Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 11:54 It is currently 02 May 2024, 11:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Where do you feel app volumes will go this year

You may select 1 option
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [1]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Discussion: App Volume? Up or down this year? [#permalink]
I agree with billyjeans. I can see it definitely going up, especially with the appeal to younger candidates.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
I see it going up; may be, it's a slow start that's why we don't have too many profiles updated. With the introduction of GRE scores, I think the traffic is going to atleast increase in those schools accepting both GRE & GMAT scores.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Kudos
There have been a few articles on BW predicting that there would be an increase in early career applicants. One that discussed how more schools were accepting the GRE stated that this would be a contributing factor as well. However, I don't imagine that the top schools would start admitting more students straight out of college even though the pool might be larger (recruiting challenges, discussion contribution etc.) Given all the economic factors, I personally think the overall number of apps will be down this year. This isn't necessarily rational since the Class of 2012 will probably have much better conditions at graduation, but knee jerk reactions rarely are.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I have a feeling there could be a significant drop off at Columbia and NYU, possibly Chicago and Wharton, the really finance heavy schools that had close connections with the NYC workforce that was laid off en masse last year. Other schools may be down a little bit, but could be offset by the GRE. Either way, I don't think it'll be drastic enough to make a huge difference.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I believe this year applications will drop off. I applied in 2008, and the activity is nowhere close to where it was back then.
Back then, both BW forums and GMATClub were buzzing with activity every hour. Not the case now
Also, I know atleast 4-5 people who've held off on their plans because work has become too hectic(with a reduced workforce in most companies), and the economic downturn means people can no longer expect a $150K salary out of school, and are thinking more practically about how they will pay back their loans.
Add to that the horror stories about recruiting from the Class of '09, in schools like Stern, Ross, Kellogg and Sloan..it's not beautiful out there anymore.
my 2c.
cheers
NM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Do any of you think earlier deadlines may be a source of "quietness" across the boards? Oct. 1st is incredibly early for many individuals who begin thinking about bschool in the spring, and take the GMAT during the summer. I could see a lot more individuals going into R2 this cycle. I don't know if a 14 day difference is all that much, but I could see it impacting those who thought about bschool "later" on.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
most schools are about where they are last year, but I do notice like a couple day shift across the board is the trend. I personally feel there are pretty strong declines in people talking about Finance and international students this year. There even seems to be less discussion about people going into consulting. But to be honestly, last year at this time I was completely absorbed with Columbia and didn't really read too many other threads.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [1]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Kudos
This is kinda interesting and related to the subject.

https://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/ ... own-a-bit/

NYTimes
Stampede to Business School Eases

Definitely not like an academic investigation but still interesting.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
There's definitely less activity on GC as compared to last year. Is that a sign of declining applications? could be. It'll be interesting to compile the statistics though.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Anyone have any theories about what the correlation is between the average GC poster and the general application pool? It would seem that most people here have had BSchool in their sights for a while. From looking at the current school threads, it looks like Kellogg, Booth, and Wharton are way ahead in terms of activity. I'm pretty sure that Stanford and Harvard have had the most applicants in recent years. I wonder if the activity here will pick up as people start deciding to apply for R2.

pleonasm wrote:
There's definitely less activity on GC as compared to last year. Is that a sign of declining applications? could be. It'll be interesting to compile the statistics though.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
This year, there is definitely less activity in the B-School forum as compared to last year. Personally, I'm eyeing R2, and will join the bus once the god darn GMAT is over!

Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
I've visited about 7 schools in the last 2 weeks, and I kind of got the feeling applications will be down this year. Most people there were just gathering information.

As far as activity on the board, there does seem to be less posting, but in my personal situation I am on this board less because I am focusing on my applications. I increased the amount of schools I was applying to because of the unpredictability this year and perhaps other people have done that as well. As far as deadlines, I feel like so many of them are crunched very close together. That also might be a contributing factor.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Bus. Strategy, Entrep.
Schools:Haas, Booth-PT
Send PM
I think its down this year...I am a re-applicant as well and I agree with the comments about applicants collecting info / low activity (significantly) on these forums. Indian applicant pools (pretty large usually) seems to be quite as well because of recent changes in immigration policy and pretty good opportunities in India and nearby countries like Singapore, Dubai etc.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I posted this in the BW forums, but figured it'd be useful here:

-------------------------------
Now that the Round 1 deadlines are drawing to a close and the Round 2 applicants are starting to show up, I just wanted to give you folks some info on the overall landscape for b-school applicants this year (at least from my vantage point).

For my own edification, I keep track of the demographics of all my inquiries and clients over the years. It actually ends up being pretty reflective of the overall applicant pool at least historically -- about 65/35 male/female, 60/40 US/international, and the majority in finance, consulting, engineering or corporate. Of the non-traditional applicants, most are US armed forces personnel. The age range tended to cluster in the mid- to late-20s, although still relatively wide - a good smattering of fresh faced college grads to 30-35+ candidates.

However, this year may turn out to be a watershed year if what I've seen in Round 1 is any indication.

There are a LOT more women. In fact, more than half are women (and the majority of my clients are women for the first time ever). And as a group, these women are the strongest I've seen (of course there have been exceptional women I've seen in the past, but the overall quality and caliber this year seems to be even stronger). They are young, accomplished, blue chip, hungry, and articulate. Hard to say whether this will mean that it's more competitive for women, but my hunch is that this will translate to more women in b-school this year - maybe not quite 50% (my Round 1 may be an anomaly) but if what I've seen is reflective of the overall applicant pool, I think b-schools this year are going to be extremely happy with what they see -- more women applying, and (likely) women making up an even higher percentage of the incoming class than years' past.

The other big change is the age distribution. This year, the age range that I've seen has really narrowed. In years' past, I would see a pretty big range of folks young and old(er). But this year, the *overwhelming* majority of folks are '05 to '07 college grads. Not just "most" but "overwhelming majority". And a smattering of '04 folks but beyond that, it's really thin.

So it seems like the b-schools outreach over the last few years has started to pay off -- the age range is narrowing, and they're getting more highly accomplished young women who see the "window of opportunity" in their mid-20s to do an MBA.

Also, the last thing (which may just be a coincidence) is that moreso than years' past, there's a lot more healthcare folks (whether healthcare banking/consulting or those working in life sciences) and a lot more who *genuinely* want to transition to or remain in a healthcare-related career post-MBA. Although probably not surprising as it's the one sector that will continue to grow over the next generation or so (regardless of how healthcare reform plays itself out).

As for overall applicant volume, it's hard to say at this point, but my hunch is that it won't change significantly from last year up or down. But it seems that the most important change this year isn't the actual volume, but the composition of the applicant pool itself.

Again, this is just based on what I've seen so far up to Round 1. Who knows, there could be a deluge of IT dudes in Round 2 that it starts to look like 2005 all over again.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Dang it - this would be the year female competition increases :-D
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
make sense to me, I feel from reading post this year, there are less Future IB fokes and more HC fokes around. I think we can thank Obama for that (I'm actually changing me UCLA essay on problems in the world, because HC is even more cliche this year than before).

and I don't know why more girls, but awesome! girls are good. Who wants to be in a class of all dudes :P
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Kudos
hey guys,
look at this graph. we (gmatclub) are definitely making a lot more noises than last year! :) The increasing traffic volume of this site is out performing many of the test/application prep site.
Attachments

alexa.JPG
alexa.JPG [ 81.9 KiB | Viewed 3886 times ]

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2