Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 08:09 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Biotech MC
Schools:Kellogg (R1 Dinged),Cornell (R2), Emory(Interview Scheduled), IESE (R1 Interviewed), ISB (Interviewed), LBS (R2), Vanderbilt (R3 Interviewed)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink]
Hi Guys,

What options that Kellogg offeres for people interested in careers in consulting especially in biotechnology domain. I guess Kellogg has a Biotechnology track. When it comes to writing post MBA goal is it Ok to write, would like to join McK/BCG in as consultant in Biotech/Pharmaceutical domain. I am facing a lot of difficulty in writing a detailed career goal post MBA. Is it advisable to define career path just as how Mck/BCG deine in their website?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
bandit, McKinsey, Bain, BCG, and many of the larger consulting firms bring virtually everyone in as generalists, very few folks come in specifically do a single field/industry. Those that do have amazingly perfect backgrounds in those areas. This is one thing that turned me off to consulting, they recruit you to do one industry but chances are you wont be doing that when you start unless you are lucky to get grabbed by a partner doing those projects. I am in the energy area which is doing pretty well for consulting companies and they all seemed interested in recruiting people for that area but then they flat out tell you that you are going to be hired as a generalist and most likely unless I was in Houston going for oil, I would not be doing energy.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Is there a thread dedicated to the 1Y Kellogg admits/applicants? I would like to see their profiles.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General,Marketing,International Business
Send PM
A few questions on the school as I wont be able to visit :
- When you enrolled what were the key additional positives on the school and students that you were able to pick up which were not evident on the website ?
- Most of the MBA schools have high achievers so that's a standard. But other than that did you see a common trait across many of the Kellogg students? Did this suggest to a particular model student they were looking to hire?
- In your Kellogg essay did you highlight any specific attributes just for this school vs others?
- What is the recommendation format like, as this years is still not on the website? Any specific rationale for your choice of recommenders for Kellogg vs other schools?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
A question on leadership development opportunities in kellogg

- WRT to the Business Leaderhsip Club, Other than the Leadership Speaker Series & Expeditions what are the other activities the club has run in 2008-2009 ?

- In addition what other opportunties to develop leaderhsip skills are unique to Kellogg vs say Hravard,Michigan,Booth

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I dont even know how to go about answering all those questions they are far too broad and basically are fishing. I suggest you read through the last few applicant threads and admitted student thread, that will give you are really solid idea of application stuff and will probably provide some valuable insights on the school. I am pretty confident I couldn't think of anything that isnt already captured in this thread or those and what you asked would require 5 pages and an hour of typing to answer.

No clue about that club beyond bringing in lots of CEO's to speak. If you want to work on developing leadership, take a few of the MORS classes like Kramer's Managerial Leadership course and then just put yourself out there. Its not something you can learn on your own in your room if you arent a born leader, you need to go out and try to be one. B-school is a great place to do that no matter what the school, and dont be afraid to embarrass yourself or to fail.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
bmwhype2 wrote:
Is there a thread dedicated to the 1Y Kellogg admits/applicants? I would like to see their profiles.

No 1Y-specific threads for now as far as I know, but I'd be glad to answer any comments about it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks ripper for the frank reply and advise on leadership development opp.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
No clue about that club beyond bringing in lots of CEO's to speak. If you want to work on developing leadership, take a few of the MORS classes like Kramer's Managerial Leadership course and then just put yourself out there. Its not something you can learn on your own in your room if you arent a born leader, you need to go out and try to be one. B-school is a great place to do that no matter what the school, and dont be afraid to embarrass yourself or to fail.

Just to add to what river said, while leadership cannot be learned in a class room or from a book, it is a skill, that with practice you can become good at. Some people are just natural leaders. Put them in a room full of people and they will automatically stand out. For everyone else, it is a skill that is learned through trial and error and lots of practice. This is where to me Kellogg stands out. You will have more opportunities to practice your leadership than there are hours in a day. EVERYTHING at Kellogg is student led, student run. I didn't visit too many other schools, but I definitely got the impression that the level of student involvement and leadership at Kellogg in the day the day running of the school is higher than at a lot of other programs. So I guess my takeaway is that you can probably find the same types of leadership classes at any school. If you really want to practice these skills though is a "safe" environment then you need to consider other non academic factors as well.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [0]
Send PM
Rubashov1 wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

No 1Y-specific threads for now as far as I know, but I'd be glad to answer any comments about it.

are you a 1Y?

https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/adm ... ligibility
on the website, it states "All candidates must have graduated within the last seven years." What exactly does that mean? Is that graduation from undergrad?

What if someone took undergraduate courses post-undergrad to fulfill a graduate degree requirement? For example, assume I graduated with a BS in Finance. Then I go work 2 years at XYZ firm. I matriculate into a MS Accounting program in which the first year is all undergraduate pre-requisite courses and the 2nd year is all graduate level coursework.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Human Resources, Operations Management, Media Management
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
The vast majority of students live in downtown Evanston, within walking distance. Originally my wife and I were planning on living closer to chicago and split the commute but after DAK we realized that everyone living in Evanston is one of the greatest things about the school. Everyone talks about how it really adds to the closeness of the community, when you leave your apartment to do just about anything you are going to run into classmates...whether its going to the gym, shopping for groceries, or heading out to a bar to hang out with friends...there will be other students there.

You can ride the normal train and the commuter rail, everyone says the commuter train is much faster and the way to go if you are heading downtown. My wife will most likely end up working downtown and it seems very common for significant others to commute into the city and it is a pretty easy ride. The condo we are renting is only a few blocks from the train station, so my wife will have a five minute walk to the train and I will have a ten minute walk to campus...everything else like whole foods, the gym, and all the downtown spots are all within 5 to 10 minutes walk of many of the apartments.

I think most people can find their niche at any school the apply to. Out of 500+ classmates you will find plenty of people who you share a lot in common with. I personally didnt sit in on Kellogg classes or anything but still feel my why Kellogg essays were convincing (obviously they worked well enough to get me in). If you can visit during a normal class period then thats an advantage and can really tell about fit. Even then dont put too much into one class visit. I know my GSB visit the class I sat in on was miserable, students werent very engaged and most seemed lost, but that is going to be unusual and will happen at every school on occasion. The big thing is meeting people and see personalities. I must say during some visits at schools, students interacted but if you look you can spot differences.

Find out how different groups interact, what the overall feel is, when you meet students get a sense of not their hyping their school but how they really appear to be enjoying there time. Find out what students dislike about schools. I heard at some that students segregate themselves into their own demographics, some students complained about social life or lack there of, and others complained about silly things like terrible food at the school. Seeing what people dislike is often more enlightening than learning what they like.

Hi River...Had a few questions for you...

How are the weekends at Kellogg? sat/sun or just sun??
I am planning to join the fall semester 2010. I am staying with my husband. I don't want him to feel left out..

Can one apply for the spring / winter semester at Kellogg? Or is it only the fall semester?

Also what's the procedure for transferring credits to another university? Say, I move to another state for the second year of MBA.. Do all the credits get transferred?

Also how are the university fees paid? every semester, every year?

Thanks...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
TwinkleToes are you talking fulltime or part-time? Fulltime no classes are on weekends but its a 7 day a week life in many ways. You will definitely spend weekends socializing and doing group assignments. PT has evenings and weekend program, depending what works better for you. Start for fulltime is in the fall for everyone but the 1Y's who start in July but you need a business background for that program. Part time I honestly have no idea.

Transferring would probably be on a case by case basis but its only 2 years and programs are so competitive to get into I doubt that happens at all for most schools. If you are going to start you are going to want to plan on finishing and your husband may have to deal with it for a year.

Also Kellogg is extremely competitive to get into so if you want to start in 2010 you better get to work on your applications now.

BTW. PT is downtown not in Evanston if you are thinking of doing that program and they require you to work fulltime during it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Human Resources, Operations Management, Media Management
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
TwinkleToes are you talking fulltime or part-time? Fulltime no classes are on weekends but its a 7 day a week life in many ways. You will definitely spend weekends socializing and doing group assignments. PT has evenings and weekend program, depending what works better for you. Start for fulltime is in the fall for everyone but the 1Y's who start in July but you need a business background for that program. Part time I honestly have no idea.

Transferring would probably be on a case by case basis but its only 2 years and programs are so competitive to get into I doubt that happens at all for most schools. If you are going to start you are going to want to plan on finishing and your husband may have to deal with it for a year.

Also Kellogg is extremely competitive to get into so if you want to start in 2010 you better get to work on your applications now.

BTW. PT is downtown not in Evanston if you are thinking of doing that program and they require you to work fulltime during it.

Thank you River! That was really helpful..

Well , I am looking for a full-time course.
I am in US with my husband since the past 1 year (I am here on a dependent visa). I cannot work on that visa.

We keep moving in US as my husband's employer demands it. I can't stay back to complete the course, incase he needs to move. For us, the priority is being together. So was just checking my options incase we have to move. It does not look like it though. But you never know. Maybe he can switch his job in that case.

My husband's work is very demanding, so I guess he can deal with my schedule. I will still try and spend a few hours with him on weekends..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Yeah if your husband gets moved you are going to have to decide to quit or stay behind. Transferring really wont be much of an option, though some second tier schools would probably be happy to accept you. I know a few folks that are half a world apart, I know someone whose husband is still in Asia and several folks who have spouses/fiances in Europe.

If he works long hours you will be able to spend plenty of time with him in the evenings and he wont be sitting home alone a lot. Its pretty common for married folks to make sure they dont do group work past 8 or 9pm so they can see their spouses. A lot of recruiting events end by 6:30...some careers require much more and later recruiting so it depends on what you want.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
another spouse related question - what is the travel time between chicago booth and kellogg? I'm applying to kellogg and my husband is applying to both schools for a JD so assuming i get kellogg and he gets into univ of chicago, can we live at one school and have one person commute to the other or is the distance so significant that we'd have to live somewhere mid way?

thanks for the help!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
aditi123 wrote:
another spouse related question - what is the travel time between chicago booth and kellogg? I'm applying to kellogg and my husband is applying to both schools for a JD so assuming i get kellogg and he gets into univ of chicago, can we live at one school and have one person commute to the other or is the distance so significant that we'd have to live somewhere mid way?

thanks for the help!

So its about 22 miles from campus to campus. Living downtown (inside the loop) would just about split the difference (will put you just a bit closer to UoC). I imagine a lot of UoC students do live downtown and a good number of Kellogg students also live downtown. If you look at some of the Kellogg threads, you can see pros and cons of living downtown vs. Evanston, those though are purely personal opinions. But from a pure feasibility standpoint, you could certainly make your situation work if you were to go to Kellogg and he to Chicago. Chicago has a great public transportation system.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I know several couples going between the two schools. About half live in Evanston and half live in Chicago. One of my good friends lives in Evanston and her husband is going to U of Chicago. Its definitely doable but you may want to try living downtown if he ends up at Chicago. If he goes to NWU law then Evanston is much easier...my wife works downtown and rides the train everyday. As a student he could ride the free shuttle if he prefers and it drops off right there.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7