Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

I would not worry so much about the MSIT program. If I understand your account, you became more interested in "mainstream" business after taking these classes. If an MSIT no longer suits your goals, it makes sense from a "sunk cost" perspective to cut your losses and focus on a more appropriate academic program. As long as your grades have been reasonably strong so that you are making the transition from a position of strength, I think it will be viewed as a reasonable move by many observers.

I would also place less emphasis on how "school x" will view your transition. Instead, construct a portfolio of schools to adjust for the risk of aversion by any particular school.

Best,

Hjort
Send PM
Re: Thank you [#permalink]
Expert Reply
peterpan wrote:
Linda

Thank you so much for your reply.
Do you think I would stand a reasonable chance by explaining that I took these classes out of the need to learn how to run my own company, however, I have realized that random classes cannot equate to a full-fledged MBA program in teaching me business skills? I also want to drop out of the MSIT program now, do you think this would help or hurt my aplication? On one hand it may show I am not a degree-collector on the other hand would it cast a doubt on persistence sticking with a program? BTW, Harvard and MIT actually do not require transcripts from schools where one did not finish a degree. I wonder how much those graduate business classes hurt my profile?
Another question I have is for the case that I do not get in this year and have to reapply for the next year. If my startup company fails and I have to get a regular job by next year how much would that hurt my case? Can schools really find out about all jobs I have held even if the job is only for the duration of two weeks or if I have do something part-time to keep myself from starving? I would prefer not to list those side-jobs because they would not match my industry or career pattern; they merely serve to pay bills.
Regarding reapplication, would you suggest to apply anywhere but Harvard if my application is not too strong, in the case I need to reapply? What are the chances in terms of admissions for Europeans compared to Americans at US B-schools? Does it matter which European country I am a citizen of? I can claim citizenship for either Poland or Germany, would one be better than the other?
I would really appreciate if you could give me some advice.

Peter

Peter,

First I want to be very clear: I am not encouraging you to drop out of your MS program for admissions reasons. Many applicants have an MS in some other field. They, like you, have to explain why they need an MBA to achieve their current goals. Indeed, if someone has a low undergrad GPA a high grad GPA can mitigate the impact of the low GPA. The fact that you have taken some business class also is not going to automatically hurt you. As I said earlier,you can say that these classes whetted your appetite for more.

If you start-up fails you will have lots of good company in the applicant pool. Show what you learned from the experience and how you grew as a result, and it won't hurt you. Especially if you get a good job afterwards.

Once accepted, many schools (Wharton and Haas for example) will verify the information you put on your application. They want to see that you have been truthful. If you haven't, they can withdraw their offer of admission.

I would not suggest applying to Harvard unless you are sure you are submitting your best application. Harvard sets the bar high for reapplicants.

Europeans are currently sought by b-schools because not that many are applying. I don't know if Germans or Poles are more sought after, but I don't think it makes a big difference. Ultimately its you, not your nationality, that they will accept.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks [#permalink]
How do schools find out whether you have been truthful about your employement? Do they check tax statements, is there some kind of national registry, etc?

Where do you think is the cutoff in GMAT score where you would not recommend applying to Harvard?

Thank you
Send PM
Re: Thanks [#permalink]
Expert Reply
peterpan wrote:
How do schools find out whether you have been truthful about your employement? Do they check tax statements, is there some kind of national registry, etc?

Where do you think is the cutoff in GMAT score where you would not recommend applying to Harvard?

Thank you

Some schools actually hire firms to check into accepted applicants backgrounds. These are the same companies that check out prospective employees for companies. They will call previous employers and ask about hire and fire dates, etc.

I don't know of an official cutoff score. But an unofficial one is probably around 600 and someone getting in with that low a score would probably be from a very underprepresented group, have great grades, an incredible personal story, and outstanding work experience. For mere mortals the realistic cut-off would be more like 650-670.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Thanks [#permalink]