Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 20:10 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 20:10
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3476 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [1]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Re: . [#permalink]
Kudos
username123 wrote:
a lot of people find the gre easier than the gmat. is there any downside to taking the gre instead? ?

As someone that's taken both exams, I think this is a mischaracterization. Many people find the GRE easier but many others find the GMAT easier. It depends on your personal strengths and weaknesses. They are different exams, most notably on the verbal side and people that struggle with the GMAT verbal could struggle even more with the GRE verbal section, where your score will depend very heavily on your knowledge of obscure English vocabulary.

I don't think anyone can tell you for certain how your taking the GRE will be viewed by the adcom at a particular school, but I think it's safe to say that it'll be one additional question mark that you'll add to your file, during an admissions process where your entire goal is to soundly answer any and every question adcom could have about your business potential.

If your only reason for taking the GRE vs. GMAT is because you think one might be easier than the other for you, I'd recommend taking one practice exam of each before proceeding. Unless you have a huge percentile difference on your first crack, or you plan to apply to non-MBA programs (in which case, you may just want to take a little time to crystallize your short and long term educational/career goals), it'd probably be best to really focus on upping your GMAT score and using that for your application.
Princeton Review Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey guys,

GRE Instead of GMAT for B-Schools?

There has been a lot of conversation about this topic over the past few years and I thought I would share some of my thoughts surrounding this GMAT/GRE debate, so you can consider the implications it may have for you if any.
Quick Background

The GMAT still has a monopoly at business schools but the GRE is trying to chip away. The GMAT is the time-honored hoop to jump through for virtually all students seeking admission to business school while the Educational Testing Service (ETS), which administers the GRE, is taking aim at the b-school market by introducing the GRE. The GRE is used by a wider range of graduate schools, as an alternative to the GMAT. I took the GRE when I went to graduate school for Clinical Psychology. I like to refer to it as an SAT on steroids (as they expect you to know thousands more words on the verbal). If you have taken the SAT, you have seen many question types that exist on the GRE.

So now there is a dogfight as ETS wants to collect some more revenue and GMAC wants to keep it all. Proponents of the GRE option say they believe it may help b-schools attract classes that are more diverse and to land students who are considering both business school and master’s or Ph.D. programs in other business-related fields. What we do know is that schools are still figuring out what they want to do, whether accept GRE scores quietly (not publicizing it) or on a case-by-case basis.

Should you take the GRE over the GMAT? Some Things to Consider:
1. Some top-tier business programs such as Stanford and MIT’s Sloan School of Management accept the GRE. Stanford says the GMAT is required for admission but it will accept the GRE as an alternative. Some schools are more lenient in accepting the scores and “allow for degrees of freedom.” This is just to show you that it would be OK should you choose this route.
2. Do you already have a GRE score in the bank? Basically if a school you are applying to accepts the GRE and you already have a score (within the time frame and it’s a top-notch score), it may save you time to bypass the testing portion of the whole cycle. Not many people fill this space.
3. The GRE is changing. A new test can mean many things good and bad (i.e. GRE will be longer). Launching in 2011, ETS says it will be “more closely aligned with the types of skills that are required to meet today’s demanding business school expectations.” This could also mean business schools may change how they look at it – we don’t know this yet.
4. Are you unsure about business school? Taking the GRE may keep more options open earlier in your path to some type of graduate school.
5. What are your strengths? If a test is better suited to your strengths, then take that one. It was the same argument in high school – SAT vs. ACT.
6. A test is a test. Whether it is the GMAT or GRE you will most likely have a similar approach in your preparation (time, discipline, practice, etc). People in general tend to be less fearful of the GRE than the GMAT from what I have noticed in my 16 years in the business but the GMAT isn’t a bigger deal (and shouldn’t be more anxiety provoking).
7. Impressions. Some schools may consider scoring high on the GMAT math section more impressive than a 700+ on the GRE quant especially if you apply to math heavy (finance and economics) programs. I would ask them.
8. Are you serious? Preparing for and taking the GMAT may show that you are more serious of an applicant in deciding to pursue an MBA. This may not be true for all applicants and depends on each individual story but if you can back up your focus in your essays, it may show more commitment.
It may sound like I am saying take the GRE…I am not saying that. You still need to consider your personal situation and determine what is best for you at the particular time. On a final note, I don’t believe there is one test that measures the ability of a student to be successful in business (or graduate school).
GMAT Club Bot