Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:37 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Re: Hong Kong UST [#permalink]
@Goodspeed - One of the classes I took was about e-commerce, and it was a mixed class of MscISM with a few MBA students. A few of the MscISM were working in Guangzhou. The MscISM is a part time course so is geared at local candidates where the candidate pool is smaller, particulalry because Hong Kong is not an IT city. Therefore, I think you should have a decent chance of getting into that programme.

@jerukpopo - Not much action from Singapore, I guess the Singapore schools and INSEAD fill those roles quite well. As for Japan, a lot of the action is moving away, and a lot of expats have been leaving Japan recently, generally speaking Japan hires bi-linguals, but for the top-tier investment banks they would recruit globally, so not specifically targetting HKUST. Having said that, Nomura have been recruiting at HKUST but for their HK office.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
togafoot wrote:
@Goodspeed - One of the classes I took was about e-commerce, and it was a mixed class of MscISM with a few MBA students. A few of the MscISM were working in Guangzhou. The MscISM is a part time course so is geared at local candidates where the candidate pool is smaller, particulalry because Hong Kong is not an IT city. Therefore, I think you should have a decent chance of getting into that programme.

Thank you for your comment.
Does full time is also available to MScISM program ?
Current Student
Send PM
Goodspeed wrote:
togafoot wrote:

Thank you for your comment.
Does full time is also available to MScISM program ?

Not as far as I know. PT only I think.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
togafoot,

Can you comment on any trends you see in terms of admissions getting more difficult from year to year, and what the current expectations are for applicants? Also, if one wanted to pursue a trading job, would HKUST be able to provide such training, or is one better off in a MS Financial Engineering type course?

Thanks for your help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

1. How does HKUST compare with NUS?
2. What is the student profile? Age, Nationality, etc
3. My GMAT score is 640, with 3 years WE from a Multinational bank. Will I stand a chance if I apply?
4. How is the exchange student program? Can anyone apply for this?
5. Is it a pre-requisite to learn the chinese language?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Current Student
Send PM
In terms of admission difficulty, the main variable is the number of applicants is increasing. With more candidates, the selection pool is larger, which means the probablity of admission is lower, however this is slighlty being offset by increasing the class size.

riamarts wrote:
Hi,

1. How does HKUST compare with NUS?
2. What is the student profile? Age, Nationality, etc
3. My GMAT score is 640, with 3 years WE from a Multinational bank. Will I stand a chance if I apply?
4. How is the exchange student program? Can anyone apply for this?
5. Is it a pre-requisite to learn the chinese language?

Thanks in advance for the help.

1) All depends on what you are looking for during and after the MBA.
2) https://mba.ust.hk/ftmba/life/profile.html
3) Yes, there is a chance, GMAT is not the only criteria looked at, quality of work experience, international experience, interest in Asia etc. are also some of the other criteria looked at.
4) Yes, competition for the desired exchange school can be fierce, so it depends on the selection criteria which is decided by the student body.
5) No
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Great thread, thanks togafoot
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi Togafoot,

I am an Indian MBA applicant.

Profile: GMAT 730 (AWA: 5.5), Work Ex: 5.5 yrs - Manager leading 6 members in the largest bank (consumer banking credit risk management), Education: MS in Economics from a top school in India.

I am interested in transitioning to a more finance specific role in IB, Treasury, Equity Research etc. in Hong Kong. I do not have aby knowledge of Mandarin. With an MBA from HKUST how difficult would it be to make this transition?

Thanks for your help.
Current Student
Send PM
faduc wrote:
Hi Togafoot,

Profile: GMAT 730 (AWA: 5.5), Work Ex: 5.5 yrs - Manager leading 6 members in the largest bank (consumer banking credit risk management), Education: MS in Economics from a top school in India.

I am interested in transitioning to a more finance specific role in IB, Treasury, Equity Research etc. in Hong Kong. I do not have aby knowledge of Mandarin. With an MBA from HKUST how difficult would it be to make this transition?

Thanks for your help.

For China focused roles you would probably not have much chance, but for the roles which are more regional then there is no problem.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
togafoot wrote:
faduc wrote:
Hi Togafoot,

Thanks for your help.

For China focused roles you would probably not have much chance, but for the roles which are more regional then there is no problem.

And normally are such roles available on graduation from HKUST? Or is it very difficult to land one?
Current Student
Send PM
faduc wrote:
togafoot wrote:
faduc wrote:
Hi Togafoot,

And normally are such roles available on graduation from HKUST? Or is it very difficult to land one?

I did not look for finance related roles, but quite a few of my class mates have ended up in finance related roles. Most are in equity related research, a few in hedge funds and private equity, and several in other areas of finance (i.e. management training programmes in financial product companies).

Is it difficult to land one? Depends on economic climate, it`s competitive in the current market situation, so how the candidate presents themselves and networks is also very important. Opportunities will come through the careers office and through personal networking, its then up to the candidate to demonstrate their all-round skills.
It`s important to remember that b-school is a balance of networking, and academia when finding the right opportunity, and relying solely on the careers office (at any school) will not always get you the best range of opportunities.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 314 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Schools:ISB, Terry MBA, University of Miami, HULT MBA, York University
Send PM
Hi togafoot,
Can you please brief regarding Cost of HKUST MBA? Tution fee + Living expense
Current Student
Send PM
Tuition fee is on the website $53.9k USD (https://www.mba.ust.hk/ftmba/admissions/tuition.htm)

Living expenses:- If you live on Campus... cheap, if you live off campus - can be expensive. Food = cheap, travel = cheap. Nightlife - can be expensive. All relative to lifestyle
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3