Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Essay A or Essay B

You may select 1 option
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [2]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [2]
Concentration: International Development, Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
 Q48  V47
GPA: 3.6 - Ivy
Send PM
Re: POLL: What kind of prose to use in B-school essay? [#permalink]
Kudos
I propose:
Prolix prose.

Portentous and pretentious
Momentous and sententious
Fustian and florid
Histrionic, horrid
Baroque? Oh no!
Try rococo!
Magniloquent
Grandiloquent
Such windy wild wordses!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
A is absolutely absurd if it goes on like that the whole time. Unless you are literally the second coming of Vonnegut, i would not go that route. I think the best essays (per some books i perused before I did mine) use type A as the opening paragraph, but then B for the rest. You do want to make it somewhat intriguing to read, after all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:MIT
 Q50  V46
Send PM
I think it depends on the essay prompt.

For the goals and careers stuff, def go with essay B. I think it should be a professional tone in the style of business communication but obviously still your own voice.
For the "tell us something surprising" or lighter essays I would totally recommend going with a personal tone - whether that means heavy on the prose or high on the humor...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
 Q48  V47
Send PM
The point you have to remember -- as I barely, barely refrain from writing this entire post in verse -- is this:

The Example A prompt is from the end of a poem by Mary Oliver.
The Example A response is from some touchy-feely bullpucky conceived as an art project/good marketing on the HBS website.* The guy wrote it long after being admitted to HBS.

The Example B prompt is at the top of the page you took it from: "What specifically have you done to help a group or organization change?" It was an actual essay prompt for Harvard. The Example B response is from someone who wrote it long before being admitted to Harvard. He got in.

Based on those specs, you might be safer taking, well, the safer route.

*Don't get me wrong, I find it inspiring too and I like the pretty pictures. This is much more my style of writing as well. But it's probably a little too too, if you know what I mean, for a professional school essay. (Probably what did me in at Stanford, actually.)
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
Good point shadow. Is Essay B similar in style to your essays for Yale?

yeah, my essays for all 3 schools i applied to were all pretty similar to B. idk, i'm not really in a position to dole out essay advice, but what another poster mentioned in this thread seems pretty sound; it's ok for certain portions of your essay - maybe a few sentences in the intro or conclusion - to have interesting prose. just don't lay it on too thick
Director
Director
Send PM
Aenigma...great advice. It's very easy to over think these essays and start to get lost in the clouds. It's good to have the gmatclub reality check :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
When my grandkids gather around me clamoring to listen to my bschool admission essays, I will not be proud that all my essays were EssayB type. But, Essay B is safe, it will get you admitted to the school of your potential (and luck). But, if you are reaching beyond your stats (eg 450 GMAT, 2.0 GPA, 2 years of missing work experience), then you better have something that sounds like Essay A. I hear Stanford digs it if you have a memorable story to tell so Essay A might help if you are superstar. I didn't have a good story, didn't write it well and got rejected for that and perhaps many other reasons.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q50  V47
GPA: 2.5 Applied Math Major
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Send PM
passivation wrote:
But, if you are reaching beyond your stats (eg 450 GMAT, 2.0 GPA, 2 years of missing work experience), then you better have something that sounds like Essay A.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I think you better get to the point and not waste the reader's time. I wrote about my GPA in the same style as essay 2. You can write some crazy stories in a very direct manner. I don't think it's best to write about your shortcomings (or strengths) in a very poetic way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
I don't think it's best to write about your shortcomings (or strengths) in a very poetic way.

Yeah, that's what my livejournal is for.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International business, pharmaceutical, bio-tech
Schools:Cambridge/Judge '11
Send PM
Cambridge and Oxford business schools had one liberal, different essay question each. Especially one of them, entitled "What inspires you most?" prompted me to write a type A essay. The second one, "which recent book/event changed the way you view the world?" made me compose an essay with both A and B characteristics. I especially enjoyed the freedom of the inspiration essay, which definitely became a nice little piece of prose.

Oh, and I got admitted to both schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
Kudos
"A" as it's written is a little absurd but a good story telling style can definitely work to make your essay stick. I did this for some of my schools or some hybrid of A and B (2 acceptances and 1 waitlist for those apps). I think there are a couple things to consider before going down path "A". If at any point the answer is "No", default to B because you shouldn't impede your chances before the essays are ever read.

1. Do you have some 'game'? If you have written a story and have had people entertained by your style of writing, maybe you do. If you studied writing, maybe you do. If you write as part of your job for end-user consumers, maybe you do. If you're not sure or don't have the confidence to say yes, I would probably avoid it.

2. Do you a large enough word limit? If you have 250 words or less, dressing up a situation with a story could be a waste of words. If you have more than 500, a story could be a great way to get a point across. Stories can paint a picture including emotion, suspense, and/or laughter while engaging your audience more than just listing your stellar accomplishments and career goals. If you think you can fit a story into a smaller limit (not impossible, just really hard), make sure you read #3.

3. You need a REALLY good editor (yourself, friend, contractor)? It's pretty easy to start telling a story on paper the same way that you might tell a story verbally. A great editor can help you make the transition and tell you if your story is just not flying. Depending on how honest you were on #1 and #2 will determine how much an editor can help you and how easy the process might be.

Hope these tips help someone who might be on the fence which way to go. Be honest with yourself about what you can do and put your best foot forward. Don't take a risk to appear 'different' from the pack just to have it backfire.
GMAT Club Bot