Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 06:39 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
well actually i wasnt getting at the idea of "state" schools being generally underfunded... i was making more of blanket statement for all the california state universities, and their perceived reputations. i know locally, CSUF is regarded fairly well, but obviously admin officers from columbia or penn wont have the slightest idea of the school, unless of course they happen to be NCAA baseball fans, since we won the college world series last year!!! but i agree, lots of public schools are some of the best... all UC's for example. ill be the first to admit that CSUF isnt by any means a top tier school, but like you said, i hope my accomplishments there will at least over ride that weakness.

from you post, are you suggesting that ill be competitive at the schools i listed? im debating whether shelling out 2 bills per application and the time involved in constructing good essays is worth it, if i cant be seriously considered for the northwestern, chicago and penns of the world. please advise. thanks.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

I think most admissions officers would know of the CSU system even if they did not know much specific information regarding Fullerton.

Based on the information provided, it sounds that you are strong enough to compete for admission to the elite and even the ultraelite schools.

Hjort
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: application profile... advice/ recommendations? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
tvconefive wrote:
i just finished my GMAT, 730 (47Q 42V), and im trying to get a feel for what schools i will be competitive at and what other schools may only consider me a stretch applicant. ill try to provide my complete profile to make things easier.

undergrad education: BA business management at california state university of fullerton. overall and major GPA of 3.8. courses taken in stats and calculus. graduated high honors, not sure what rank though.

work experience: one year at the SEC as a securities compliance officer. and the last 4 years at a F500 commercial and consumer finance company. currently work in the commercial services division, managing a portfolio of commericial loans ranging from $2MM to $20MM. was promoted twice during that time, to AVP status.

i have already secured two good recommenders from work that will basically confirm whatever i ask them to. and writing essays has always been a strong suit for me, so i know that if i take as much time to craft those as i did studying for the gmat, i can knock out good individualized essays. interview skills im pretty confident in as well. im a bit lacking in community involvement but i can be a bit creative in that dept. if need be.

so all in all, i do feel like i can put a good application together. my goals are to get into i-banking, private placements or venture capital. my current job is not in those specific fields but i have developed a good sense of businesses and financial statement analysis to know what makes good businesses run. no designs on branching out in my own company.. strictly a company man, that is looking for the best exposure with the best companies.

what im worried about is the strength of my undergrad institution. i felt it was a great school, but theres still a slight stigma with state schools im afraid. do you think this is something i should address in most of the optional essays? i mean i did well enough in high school to get into good programs, but i chose state for financial reasons and proximity to home at the time. i would hate for that decision to hurt me this far down the road? please advise.

other than that, my preliminary list right now includes, USC, UCLA, Berkeley, NYU, Yale, with Columbia, Northwestern, Chicago and Penn being the dream schools id like a shot at. should i consider dropping some of those top 10 programs and adding a few more safties like Texas or UC Irvine (close to home again. hah). thanks in advance for your replies...

tvc15

Don't worry about the state school, no-name school, or third-tier school when you have a 730 and a 3.8 and a strong professional record and hopefully adequate extra-curricular (BTW, creativity is OK, but making things up isn't creative, and it is very dangerous.) You clearly excelled in school and the GMAT shows that you could have excelled at a more demanding school. Don't take away from your excellent undergrad record by putting down the school or apologizing for it.

Your list is appropiate for you and I encourage you to apply to those schools. Still if you want to ensure that you are a student next September, yes add one safety school to the list.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks for the quick reply linda. i certainly feel a lot better now about my undergrad institution not affecting my overall chances ... i really have to remember to keep everything in the most positive light in the application process. no need to give the admin directors any ammo to use against me, right? as for being creative on community work, certainly i wasnt implying making anything up... like you said, thats too risky and if the admins questions your integrity, you pretty much have no chance... just have to rack my brains and remember the things that ive done through church and in my neighborhood.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
tvconefive wrote:
thanks for the quick reply linda. i certainly feel a lot better now about my undergrad institution not affecting my overall chances ... i really have to remember to keep everything in the most positive light in the application process. no need to give the admin directors any ammo to use against me, right? as for being creative on community work, certainly i wasnt implying making anything up... like you said, thats too risky and if the admins questions your integrity, you pretty much have no chance... just have to rack my brains and remember the things that ive done through church and in my neighborhood.

Sounds like we're on the same page.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]