Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Yale SOM
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink]
A great thread. I am with you guys on the Fall 2011 application process.

Just a question to everyone, are ppl studying a month for math completely then a month for verbal next? Or do you guys studying with alternative verbal/math within the month?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
I'm doing about 1-2 weeks verbal, then back to math for 1-2 weeks... will rinse and repeat...
Current Student
Send PM
adalfu wrote:
I'm doing about 1-2 weeks verbal, then back to math for 1-2 weeks... will rinse and repeat...

I've employed the same technique pretty much. I wouldn't do a month of math and then a month of verbal. You're likely to burn out and you might forget some of what you learn after a month of not preparing. Just my 2 cents. It's best to try a few options and see what works best for you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
lonewolf wrote:
A great thread. I am with you guys on the Fall 2011 application process.

Just a question to everyone, are ppl studying a month for math completely then a month for verbal next? Or do you guys studying with alternative verbal/math within the month?

i'll try my best to do both at the same time...of course i'll do more of what i'm weak at...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
I would suggest doing a mix as well, I seem to retain concepts better when I study some math then some verbal and then back to math etc. Otherwise I tend to get overwhelmed and not remember.

Something I think is useful when you are still early on and use MGMAT books, plus some other book (Kaplan or the like), and the OG, do not do what MGMAT tells you to do: I would not go straight from finishing an MGMAT book chapter to solving the problems they suggest in the OG. Do their end of chapter problems and then find appropriate questions in the Kaplan book and apply/hone your skills there. Here is my reasoning: I want to tackle the OG last as a 'true' test to see if I really took the concepts to heart. Now to train and master the concepts, non-official questions should be sufficient. It will allow you to really test your grasp of the techniques on questions that came from the actual test in the OG.

any snow perseverance? i got my 4-5inches and called in for a Snow Day :-D 720 on the practice its a morale booster
Current Student
Send PM
ThomasD wrote:
any snow perseverance? i got my 4-5inches and called in for a Snow Day :-D 720 on the practice its a morale booster

We're supposed to get up to a foot starting in a few hours lasting until the morning so I'm hoping that forecast is right. :twisted: Congrats on the practice test score! Was that GMATPrep2? What was your breakdown?
Current Student
Send PM
yeah Gmatprep2, Q47V42. I'll now have to go dig through the forum to find out what you have to do take the test again but with mostly different questions. There is a way, I have read it on here somewhere before...
Current Student
Send PM
ThomasD wrote:
yeah Gmatprep2, Q47V42. I'll now have to go dig through the forum to find out what you have to do take the test again but with mostly different questions. There is a way, I have read it on here somewhere before...

I think I remember reading you had to uninstall and reinstall the program. Not exactly positive if that does it. Let me know if you figure it out.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Merage
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: University of California Irvine (Merage) - Class of 2013
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Hi everybody, first post here.

Career-switchin from logistics to marketing strategy/marketing research. Need a 700 for my schools and I'm freakin out.

Planning on taking GMAT mid-summer. Not gonna lie I'm a little frightened for the quant portion. The rest I can pull off...

Just pulled the trigger and bought all 8 MGMAT Guides, plus OG 12, and OG 12 Quant.

After the LA marathon on march 21, the mental marathon begins! :?

Best of luck-
Current Student
Send PM
Hey all,
Figured I'd update everyone on my progress since my test is in 2 days. I've pretty much wrapped up my studying. Finished what I wanted to in the OG and I'm going to glance at the MGMAT Number Properties book again for a little while tonight. As far as pratice CATs go, I took GMAT Prep 2 on saturday and got a 680 (Q44 V38). Both quant and verbal were disappointing. Also, yesterday I took just the Quant portion of Knewton's diagnostic and got a Q40 with 9 incorrect. I've read that their algorithm could be screwed up so I'm not taking that score to heart. Honestly, I feel confident but I feel like the real test is a shot in the dark. I feel like I'm teetering on the 700 score. Although I wouldn't be surprised if I got a 650. So who knows...
Current Student
Send PM
Man I got faith in you Perseverance! Keep the spirits up high. I think flipping through the Number Properties book is a good idea as I personally feel out of all the study materials I had that was the one that taught me the most new concepts and tricks. Take it easy on your last day and do not get discouraged. Good Luck on Thursday!
Current Student
Send PM
Hey all,
Finally done with the GMAT. Wrote a debrief if anyone is interested:
700-q48-v38-finally-done-with-the-beast-90544.html

See you all on the MBA Admissions forums!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
Congratulations Perseverance! Did you start any b school specific stuff?
Current Student
Send PM
mbalady wrote:
Congratulations Perseverance! Did you start any b school specific stuff?

Thanks mbalady! I actually just started the 'research' phase. I'm happy I finished the important GMAT step. I have plenty of time to research and visit schools before I start the essays etc. What step in the process are you at?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
Back in Dec I got a 680 GMAT with a low quant score (44) so I am in the starting to re-study phase lol (its been hard to get motivated to be honest). However I have done some research and have a short list of schools that I am targeting, have started to reach out to students and alumni, and have some visits scheduled for March and am planning a couple more for April so I am a bit into the research stage concurrently as well. I do need to focus more on the GMAT though. I def. wish you all the best through out the rest of this 'journey' we are embarking on
Current Student
Send PM
680 is a really good score. I commend you for studying and researching schools at the same time! All the best for your retake. Let me know how it goes and I'm sure I'll see you on the Schools forum.
Current Student
Send PM
I just looked up my test center and it's on Cornell Drive......but I'm not superstitious....not at all, but funny regardless.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5