Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:58 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Darden '12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink]
Happy New Year, Gents.

I'm becoming "that guy" by asking the same question over and over, but is anyone interested in swapping essays? I'd love a pair of objective eyeballs to give me an assessment.

Good luck everyone. We're almost there! I, for one, will be glad to have a life again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:HBS/KSG Class of 2014 (deferring)
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
I have Stanford, Wharton, and Harvard Kennedy School apps due this next week, and I am ridiculously behind on all of them (Wharton is going to get a real half-ass app, since I am not feeling it too much anyway). I hope to at least have Stanford all set with final drafts tonight, and if I do I would certainly like to run them by another military guy, as well as see how someone else is going about them as well to hopefully let me know that I am not way out in left field in writing these things! I am not used to writing about myself either, so I need to make sure I am selling me without sounding too conceited. Lakai777 if I get these things done, which I had better, if you can hold until tonight or early tomorrow I can send you mine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Sloan, Yale, Stanford
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Just found this thread today. My Rd 1 app to Sloan was deferred to Rd 2, and I'm working on Rd 2 apps for Yale and Stanford right now. I'm an Army captain currently stationed in Germany. Best of luck to everyone!
USMCCommO wrote:
invited to interview at MIT (interviewing in D.C. on 21 Dec).

USMCCommO, how did the interview go?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Finance: Investment Management
Schools:MIT Sloan Class of 2012
 Q44  V41
Send PM
Forgot to post that the weather in D.C. postponed my interview until tomorrow. I will post details tomorrow evening.
Current Student
Send PM
USMCCommO wrote:
Forgot to post that the weather in D.C. postponed my interview until tomorrow. I will post details tomorrow evening.

Good luck on your interview! I'm hoping for a LGO invite myself so I'll be interested in hearing how it went.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
USMCCommO wrote:

I've got my interview 11JAN in L.A. - would love to hear your AAR. Good luck to all you second-rounders.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance: Investment Management
Schools:MIT Sloan Class of 2012
 Q44  V41
Send PM
All right, sorry about the delayed response for the MIT AAR.
Questions were all very similar to questions found here: https://www.clearadmit.com/wiki/index.ph ... nInterview.

I used that link primarily.

Questions:
-recent accomplishment/achievement
-when felt out of comfort zone
-thought outside the box
-anybody annoyed with behavior lately
-what do you wish I had asked you

I think that's about it. Overall I think it went well and I felt fairly confident leaving the interview... then I started doing the post-interview... what did I say... how did I answer that and now I've made an image of a bubbling interviewer in my mind which hopefully was not the case. I really am pulling that I get into MIT. If I do that's it for me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
USMCCommO - thanks, brother. Good luck.

-J
Current Student
Send PM
USMCCommO, sounds like the interview went pretty well. Hope that you get good news soon from Sloan.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Schools:MIT
Send PM
gregarious wrote:

Good luck on your interview! I'm hoping for a LGO invite myself so I'll be interested in hearing how it went.

If you don't mind me asking, which will you choose if you get into LGO (between LGO and Wharton)?
Current Student
Send PM
I don't mind at all - assuming that the interview goes well and I don't get dinged, it'll be a tough choice. My goal is to go into healthcare (biotech/pharma) as a career switcher so each program presents a different path to that. Probably one of the biggest factors, besides the dual degree aspect of LGO, is the longer sponsored internship with LGO vs. more flexible but self-initiated internship with Wharton (or any other bschool really). Hopefully I'll get a better feel for it over the next few weeks, thanks for asking!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
^^^One thing about LGOs internship is that it is guaranteed, whereas other schools its not, although I doubt a military guy wouldn't get one.

I'm applying to LGO and Wharton, in addition to Stanford E-IPER and HBS/HKS a well. HBS will be out unless I get into the Kennedy School, and Wharton for me is really just an extra app I threw in there but its not where I am going to go unless all else fails.

As for LGO, even though I am an ideal candidate and have an interview its not looking good for me, and the reason is related to a question I want to throw at all of you, although I think I am going to need to make this its own thread to get some good answers for the general populace -

Anyone know the deferral policies of the above schools? I applied this year hoping that medically I was going to be ready to start next summer ( I got banged up pretty good in Iraq). Things aren't looking to good in general, and I may elect to get an amputation which would obviously mean no school for me next year. If that is the case I already know LGO does not allow deferrals period, although I am sure the re-application process for that case would be very easy. However I was really hoping to have a school all set, even if I have to wait another year (which I really, really do not want to do) and then be able to focus on it while I learn to use my pegleg. Even if things do go well, LGO starts in June, and physically thats going to be tough, especially considering how rigorous a program it is...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hey brother,

i would call/email each program and ask, especially about your situation. i asked HBS and Darden about going overseas with an activated reserve unit. they said they would grant a deferment if it was an "unvolunteered" activation, with orders to prove it. otherwise they wouldn't grant a deferment.

so i'm assuming, if deferment rules are pretty similar across the board, it has to be a case of uncontrolled circumstances, which i think in your case, could be argued.

regardless, i'd call. its a lot easier than asking a bunch of us who have no idea what we're talking about and getting some scuttlebutt that we just pulled out of our ass (like i basically just did)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Ya, I would try actually talking to someone at the school (but maybe you've done that with LGO already). I would be very surprised if most schools didn't allow a deferment for this - this sounds like one of the few reasons that actually justifies a deferment. But now I'm just pulling things out too.
Current Student
Send PM
HERM3S, I think lakai777 is right on about needing to contact each school individually. On all the school websites, it basically just says that adcom looks at in on a case by case basis. FWIW, I would imagine that your situation is favorable to receiving a deferral, especially if you can show that your condition at time of application would've permitted matriculation. LGO might be tougher since the program is so small, but maybe you would be able to ask the adcom directly after your interview. Good luck with your preps and continued recovery.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Interestingly enough, back in 2008 I asked an MIT Sloan rep about deferring due to an amputation. He told me its on a case by case basis, but in his honest opinion he couldn't see them not granting a deferment in that case. However that was for Sloan, not the LGO program, which in its uniqueness decided to not grant deferments (it clearly says on its website, "LGO does not grant deferments")

Oh well, still am going to interview, and will ask someone about it (not the interviewer of course!). Regardless of policy, exceptions can always be made I would hope, especially if I show great interest in the program and find the right person way up in the schools hierarchy to talk to!

BTW, I talked to one of the military guys in the program right now. He is the only one from 2011, however he told me that was an aberration, in fact there are 5 former military members in 2010s class, and he said that was more the norm. Bodes well for us!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I would hope if you have a strong medical reason, just about any school will let you defer. Think about how poorly it would look upon them, and Veteran recruitment in particular to deny you that courtesy.

I have applied to three of the "Elite" schools and right after R2 submission, I accepted "voluntary" activation back to Afghanistan. I fully expect if I get in to receive a deferral. If a school is not understanding and willing to grant this, then it is not an institution that I would want to attend anyway.

Semper Fi,
Hawaiimba
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9