Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: social enterprise
Schools:University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
 Q44  V47
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [3]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Re: How to get a loan? [#permalink]
solaris1 wrote:
Talk to your school's Financial Aid office - they can tell you what lenders their students have worked with in the past. It's not a very complicated process at all.

You will be able to borrow PLUS (or private loans, if you choose to go that route) loans in addition to the Perkins and Stafford loan funds you have already been offered by your school. You can borrow a combination of all three as long as your total borrowing is no higher than your school's "Cost of Attendance" calculation. The amount of money you make or the length of your credit history generally does not really matter at all if you decide to go with federal loans.

I don't know much about what is going on in the private student loan market these days, but I borrowed my Stafford and PLUS loans from Discover and have been pretty satisfied. At least last year they had a marginally better deal on PLUS loans as compared to the other lenders. Not sure if that is still the case.

If you've never borrowed before and want to learn more about federal student aid (for us that unfortunately only means loans) check out https://studentaid.ed.gov

Thanks for the response, this calms my nerves. So, once you receive the quotes from your school, you choose a lender? It would be great to amass a list of lenders & rates somewhere on this site (at least for this year). Once I really start looking, I'll get on that. Apparently I need to wait until the school releases their final estimate for next year's tuition & costs.

Does anybody know how (or if) the new Reconciliation Bill will affect us?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
I am not taking out any loan for bschool (so Solaris1 or anyone else, correct me if I am wrong), but from what I’ve seen, once the school’s fin aid office has Stafford, GradPlus and other loan apps made available, you have to fill them out. They might ask you to file additional papers for guarantors (if needed) and also if you’ve never taken out a loan before, you have to get a loan counseling or some kinda workshop….

Once that’s all done, your school fin aid office processes the apps and the lender will send the money directly to the school. School will deduct money for tuition and whatever it left over, they send you a check
VP
VP
Kudos
Most schools recently switched to the Direct Loan Program through which GradPLUS and Stafford loans etc will be offered well...directly by the USG. At my school the will start processing new loans under the Direct program after July 1st, 2010. If you're done with filing a FAFSA already, you should be in good shape.

Last year my loans didn't get approved until like a week or so before I actually matriculated!

EGall wrote:
Has anyone's B-school begun offering the federal direct loan processing for GRAD Plus loans for 2010-2011 financial aid year? I was notified of my Stafford awards last week, and am eager to complete the process with my GRAD Plus loans. However, the transition to direct lending (change made as part of the healthcare bill) seems to have caused some delay for most schools. Has anyone else gotten this far?

For students who have already gone through the financial aid process, do you recall at what point you had a full picture of your financial aid picture for the ensuing year?
Current Student
 Q44  V47
Send PM
nink wrote:
I am not taking out any loan for bschool (so Solaris1 or anyone else, correct me if I am wrong), but from what I’ve seen, once the school’s fin aid office has Stafford, GradPlus and other loan apps made available, you have to fill them out. They might ask you to file additional papers for guarantors (if needed) and also if you’ve never taken out a loan before, you have to get a loan counseling or some kinda workshop….

Once that’s all done, your school fin aid office processes the apps and the lender will send the money directly to the school. School will deduct money for tuition and whatever it left over, they send you a check

Thanks, nink. These are the kind of super-basics I'm looking for. So basically, I can wait until my school has the applications available before I start worrying? I'm so used to worrying, now that my deposit is paid I'm looking for new things to worry about. Speaking of which....

solaris1 wrote:
Last year my loans didn't get approved until like a week or so before I actually matriculated!

That's frightening! Have you guys ever heard of anyone actually being turned down? Last year, a friend of mine had to postpone grad school entirely because she couldn't get enough loans. Granted, that was for social work, but still...
VP
VP
Kudos
conmisdosmanos wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

That's frightening! Have you guys ever heard of anyone actually being turned down? Last year, a friend of mine had to postpone grad school entirely because she couldn't get enough loans. Granted, that was for social work, but still...

Don't worry, Financial Aid coordinates with the Bursar's Office and if you're paying your tuition with student loans, you're generally not subject to the same deadlines as students who're paying the Bursar directly. I'm just saying that even a week before classes start is enough time for everything to get processed smoothly. However, don't take that to mean you can just chill and not concern yourself with such things until the very last minute.

Definitely reach out to Financial Aid with any questions - however silly they might seem. They're paid to handle these things for you.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
conmisdosmanos wrote:
Have you guys ever heard of anyone actually being turned down? Last year, a friend of mine had to postpone grad school entirely because she couldn't get enough loans. Granted, that was for social work, but still...

While you certainly can get turned down or offered very high rates for private student loans if your credit history isn't good (at least as long as the People's Republic of America continues to let banks make private student loans), it's highly unlikely you'll be turned down for the Stafford or GradPLUS loans. I don't think there's any credit check for Stafford loans, and I think you essentially need to have defaulted on other student loans or declared bankruptcy in the past to not pass the credit checks for GradPLUS.
Current Student
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Can one of you please explain what this means: "rates of Prime+100bps and 1mLIBOR+450bps "? (Solaris1, I stole that directly from one of your 'Financing your MBA' posts.)

Also, is there some sort of consensus on whether it's best/cheapest/easiest to just go with the GradPLUS loans, or to shop around for private loans? Obviously, everyone's situation is different, but there seems to be a lot of debate on that topic. I'm inclined to do whatever is simplest since I'm so clueless, but I'm definitely interested in learning.

Thanks again, all of you, for your answers. It's reassuring to hear from people who've been through this already.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
conmisdosmanos wrote:
Can one of you please explain what this means: "rates of Prime+100bps and 1mLIBOR+450bps "? (Solaris1, I stole that directly from one of your 'Financing your MBA' posts.)

You'll have to forgive solaris1, after a year at Stern he just assumes everyone talks like a banker. It means the interest rates are variable, based on benchmark rates (either the prime rate or the 1 month LIBOR) plus a certain margin: 100 basis points over prime or 450 basis points over LIBOR (a basis point = 0.01%). So assuming the current prime rate is 3.5% and 1 mo. LIBOR is 1% (I just made those up), these loans would currently charge 4.5% or 5.5%, respectively. You can easily find the current prime and LIBOR on the internet or in the WSJ. As the prime rate or LIBOR increase/decrease, the interest rates on these loans will increase/decrease.

conmisdosmanos wrote:
Also, is there some sort of consensus on whether it's best/cheapest/easiest to just go with the GradPLUS loans, or to shop around for private loans? Obviously, everyone's situation is different, but there seems to be a lot of debate on that topic. I'm inclined to do whatever is simplest since I'm so clueless, but I'm definitely interested in learning.

There is a lot of debate on this topic precisely because there is no real consensus. Currently, the rates on GradPLUS are above the rates on many private loans, but are fixed compared to the variable rates of private loans. So people who think that interest rates will remain low for the near to mid-term are generally more in favor of private loans, while people who think that interest rates will go up (like I do) are more in favor of the fixed-rate GradPLUS.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
THANK YOU!!! I've been trying to figure this out. I think I may have to just go with Federal aid, right now I have a car loan (plan on selling before school) that will probably make borrowing privately a pain in the a@@, but I too guess I'm confused about timelines - am I supposed to be working on this now? Do I need to wait for my financial aid package from school? Is most of this done in June/July?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:MIT
 Q50  V46
Send PM
Does anyone know of any private loan options for international students WITHOUT a US co-signer, and NOT the school option?

I haven't been able to find any through the school resources or searching online. But I might be missing something...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
loans can easily available these day..for business loan you have to show your strength..like how many workers in company, have your own company or have on lease, & what is the total profit you gain from the company...if you have these all things you get business loan easily....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Due to the advancement of technology, you can carry your whole world in the pocket. You can book a cab, watch a movie, read a book, order food, make online payments, and perform almost every activity. Another useful feature is acquiring quick credit through instant loan app. The app also lets you track all your expenses and income through the app and manage your loan. Gone are the days when you had to visit a bank, apply for the loan, and then wait for the approval. The online loan apps in India are designed to make managing loans easier for people like you.
GMAT Club Bot