Last visit was: 20 May 2024, 00:47 It is currently 20 May 2024, 00:47
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Stanford R1, Wharton R1 w/int, Chicago R1, HBS R2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink]
[quote="SuperIndo"]What exactly does a Stellar profile mean? Blind leading the blind. We all have "Stellar profiles" Thats why we are applying and think we have a reasonable shot.

Where is my GSB INVITE???

-Frustrated[/quote]

Stellar profile is not dependent on whether or not you get an invite or acceptance at Stanford... In general, I think if a person has shown excellence and a high level of meaningful achievement in the past, and that there is evidence that this level of excellence will continue in the future, then to me that conveys a "stellar profile." But to be honest, I think that those with these types of profiles would go on to be successful with or without an MBA from an elite program. It's the classic MBA dilemma: do so many great leaders come from H/S/W because of something they learned during b-school, or is H/S/W good at recognizing those who will go on to be great leaders and slaps their brand on them?

I'm frustrated by the wait too, but I would never think that a ding from Stanford makes our backgrounds and future prospects any less excellent. I used to think that during undergrad apps, but not anymore... it's just a brand.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools:Stanford R2 2012 (wl w/int); Stanford R1 2013 (int)
Send PM
jankynoname wrote:
I think that those with these types of profiles would go on to be successful with or without an MBA from an elite program.

word that to yo mama! 8-) I know I'm awesome before getting an MBA and from your profiles you guys are probably awesome too. But thanks for making me feel that way and for the advice.

I'm going to apply and retake GMAT and let you know how it goes. Seems like my profile is one of some extraordinary stuff, but lacking in the ordinary stuff department which isn't likely to be overlooked. :? I only graduated in 06, but am 27. Seems like age is a serious issue for Stanford (and HBS). Anyone know anyone getting in with grey hair like me?

I know a girl that was accepted at Stanford last year from my analyst class with an alternative transcript and nothing spectacular from work. I heard second hand that her GMAT score wasn't fantastic either. It seems like those that don't necessarily do extraordinary things, but do ordinary things extraordinarily (as was quoted by an adcom) are the ones that have the most success at H/S/W.

I know, as I dated a girl just like that for years before she dumped me by e-mail right before leaving for B-School. The only question is, which school takes girls with that kind of character?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ouch. Sounds like your ex was pretty lame. I bet she went to HBS. As I think I've said on the forum before, I think HBS would've admitted Hitler... after all, he was a "leader who made a difference in the world".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
@lostphoton, @tempoguy

Any news? Any of your friends received the invites?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
No man haven't heard of any invites so far. Don't know whats happening. But I read somewhere that they are giving you 10 days to schedule an interview; by that account we can still get an invite by 2nd or 3rd Dec......Really frustrating.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Consulting, Entrepreneurship, High Tech
Schools:HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
 Q49  V40
Send PM
tempoguy wrote:
No man haven't heard of any invites so far. Don't know whats happening. But I read somewhere that they are giving you 10 days to schedule an interview; by that account we can still get an invite by 2nd or 3rd Dec......Really frustrating.

Actually, I have visited Stanford today and the adcom officer with whom I talked to told me that I could even received an invite a couple days before the decision deadline...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
what use would be an interview just a day or two before the final decision? can't believe that the adcom keeps working on the list till the last day.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General, Management & Org Behaviour
Schools:Chicago Booth class of 2012
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate
Send PM
jankynoname wrote:
Ouch. Sounds like your ex was pretty lame. I bet she went to HBS. As I think I've said on the forum before, I think HBS would've admitted Hitler... after all, he was a "leader who made a difference in the world".

+1 kudos. After hearing one of my former colleagues (who is now at HBS) rubbish all other business schools, I'm not sure what kind of leaders Harvard are making. Where's the soft skills training? At least Chicago and Columbia have a crack at instilling some values in their grads, even if they might be perceived as some naff attempt at ethics training to offset the negative press from disastrous alumni actions. Hey, effort is effort. And Standford place a heavy emphasis on the values of their admits through the application process...

Rant over.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford R1(W/o Int), HBS R1(W/o Int), Kellogg R1(Ding), Haas R2(W/o Int), Wharton R2(W/o Int), Darden(W/o Int)
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Roll call updated. On personal note still waiting to hear back from the adcom :)
Shiva
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
sapphireka wrote:
jankynoname wrote:

+1 kudos. After hearing one of my former colleagues (who is now at HBS) rubbish all other business schools, I'm not sure what kind of leaders Harvard are making. Where's the soft skills training? At least Chicago and Columbia have a crack at instilling some values in their grads, even if they might be perceived as some naff attempt at ethics training to offset the negative press from disastrous alumni actions. Hey, effort is effort. And Standford place a heavy emphasis on the values of their admits through the application process...

Rant over.

youre basing your new viewpoint of HBS on one experience with a former colleague?

:shock:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@lostphoton, @tempoguy, @northernstar

I am also a Rel. finalist ........... but I am in the final year of my college. I was very upset at not receiving an interview invite but after visiting this forum and seeing your profiles (with so many years of work ex. /entrepreneurship ex.), I have lowered my expectations :( .

I am back to mugging for the end-sems.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General, Management & Org Behaviour
Schools:Chicago Booth class of 2012
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:
sapphireka wrote:
jankynoname wrote:

Rant over.

youre basing your new viewpoint of HBS on one experience with a former colleague?

:shock:

Fair call. I'd say I'm basing it on 2-5 observations, which isn't exactly statistically relevant. Can someone knock up some charts?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wassup everyone? any updates :)? rumors, speculations, guesses....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS (Admit - Class of 2013)
 Q50  V36 GMAT 2: 750  Q50  V42
WE 1: Strategy Consulting (2 years)
WE 2: Internet Startup (4 years)
Send PM
All this is getting really really frustrating now... It's 16 November - just 1 month for the decision and no clue!

I am really getting restless now.....

Cheers to all!
lostphoton
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Me too man. And I think now I should change my name to lost tempoguy or deflated tempo or something like that :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
make sure to let us know as soon as you guys get the invite :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have recently heard that it is important to have alumni/students "put in a good word" to AdmissionsCom and this is crucial to getting interviews. I did not have this but curious if others have heard this as well or perhaps pursued this path? Maybe I'm just searching here...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15  ...  56   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts