Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3225 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Changing meaning of original sentence [#permalink]
I would have picked (D) in the first question and
(A) in the second question.

option (C) in second question is wrong because "famous because of "The Godfather," incorrectly modifies the "ailing mobster"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
option (C) in second question is wrong because "famous because of "The Godfather," incorrectly modifies the "ailing mobster"

See, I thought it was correctly modifying it because with no context given, I thought maybe the mobster was the one that was famous because of "The Godfather." Do you see how that is kinda unclear? That's why I'm wondering if I could have eliminated that because it doesn't adhere to the exact meaning of the original sentence.

So just to restate the original question, is it always the case that the meaning of the original sentence defaults as correct, regardless of whether it is the correct answer?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
i would hav picked D too ..but im convinced with the explanation that it should have been "amounts"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Even I thought for the correct C and A but as per the meaning of the sentences , I marked D and C and fell for both of them :( .

What a carelessness.

Well, thanks for bring us these 2 SCs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Referring to th Corleone post:
The GMAT would never ask such a poorly constructed SC question.
It is only these training institutes that would display such adept capabilities :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
in the first question leaving apart the explanation that is given C would still be correct since if we want to use 'amount' that fragment would read "amount for all fines" or "amount of fine"..but "amount of fines" is incorrect. Since all the options have the word "fines" we have to use the word 'number' instead of 'amount'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 343 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I too picked D on the MGMAT test but till date couldn't figure out the actual reason for not using "amount". I assumed that since the original sentence had used "number" so one shouldn't really tamper with such infomration when looking for the correct answer. But the explanation about using "amounts" instead is very good. Thanks :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Hi All,

for the first one the correct answer is C. Well in such constructions like " the amount/number of.." never use amounts/numbers.

For the other one, C is the correct answer. First, in option A, "he" In "near to those he..." is ambiguous : between god father and mobster. Second, the word "near" refers to the person who came and is also modifying the noun mobster. Option C breaks the ambiguity. try to give a peek to option C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Hello!

Just ran into this same problem and I was wondering if we could get an expert to comment!

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
I ran into the same question and was wondering, if the meaning of the question seems ambiguous, which answer should we select?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Changing meaning of original sentence [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
IMO:

it must be noted that SC is a part of the verbal reasoning; logic and grammar are central to the veracity of the issue before.
If the original is faulty either in grammar or in logic, then dump it in the dust bin and go for a more sensible and error-free alternative.

I couldn't be more forthright.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
scz4 wrote:
I ran into the same question and was wondering, if the meaning of the question seems ambiguous, which answer should we select?

I think this (long-winded) article might help: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-sc- ... 44623.html.

The short version: eliminate any answer choices with DEFINITE violations of grammar rules first. Then, compare the meaning in the remaining answer choices. You will NEVER see an official question that leaves the correct meaning ambiguous between two grammatically correct answer choices: one answer choice will clearly be more logical and error-free than the others, as daagh suggested above.

And for whatever it's worth, there's nothing special about answer choice (A) -- it may or may not convey the correct meaning of the sentence. If two answer choices seem indistinguishable on an official SC question, I can promise that you're missing some fine detail of grammar or (more likely!) meaning.

I hope this helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts