Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 14:52 It is currently 14 May 2024, 14:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Re: Duke EMBA v Full time (top-5?) MBA in two years [#permalink]
Thanks for the reply, Alex.

I understand what you're getting at. It would be easier to get a job at Merrill Lynch if I attended a full time program and if I had my heart set on Boeing, then either would be acceptable.

I suppose I'm also curious about my odds are at getting into a top-5 full time program. I would hate to say no to Duke now only to be turned down by every top-5 three years from now. I realize that my GPA is low and I intend to remedy that by doing well on my UCLA extension courses and showing that my record since college reflects a maturity not had by my 19 year old self. What, in your opinion, would be my odds of being accepted into one of these programs? Does it really matter to prospective employers that, given my experience and background, my MBA would be from Duke vice Harvard or Northwestern?

Again, thank you for your insight. I'm not too familiar with the business world and this is all fascinating to me.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
If you're able to reveal in a networking event, interview, or even in your resume (how you write it) that you have a strong sense for what specific skillsets (leadership, analytical/problem-solving, decision-making, etc) from your military experience can translate into the civilian/business world, the employer will likely value your military background moreso than whether you went to one top school vs another. Moreover, there's a good number of veterans in the business world, and they certainly like to take care of their own (i.e. to a veteran, being a veteran yourself is more important than whether said veteran went to the same b-school as you did; veteran status trumps b-school name especially if you went to a good or great school, which Duke is).

Also, in the real world, recruiters and business professionals care *less* than MBA students/applicants about b-school prestige. Will most acknowledge or know that HBS has a better rep than Duke? Yes. But does that mean they will make a summary judgment of you simply because of the school you went to? Absolutely not. Again, recruiters care mostly about what you can bring to the table in terms of your skills and your ability to contribute to their bottom line. And most know that that has little to do with the name of your education beyond a certain threshhold - going to a "good" school helps is a reaffirmation that you're probably a pretty capable guy, but whether it's a top school vs another won't really matter as much as applicants/students think. The MBA is *one* line item on your resume - they are interested in you for the totality of your work to date (and you as a person, which is why they interview you and not just hire you based on a resume). The only exception to this is if you're looking for investment banking or management consulting jobs -- but then again, most people who go into this meat grinder leave within 1.5 - 3 years anyhow, only to enter industry of some sort where actual operating/real world/managerial experience is more valuable than credentials anyhow.

As for your chances at these full-time programs, you have enough of a shot that it could be worth applying if you really want to go, but no one is a shoe-in at these places even with the most exceptional of credentials. It really just comes down to a judgment call on your part whether you want to go now and get it over with, or leave it till later and then apply full-time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Wusappenin,

It's really funny that I came across your post! I was just accepted into the Duke Cross Continent Program and I had very similar dilemma as you. I was trying to decide whether to accept the offer or try for a top 5 school within a couple of years. I've ultimately chosen to go to Duke. I believe I had a strong chance at getting into one of the top 5 but one factor that ended up helping me with my decision is the pure financial aspect. The company I work for will pay for the program and I will continue to make a salary. This is a kin to completing your tour and then being able jump straight into your career.

Hopefully you'll decide to join and I'll see you in Shanghai in August!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, GM,
Schools:Stern, Fuqua
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Interestingly enough, I too was in the same exact position as FelipeM, and I too chose Fuqua CC program due to company sponsorship.

FelipeM - send me a PM so we can connect before August!!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Interesting...i've also accepted by Duke CC. I chose to this program is because I want a career enhancement rather than a complete switch of career. Also, I only want to stay in Asia (but I want a US degree, since I grew up in US). This leads me to have little interest to go to school full time in US. Anyway, I hope to see u guys in SH in Aug
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is it too late to apply to Duke CC 2010-11? How do I ask company for sponsorship if it's not listed in our education tuition policy? Whether I'm sponsored or not, I'm still interested in applying!
GMAT Club Bot