Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 21:04 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 21:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Tuck Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Dartmouth (Tuck) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink]
No they dont post transcripts of their chats.

Where are you based out of?
Current Student
Send PM
Mumbai, India - born and raised.
Currently live in NYC, doing business analysis and project management at the tech division of an i-bank.

I'm really psyched about Hanover. I've never lived in a non-city environment, and am interested in giving the whole nature thing a try. Plus, I'll probly return to a big city upon graduating, so I see this as a great opportunity to try out the rural life. Plus, they got a skiway real close, and nothing beats great access to snowboarding! Not to mention the rowhouse and golf club.

Careerwise, it's management consulting all the way, and Tuck is easily one of the best schools for that. Great placements with Mck/Bain/BCG/Booz and case heavy courses (according to Veritas 60% of 1st year courses are case) are winning attributes.

And of course Tuck's legendary loyalty among alumni and close knit culture. Most of the time, bschools harp on about fit, and it doesn't really matter, you know "collaborative community, teamwork, blah, blah blah". But with Tuck, the culture is very apparent when you set foot on campus.

I'll still be waiting on HBS (it's HBS) and Kellogg (I loved the students there). But HBS is extremely unlikely, and my Kellogg interview was crap.

How about you?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Tuck - Class of 2012
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Dont have much to add to this thread other than WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!! :lol:

I forgot about the mandatory laptop thing - that kind of sucks. Id much rather have my macbook pro than those lame lenovo's.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: MC, Entrepreneurship, GM
Schools:Tuck class of 2012
 Q50  V42
WE 1: 2 years market development (public)
WE 2: 5 years corporate finance (private)
Send PM
Here I am!! :-D
My wife is currently pushing me hard to accept Tuck! And well, I must confess that the idea of spending two years in a great community in the countryside is quite sweet to me.
What's the model of the mandatory Lenovo laptop?
Its price is included in the tuition fees, right?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
kinokosarada wrote:
Here I am!! :-D
What's the model of the mandatory Lenovo laptop?
Its price is included in the tuition fees, right?

Last year we had an option to chose from 3 different Lenovo models. You pay a small fee if you want an upgraded model (under $100).

The rest of the price is included in the technology fee.

RF
Current Student
 Q49  V47
Send PM
If you guys arent already on there, the 2012 web board is pretty good, lots of info already.
Current Student
Send PM
Yup, they've got pics of the LLC.
Just got my official admit letter today. Goes up on the wall. And the more I look into Tuck, the more I like it than Kellogg.

Refurb - we'd love to hear about your experiences at Tuck so far.
Current Student
Send PM
ezekiel2517 wrote:
Refurb - we'd love to hear about your experiences at Tuck so far.

What did you want to know about?

I could write a short novel on the all the things I've done at Tuck so far. It's been incredible!

RF
Current Student
Send PM
You should write that novel, a companion piece to the HBS experience in "Ahead of the curve". You could call it: "Refurb's MBA experience: A Tuckin' good time"

Alternatively, could you talk about:
-Are the people at Tuck really as awesome as claimed?
-The social life at Tuck, given Hanover is kind of isolated. Do you guys interact much with folks from other departments? What's the dating scene like?
-Do you live on campus? What's that like?
-How heavy is the overall MBA courseload from a 1 to 10? (10 being Darden).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
ezekiel2517 wrote:
Alternatively, could you talk about:
-Are the people at Tuck really as awesome as claimed?

Yes. Of course I have only attended Tuck, but based on my experience at other "accepted student weekends", Tuck is a cut above the rest. If you come to ASW you will know what I'm talking about. Since Tuck is a small school and somewhat isolated, the people that come here KNOW what they are getting into and they are willing to put the effort in to make it work. People are VERY open to getting to know new people, helping people out and being generally very friendly. Of course, not everyone is like that, but there are a LOT of really great people here. If you are open and welcoming to anyone you will find a TON of amazing people here.

This doesn't even touch on the alumni network which I have found to be amazingly responsive. I can't count the number of times I've contacted a Tuck alumni for career info and ended up talking for 1.5 hrs and ending up with a mentor who was genuinely interested in my career development. It has exceeded all my expectations.

There hasn't been a single day where I've regretted my decision to come to Tuck.

Quote:
-The social life at Tuck, given Hanover is kind of isolated. Do you guys interact much with folks from other departments? What's the dating scene like?

I'm almost through my first year, so take my opinion as such. You will be so busy during Fall A/B that interacting with students outside of Tuck will be the last thing on your mind. However, there is a conscious effort to include other schools in official events (Med school, engineering school). Outside of official events, you will get a chance to mix with people outside of Tuck through mutual friends.

Ahh.... dating. It's a very interesting situation. Imagine combining a small school with an intense, intimate environment. You won't have the opportunities you would in a big city, but then again, you'll be so busy that you won't really miss it. Let me put it this way, considering the size of the school and surrounding city, the dating scene is not bad. The female/male mix isn't bad and there are a decent number of single people of both sexes around.

Quote:
-Do you live on campus? What's that like?

It's a great! You get a chance to interact with your classmates on daily basis which allows you to quickly form new friendships. However, it also has its downsides: cabin fever, limited dining choices to name a few. However, overall it's been a very positive experience.

Quote:
-How heavy is the overall MBA courseload from a 1 to 10? (10 being Darden).

As I mentioned above I've only ever attended Tuck, so I can't draw an accurate comparison. However, I think I can safely say it HAS to be in the top 25% in terms of workload. It can be overwhelming at times, BUT I never found it to be a bad thing. You learn just how capable you are of handling such a workload. Somedays you'll wonder how you'll get through it, but you do.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
Fantastic stuff mate, much obliged. +1
Current Student
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Alrighty, so whos going to be at ASW?

What's the dress code during the events?
Current Student
Send PM
Ginetta wrote:
What's the dress code during the events?

Whatever you want to wear. Just bring appropriate clothes for the events (hiking = outdoor clothing). You'll be attending a nice dinner so bring some business casual stuff, but honestly, just wear what you're comfortable in, it's not a big deal at all.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Tuck 2012
Send PM
Refurb, thanks for the great info.

If anyone's in the NYC area, we are having an admit meetup this Saturday, 2/20. More info is available in the U.S. Gatherings section of the WebBoard. Looking forward to meeting everyone else at ASW!
Current Student
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Time to revive this thread! :-D
I've just paid my deposit and made a housing request.

I was looking at Killington photo galleries and just can't wait to ski there (there is no much snow in Vietnam)! Any fellow boarder, skier? 8-)
Current Student
 Q49  V47
Send PM
kinokosarada wrote:
Time to revive this thread! :-D
I've just paid my deposit and made a housing request.

I was looking at Killington photo galleries and just can't wait to ski there (there is no much snow in Vietnam)! Any fellow boarder, skier? 8-)

I have been hanging out with a few T'12s here in SF over the past few weeks. They all went to Dartmouth undergrad. I guess a lot of people get passes to Sugarbush for the season. I am going to go shopping for a new snowboard this summer.

Heading to ASW Kino? I will be there early Thursday if you want to meet up for a beer or something.
Current Student
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Ginetta wrote:
I have been hanging out with a few T'12s here in SF over the past few weeks. They all went to Dartmouth undergrad. I guess a lot of people get passes to Sugarbush for the season. I am going to go shopping for a new snowboard this summer.

Heading to ASW Kino? I will be there early Thursday if you want to meet up for a beer or something.

Sugarbush too is quite close to Hanover but current students told me that most have pass to Killington, well we'll see! Shopping for a board in summer is a good idea there are many good deals on 2009/2010 stuffs. I will come with one of my board and gears (have a second board and gears in France but they will remain there), as there is no snow in Vietnam it's been more that 2 years that I haven't riden and I just can't wait anymore! :evil: Anyway, happy to have found someone on GC interested in snowboarding.

I won't be able to attend the ASW, Vietnam is really at the opposite side of the earth and the shortest flight takes no less than 26 hours (generally, closer to 30 hours) from Hanoi to Logan and costs 3,000USD, not including the Dartmouth coach ride! I really would like to go to Hanover for the ASW but I believe it is just not realistic under these conditions.
Hope you'll have a good time there and see you in August :-D
GMAT Club Bot