Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:33 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Suits [#permalink]
Overcoats depend on what you are doing for recruiting. I needed it when off campus for 2nd round interviews in cold climates. On campus I always changed at school but off campuse you will have to wear a suit from your apartment/hotel to the office. It can be damn cold in February in places like Chicago, NYC, Boston, etc.

If you want slim suits look at Italian brands, they tend to be narrower than american/english suits. Burberry are made by Hickey Freeman and actually aren't a very slim suit. Unfortunately Italian suits tend to be more expensive.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, GM, Energy, Technology
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
Send PM
MBAin2012 wrote:
I also have a suit questions. I only have one suit (charcoal) but I have the hardest time finding a suit to fit me. I am 6'0, 150 lbs and I have long arms. Basically I am either a 36/38 Long in the chest with a size 30/31 pants. This is ridiculously hard to find.

So, any suggestions? The one suit I bought is a Burberry charcoal suit that I bought at Nordstroms. I had it tailored and I think it fits really well (Burberry seems to have slim suits). But other than this one suit, I haven't had much luck. Is MTM the only way to go?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Your measurements by themselves aren't that out of the ordinary. When you buy a chest size 36 suit, it should be paired with a waist size 30 pants; and with a 38, you get a 32 pants. That's not going to be a problem.

It's probably the length of your arms that is causing you problems. Your cheapest solution is to find a brand whose 36L or 38L fits your arms, then stick with it. Otherwise MTM is probably your best bet. This is probably true for your shirts as well.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
MeddlingKid wrote:
Does one need an overcoat during business school? I realize that for interviews on campus, students wouldn't necessarily need an overcoat since they'd be changing on campus and walking (presumably indoors) to the interview room. But would it be necessary for treks to NYC, etc. during the winter months? If so, what would you recommend regarding length, color, etc.?

i have one at chicago... i find it necessary if i am wearing a suit jacket to a recruiting dinner and it is freezing cold
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks for the comments on the overcoat, guys. So it looks as though I will purchase an overcoat. Is there a particular length and color that is acceptable for recruiting? I realize it won't be worn in the interview, which might make it less important than a suit color.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
MeddlingKid wrote:
Thanks for the comments on the overcoat, guys. So it looks as though I will purchase an overcoat. Is there a particular length and color that is acceptable for recruiting? I realize it won't be worn in the interview, which might make it less important than a suit color.

I have a black one, light colors show dirt quicker and imo dont look as good with as many colors of suits as black. I would go with a longer one, no shorter than the top of the knee. If you shop at the right time of year you can usually find really good deals. I got a burberry like 75-80% off last summer.
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
MeddlingKid wrote:

I have a black one, light colors show dirt quicker and imo dont look as good with as many colors of suits as black. I would go with a longer one, no shorter than the top of the knee. If you shop at the right time of year you can usually find really good deals. I got a burberry like 75-80% off last summer.

Thanks, river!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: General Mgmt, Strategy Consulting
Schools:Kellogg, Ross, Darden, Booth
 Q49  V44
Send PM
MBAin2012 wrote:
I also have a suit questions. I only have one suit (charcoal) but I have the hardest time finding a suit to fit me. I am 6'0, 150 lbs and I have long arms. Basically I am either a 36/38 Long in the chest with a size 30/31 pants. This is ridiculously hard to find.

So, any suggestions? The one suit I bought is a Burberry charcoal suit that I bought at Nordstroms. I had it tailored and I think it fits really well (Burberry seems to have slim suits). But other than this one suit, I haven't had much luck. Is MTM the only way to go?

Actually I disagree with your stated size based on your body size. A suit is properly sized by the shoulders and the length of the jacket. Nothing else. So for your shoulders you may need a 36 or 38. But for jacket length you are a REGULAR. A 'long' is usually for someone 6'2" or taller, otherwise it drapes down toward knees. THEN have sleeves tailored to your correct size. NEVER size your suits based on the sleeves.

I know from experience, I am an in-between size also. This advice will help you a lot, because a 38R is much much much easier to find. And it'll look better on you because it'll make your legs look more proportional to your jacket. Trust me, a 6 foot man should not wear a long.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
MeddlingKid wrote:

I would go with black or charcoal for the overcoat. I don't know how it is in other cities, but walking around NYC in the winter just about everyone's coat is a dark color. Partially I think because like riverripper said, they don't show dirt as much, and partially because, like suits, darker colors are considered more conservative. My coat goes to about my knees - suit pants are not all that warm when it's cold and windy, so the longer coats protect more of your body from the cold. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for mine, but I bought it during the summer at Jos. A Bank, and think it was about $175.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
 Q50  V38
Send PM
decemberblues wrote:
MBAin2012 wrote:

Actually I disagree with your stated size based on your body size. A suit is properly sized by the shoulders and the length of the jacket. Nothing else. So for your shoulders you may need a 36 or 38. But for jacket length you are a REGULAR. A 'long' is usually for someone 6'2" or taller, otherwise it drapes down toward knees. THEN have sleeves tailored to your correct size. NEVER size your suits based on the sleeves.

I know from experience, I am an in-between size also. This advice will help you a lot, because a 38R is much much much easier to find. And it'll look better on you because it'll make your legs look more proportional to your jacket. Trust me, a 6 foot man should not wear a long.

Thanks I appreciate it. I always tried to size my jacket based on my arms (well I also looked at the chest, etc), and you are right it is impossible to find a 36 or 38 L. A 38R will be much easier to find.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
heh, overcoats? why does anyone need an overcoat? (or suits, for that matter :P)
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
heh, overcoats? why does anyone need an overcoat? (or suits, for that matter :P)

Or anything that is not made of hemp? :wink:
Current Student
Send PM
I went to Nordstrom today to check out their stock, in hopes of picking something up during their June 19 sale. Unfortunately, the options were limited in my size. The guy said the big sale is going to be in July (I believe it's the half yearly sale). I'm definitely going to order a BB Fitzgerald in charcoal, but want to pick up a third suit. If I will have a navy subtle pinstripe and a plain charcoal, would it be best to go plain navy or subtle stripe (or herringbone) charcoal for the third suit?

I sorta want to wait and see what Nordstrom has to offer in July, as it sounds like I might be able to find a Canali or Zegna for about $800-$1000. But, a Brooks Brothers 1818 suit at $500 seems like too good a deal to pass up.

Speaking of the Brooks Brothers suits, is the following cut okay for recruiting? It's very slender and has somewhat narrow lapels (would this be a 60s suit look?).
[url]
https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSect ... ion_Id=575[/url]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Does that Brooks Brothers sale start up soon? Seems like last year it was right about now...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
I think it starts the 22nd but that seems like an odd day but that is what I was told.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
It does start on the 22nd. I think each year the sale starts on the day after Father's Day, so the people shopping for gifts for Dad pay the higher prices.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
It does start on the 22nd. I think each year the sale starts on the day after Father's Day, so the people shopping for gifts for Dad pay the higher prices.

I went to the store her in Houston today, and can safely report that the Brooks Brothers sale starts tomorrow (running for a week). All 1818 suits will be 50% off, which at my store is $898 to $449. A pretty good deal, and I think the Fitzgerald is great for banking. It fits me the best of any of their models. Although, one downside is that major alterations (from what I was told, anything involving the back or taking in the sides) costs extra. Shorting the sleeves is free. Not sure how much work you guys would need done to the suit, but it might run you an extra $100 or so.
Current Student
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
Jerz wrote:

I went to the store her in Houston today, and can safely report that the Brooks Brothers sale starts tomorrow (running for a week). All 1818 suits will be 50% off, which at my store is $898 to $449. A pretty good deal, and I think the Fitzgerald is great for banking. It fits me the best of any of their models. Although, one downside is that major alterations (from what I was told, anything involving the back or taking in the sides) costs extra. Shorting the sleeves is free. Not sure how much work you guys would need done to the suit, but it might run you an extra $100 or so.

I found that the Fitzgerald fit me best as well. I ordered a couple yesterday at the 50% discounted price. Hopefully we won't need significant alterations. :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5