Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:36 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [1]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:UNC (in) , Georgetown (app R3) , Tuck (dinged)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Yale SOM
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: Deleting stats from threads [#permalink]
Kudos
No problem at all.

And the bottom line is that the application process can boil down to #'s.

I spoke to Cal's Dean of Admissions and he said Haas received a record # of 750+ GMAT scores this year which made things extremely difficult.

As a person who scored a 730, that leads me to rethink about possibly studying and taking the GMAT a 2nd time.

This information is invaluable and without posting stats, the board would be severely damaged.

lbird33 wrote:
One of the reasons I pick this forum over others is the displayed stats. It's nice to see the profiles of accepted/rejected applicants without asking "what's your profile?" and further cluttering the threads. It's also made me feel terribly under-qualified but I'd rather be realistic than ignorant. If this is indeed what you're describing than I say keep the status-quo.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: social enterprise
Schools:University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Kudos
I think that seeing stats actually reaffirms the subjectivity of the process (at least once decisions are released and people update schools), rather than reducing people to numbers. It shows very blatantly that someone who looks great on paper may not be admitted to top schools, and vice versa. Most people are admitted to some schools, rejected to some, and maybe waitlisted at others. I like to see that, because for all but a few applicants, patterns are pretty impossible to discern. I guess that can increase anxiety, but I find it comforting. It really shows that admissions are case-by-case, and you have to seriously identify your own particular strengths and weaknesses to be a serious candidate.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools:Stanford '12
GMAT 2: 710
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Wall Street Finance
WE 2: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
i havent noticed stat posting as a major issue, but the fact is, if everyone filled out their profile to the left like i did or filled in their stats in the thread specifically calling for them, there would be no need for the stat posting trains that get set off or the subsequent screen scrolling that comes with it or the searching for profile stats in a posters numerous other threads.

so im gonna agree with praetorian on this one. fill in your profile, post it in the stats forum or get it deleted. i think the discipline will help us all. then we can leave the posting for more value added contributions.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Send PM
thanks very much for the responses. please keep going..

I guess i am referring to this :

calling-all-kellogg-fall-2010-applicants-78734-2240.html#p701178

Quote:
JoeMahmah wrote:
congrats , bschbound! Can you please share your industry/stats?

Chemicals/F/750/3.84
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
quantjock wrote:
i havent noticed stat posting as a major issue, but the fact is, if everyone filled out their profile to the left like i did or filled in their stats in the thread specifically calling for them, there would be no need for the stat posting trains that get set off or the subsequent screen scrolling that comes with it or the searching for profile stats in a posters numerous other threads.

so im gonna agree with praetorian on this one. fill in your profile, post it in the stats forum or get it deleted. i think the discipline will help us all. then we can leave the posting for more value added contributions.

Well said. My peeve is more directed at posting of stats in the school application threads and using them as some sort of gauge on when/what your decision will be. There are threads to post stats in for people who are interested in them, and you can add them to your profile.

That said, I don't think it's worth the effort to go back and delete all the posts with stats at this point. Just going forward I think people need to cut down on the constant focus and discussion about stats.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: social enterprise
Schools:University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Oh yeah, now I get it. Duh. It's definitely irritating mid-thread (especially that example!). I'll amend my opinion: Kept in their proper arena, stats are useful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
conmisdosmanos wrote:
Oh yeah, now I get it. Duh. It's definitely irritating mid-thread (especially that example!). I'll amend my opinion: Kept in their proper arena, stats are useful.

Yes - I totally agree. I'm not anti-stats - it's the "Congratulations - what are your stats?" that pollute threads and seem completely self-interested.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
Kudos
I don't see a problem with people voluntarily sharing their stats mid thread or elsewhere, what irks me are the people who continually hound people for stats. "Congrats happy123, can you post your stats" "Great news yorkvillepuppies, please share your stats"...but then again, I think a lot of people on this and all MBA boards are a combination of high -strung combined with many being from countries where evaluations and acceptances/rejections are based solely on numbers.

In any case, I don't think this is something that can be completely abolished unless you just start massively banning people, which I don't think is the best solution either. Although we can ban lurkers who add no value to the community except to say they were accepted :evil: j/p
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
monkbent wrote:
[ Yes - I totally agree. I'm not anti-stats - it's the "Congratulations - what are your stats?" that pollute threads and seem completely self-interested.

I agree somewhat but often the response you decree comes because someone uses their very first post to say, "hey, lurking for a while, got in today". That is really not additive to this discussion forum. It is different if someone has just not taken the time to look a few pages back when a new poster introduced themselves. All of this would of course be moot if everyone did as the poster above suggested and filled out their side profile.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Top B-School
Send PM
Kudos
I am not sure I completely understand the concern about stats "polluting" the threads. The concern seems unwarranted. The b-school process can be a black box and every bit of information helps demystify the process a little bit. The real question here is: "why shouldn't people post their stats, especially if another user has specifically requested them?" If it irritates you to post your stats, then don't post it. If it irritates you to read stats mid-thread, then it's a personal issue and the entire GMAT community should not be expected to pay for your personal peeve. Life is generally irritating but we all learn to deal.

I love stats, wherever and inwhat ever form I can find them. It helps me gauge my competition and also helps me make sense of otherwise arbitrary-looking decisions.

P.S. - I had filled out my own stats on my profile but removed them because it's a shockingly small world and I worry about my privacy. The process is not as anonymous as one is led to believe e.g. the number of female london-based applicants with a 720 GMAT (and the accompanying M/V splits) and 2yrs of McKinsey + 2yrs of PE applying to Kellogg this year. A curious adcom only needs a few clicks on an internal database and the field is narrowed down to just one or two applicants.

Edit: I just read through the last few pages on the Kellogg thread and I now see that it's a very specific situation that spiraled out-of-control. It is not this way on the other threads. I can see why people find the stats-bombardment annoying. Perhaps a word somewhere in the thread should nip the situation in the bud

Originally posted by tdave on 18 Mar 2010, 15:36.
Last edited by tdave on 19 Mar 2010, 07:36, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
Hmmm...

I don't ask for stats in every post but when someone who shares on their profile a high GMAT score (but don't get an interview for example), I think there is value in telling them to keep their head up and asking them to share their stats if they would like.

They don't have to share. I really don't see an issue unless there is high abuse (every post by a user is all about stats) which can be dealt with privately by PMing the user.

2012dreams wrote:
I don't see a problem with people voluntarily sharing their stats mid thread or elsewhere, what irks me are the people who continually hound people for stats. "Congrats happy123, can you post your stats" "Great news yorkvillepuppies, please share your stats"...but then again, I think a lot of people on this and all MBA boards are a combination of high -strung combined with many being from countries where evaluations and acceptances/rejections are based solely on numbers.

In any case, I don't think this is something that can be completely abolished unless you just start massively banning people, which I don't think is the best solution either. Although we can ban lurkers who add no value to the community except to say they were accepted :evil: j/p
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Kudos
As I applied to numerous schools, I've been keeping with several "Calling all..." threads, and I honestly believe that the Kellogg 2010 thread the ugly step-child right now. I recall there being all call for the lurkers to post their stats at one point, and after that, the thread spiraled out of control. All the lurkers that were hesistant to post before only started doing so after that, and they really weren't familar with the culture of the board.

The other threads haven't really had as many problems. Perhaps because no similar call was made.

My personal opinion: And as a current applicant, I don't like the frequent request of posting of stats. There is a 2010 roll call thread for that for the people who want to share the stats. Lurkers can look in there, or on the side if they want, or even PM. Asking about someone's personal stats isn't relevant to the thread.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Kudos
I don't think it's really an issue, I have no problem with giving it and if it becomes an issue, then people will just stop posting stats on there own. I think the real problem is how kellogg and CBS do their announcements, (slowly and over a LONG period of time) which has driven the people mad. Mad I tell ya! I think once the 28th rolls around and all the kelloggians get there results the problem will solve itself and next year you will have a different group and different mentality so over compensating by killing all stats seems like an overkill. (plus most people have posted them anyways.

Just let it be for 10 more days.

(hence why I'm a libertarian)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)
Send PM
Kudos
GoBruins, hit the nail on the head. The rolling notification process has made many of us (including me) overly anxious and loony. Seeing the stats of people is useful for some of us, because we applied with a compelling, unique "story" and elite experience, but our GMAT/GPA was low. Diversity(defined however you'd like) is important to many people in making their school choice, and if no one is filling out his or her profile on the left hand side or on the Profiles 2010 thread, then there should be a ban on lurkers who just drop in to say they are admitted without providing any other useful information.

I think those that used this site for GMAT preparation have a different perspective than those of us who just have used this site for discussing applications. I have made a few great contacts on this site already, and I am very grateful to the founders/moderators, but there needs to be better communication with regards to what the expectations of new members are. Perhaps, receiving an automated email on code of conduct when you sign up for an account. Also, more frequent use of polling to ensure the quality of the site.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q50  V47
GPA: 2.5 Applied Math Major
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Send PM
Kudos
I actually really like the openness of the stats on this site. While I completely agree that stats aren't everything, they do factor in. Schools wouldn't make you take the gmat or list your gpa if they weren't relevant to your candidacy.

I think stats have a usefulness, and I personally think that more people should be open about them. I think there are many people that love seeing other people's stats, and yet they're paranoid to post their own. I would actually prefer that everyone list their stats (in the 2010 profiles thread).

As far as a privacy issue goes with posting stats, I don't really see a problem with it. I'm not going to post anything on here that would bad-mouth any school. It's similar to making sure that you don't have objectionable content on facebook. The reality is that the school has access to most of the information I'd post on here anyway. The other reality is that for people applying to multiple schools, only one will be your favorite, but you'd like to get into every school which you applied. I think adcoms know you've applied to multiple schools, and that whichever school they work for may not be your dream choice. I also don't know how much stalking a member of an admissions committee would do. They see a lot of applications and don't have a lot of time to make decisions (it only feels like a lot of time).

As far as the Kellogg thread goes, i think that it's completely out of hand (albeit, I'm not sure it's spamming either). If people just posted their stats in the right place, you'd have a very nice reference for everyone who cared to look.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Send PM
So

1) thank you for all the comments.

2) Some of you did not listen to my warning, and you will not post here again. not under the same username anyway. j/k
GMAT Club Bot