good score... it is not too late by then?

No, you can apply in the Jan round.

However, if you plan on applying to 4 or 5 schools, it's not a trivial amount of work.

I wrote my GMAT in June, took a month off, then spent all of August through Dec doing applications. Probably spent 15-20 hours/week during that time.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
if i start in second round in Jan, do i miss out anything from 1st round? Just a bit confused... And how many schools do people usually apply to?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
if i start in second round in Jan, do i miss out anything from 1st round? Just a bit confused... And how many schools do people usually apply to?

Shaselai, I think you're confused. You don't miss out on anything, because those that apply in Round 1,2,3 all start school at the exact same time (The following Fall). Therefore, if you can get them ready by Round 1, apply. If you can get them ready by Round 2, apply. Those two rounds are basically interchangeable in terms of difficulty in getting in. Unless you have a VERY strong application, Round 3 is generally signficantly more difficult. Nonetheless, if you're admitted in any of these rounds, you then actually start school the following fall.

Therefore:

Round 1 (App due October/November) start school in August/September of 2010
Round 2 (App due January) start school in August/September of 2010
Round 3 (App due in April) start school in August/September of 2010.

Hope that helps.
Current Student
Send PM
ACNguy wrote:
shaselai wrote:

Shaselai, I think you're confused. You don't miss out on anything, because those that apply in Round 1,2,3 all start school at the exact same time (The following Fall). Therefore, if you can get them ready by Round 1, apply. If you can get them ready by Round 2, apply. Those two rounds are basically interchangeable in terms of difficulty in getting in. Unless you have a VERY strong application, Round 3 is generally signficantly more difficult. Nonetheless, if you're admitted in any of these rounds, you then actually start school the following fall.

Therefore:

Hope that helps.

oh ok. so do the rounds affect how many openings are left? I guess the earlier the better in terms of getting a decision quicker?
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
ACNguy wrote:
shaselai wrote:

Therefore:

Hope that helps.

oh ok. so do the rounds affect how many openings are left? I guess the earlier the better in terms of getting a decision quicker?

The single most important factor is making sure you have enough time to put together a complete, articulate and fully developed application. If you have to rush to get into Round 1, you're better off waiting until Round 2 to ensure the application is as strong as possible. Round 3 becomes significantly more difficult than the previous 2 rounds.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q49  V36
Send PM
ACNguy wrote:
shaselai wrote:
ACNguy wrote:

Therefore:

Hope that helps.

The single most important factor is making sure you have enough time to put together a complete, articulate and fully developed application. If you have to rush to get into Round 1, you're better off waiting until Round 2 to ensure the application is as strong as possible. Round 3 becomes significantly more difficult than the previous 2 rounds.

Totally agree. I ended up rushing a few applications. And boy, I got dinged by those schools real quickly. Adcoms are professional readers of applications, and they can instantly tell when your efforts/heart are not in it.
Current Student
Send PM
ACNguy wrote:

I read that round 1 is the "easiest" to be accepted since the next 1/2 rounds there will be less open seats. So theoretically is it possible for all applicants to be accepted into round 1 if they qualify and rounds 2/3 wont have many/any spots left or they "reserve" spots for those rounds? And if I do apply should "reach" schools be sent as early as possible then "safe/less reach" schools?
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
ACNguy wrote:

I read that round 1 is the "easiest" to be accepted since the next 1/2 rounds there will be less open seats. So theoretically is it possible for all applicants to be accepted into round 1 if they qualify and rounds 2/3 wont have many/any spots left or they "reserve" spots for those rounds? And if I do apply should "reach" schools be sent as early as possible then "safe/less reach" schools?

They'll save plenty of spots for Round 2, trust me. Like I've said before, there are minimal differences between Round 1 and Round 2. I heard this past year, in fact, that some believed that Round 2 was easier at many schools because the ADCOMS anticipated a large increase in Applications for Round 2 and that never occurred. Like I've said, apply to the schools ONLY when your application is ready, and worry less about the round it is in. The differences between 1 and 2 is small if there is one at all.

In terms of reach schools, I would actually advise applying in Round 2. Your skills at putting together an effective application will be much sharper by Round 2 and thus you potentially put your better foot forward. This is assuming you'd put in a ton of work for Round 1 and learn from any and all mistakes. I've also read, that if you plan on applying to Northwestern, to do that application first. The essays are pretty generic in that they ask a lot of the important questions that you'll get in other applications. Thus, by having those out of the way you can tailor them to other schools applications.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
When to apply to your reach schools is entirely up to you. If you don't have time to spread your apps over two rounds because of work/life commitments, then just strategize how you'll spend time within each round doing apps. Many of us did our toughest applications first, then the ones for the "safety" schools, and then went back to the tough applications and re-edited prior to submission.

Hope this helps!
Current Student
Send PM
whats the usual response time from B-schools? Is it right before round X+1?
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
whats the usual response time from B-schools? Is it right before round X+1?

In general, if you apply Round 1 you should find out Accept/Ding/WL anytime from right before Christmas to the beginning of January.

Round 2 I believe is generally two months as well.

For US schools, expect approximately 8-12 weeks, for European schools, expect around 4-8 weeks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
I just finished my Masters in comp. sci (waiting for degree to come to mail). Although I wanted to apply to schools but without getting the degree I know it wouldnt look good. Now I am starting to study for the GMAT and hope to get a ~700 score (dont we all :-D ). My question is that is the earliest possible semester I could be enrolled pretty much fall 2010? I will get the degree in august and with studying and taking GMAT i am not sure i can make the Spring 2010 deadline. Should I just take my time on the exam and then just apply for 2010? Any suggestions? Thanks!

I am immediately wondering about how much work experience you have. With a Masters in Computer Science there is a fair chance you have no work experience, and going straight into an MBA after a Masters suggests that you are maybe more an academic than the program actually targets.

I think you really need to have a convincing reason on why MBA, and why you aren't working for a few years from the CS masters. For that reason alone I think you should work for a bit, take time on the GMAT and then look to get in the class entering 2011. That is based on a lot of assumptions about unknowns though (but hell, that is what Business School folk do).
Current Student
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
shaselai wrote:
I just finished my Masters in comp. sci (waiting for degree to come to mail). Although I wanted to apply to schools but without getting the degree I know it wouldnt look good. Now I am starting to study for the GMAT and hope to get a ~700 score (dont we all :-D ). My question is that is the earliest possible semester I could be enrolled pretty much fall 2010? I will get the degree in august and with studying and taking GMAT i am not sure i can make the Spring 2010 deadline. Should I just take my time on the exam and then just apply for 2010? Any suggestions? Thanks!

I am immediately wondering about how much work experience you have. With a Masters in Computer Science there is a fair chance you have no work experience, and going straight into an MBA after a Masters suggests that you are maybe more an academic than the program actually targets.

I think you really need to have a convincing reason on why MBA, and why you aren't working for a few years from the CS masters. For that reason alone I think you should work for a bit, take time on the GMAT and then look to get in the class entering 2011. That is based on a lot of assumptions about unknowns though (but hell, that is what Business School folk do).

I have about 4 years working experience. I started Master comp sci almost 2 years after college after i settled down with job and everything. I graduated Bach. in fall 2004. The reason i did the master's was because of low work experience (~1.5 at that time) so figured after i am done with Masters i can jump into MBA with decent work experience. I read usually 3-5 is good...
GMAT Club Bot