Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 16:56 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 16:56
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1152 [1]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: I screwed up... and now I want to fix my GMAT prep [#permalink]
mohater wrote:
Two things:
If you're going to reschedule do it soon. If you wait and will lose the entire sitting fee, I'd say just take the test. No sense is throwing your money away. The reschedule fee is $50 if you get in before the cut off.

I don't see any mention of an error log. You have sufficient materials, but prep without a guide (an error log) is like having an ikea desk in pieces without the instructions (anyone who has shopped at ikea will understand the reference).

i saw error log mentioned here. i wonder how the error log looks like. i've been doing a collection of questions that i did wrong, is it considered error log?
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1152 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
tt11234 wrote:
i saw error log mentioned here. i wonder how the error log looks like. i've been doing a collection of questions that i did wrong, is it considered error log?

An error log is YOUR means of tracking your progress and creating benchmarks.

Incorrect answers is probably the single biggest piece of an error log. You should also track the difference between problems you guess entirely on (no idea what to do), problems you are able to narrow down, etc..

Back to Bltiz:

If you read my debrief, you'll see I could NOT overcome certain shortcomings UNTIL I focused on my error log (specifically: the SC portion). You can see the error log competition thread and the error log thread
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html
(click on error log for the error log thread).

I posted my error log as a joke in the competition. It was just a piece of paper and a legend (diff marks for each type: ones I guessed on (different marking for entire guess vs narrow down) and marking for ones I solved incorrectly). This helped me overcome the anxiety of the test (SLOW DOWN WHEN READING PROBLEMS. Yes, I yelled at myself in my head in all caps). By using active monitoring (as opposed to passive monitoring) I was able to reduce the # of "duh" mistakes and figure out the "why" for other problems (why I was routinely getting certain problems incorrect).
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73517 [0]
Given Kudos: 19076
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Don't try to rush it and just cover the material - try to enjoy it (so to speak). Make sure you understand all points/strategies - write them out or create some kind of notes (very helpful for most).

I'd put a target of 20-25 hrs/week with one day off so you don't feel guilty and have a chance to relax and get your mind back in order. I studied without any breaks for 2-3 months and see what happened?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@mohater: hopefully the error log will help me!

@bb: thanks for your advice it is very realistic. I need to study for another exam in the process and run my own consulting business but I believe that 20-25 hours per week works.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Management
Schools:Duke/Fuqua
Send PM
You may also want to employ flash cards to help retain critical data? They work for me! :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I have been told some excellent advice. I'd like to share it with the rest of the community.

Since my new exam date is going to be in approximately 12-13 weeks, I've set a study schedule which I will study for the GMAT approximately 20-25 hours per week. This allows me to complete 1 MGMAT guide per week (starting with the Math guides). The format would be as follows:

MGMAT math guide (for example: Number Properties):
Read the whole book (including advanced sections) and take notes. Taking notes is time consuming but it is important as it will help remember. Once the book is complete, re-read notes and important examples and then (and ONLY then) do the OG problems in OG 12th edition and OG quant (2nd edition).

Same process to repeat for all 5 MGMAT quant books.

For verbal: do 1 MGMAT guide per week. Take notes, study them and then do the OG problems 12th edition and OG verbal (2nd edition).

Assuming all goes well, that should take up 8-9 weeks of my prep. Then, the last 3-5 weeks will be focussed on doing MGMAT CATs (6), GMAT Prep 1 & 2 and many problems from the OG which I had difficulty in (or got wrong).

Have gotten mixed reviews about an error log. Need to see which type of error log will work best for me as some people have told me it is very time consuming and may add little value (700+ scorers).

BLITZ
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 525 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Hey I got a 430 too! Join the club =)

nah just kidding. Study hard. This website is great because people usually post the challenging more critical questions up for discussion so it really works your brain muscles. Don't try to cram 10+ hours a day. For me, I can probably do about 3-4 hours of intense studying depending on how well I rested the night before. However, don't let that slack you. If you keep it up, like I have, you'll start to feel more and more confident as you get more questions right. Leave yourself 3-4 months of intense studying as I am pretty confident you will see improvement.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
error logs error logs error logs!!! learn all the formulas etc. too applicable to each section, and memorise all the stuff MGMAT tells you tp memorise. just my thoughts on this anyway - doing that has improved my question-taking ability a lot
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
You need to set a realistic goal (target score, time dedicated to preparation, real-life limiting factors etc). You see, you set a goal and a study plan. You are exited and motivated to achieve it and you honestly think that you'll do whatever it takes to make it. But in a few weeks you discover that you the study plan is not even close to your original expectations. Your real life starts interfering into your study. You feel burnt out and struggling.

In short, be realistic.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
You are absolutely right. I'm going to re-schedule my exam in the next few days. It's about 13 weeks away. I know some weeks I will be able to do more than others but the average of doing 25 hours per week makes a lot of sense.

Here is the plan:

Study time frame: 12-13 weeks

Hours per week (on average): 20-25 hours per week

Target score: 700

study plan per week for 1st 8 weeks: 1 MGMAT book per week (starting with math+take notes for BASIC and ADVANCED, skipping in action problems, OG problems 12th edition and math/verbal 2nd editions ALL)

study plan per week weeks 9-12/13: MGMAT CATs (6), GMAT Prep (2), and combination of OG problems (12th edition)

nonameee wrote:
You need to set a realistic goal (target score, time dedicated to preparation, real-life limiting factors etc). You see, you set a goal and a study plan. You are exited and motivated to achieve it and you honestly think that you'll do whatever it takes to make it. But in a few weeks you discover that you the study plan is not even close to your original expectations. Your real life starts interfering into your study. You feel burnt out and struggling.

In short, be realistic.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
25 hours per week are almost 4 hours a day, every single day. One day you have a huge work load, a headache or whatever, you miss the preparation and the next day you'll have to study 8 hours to compensate for the missed day. It also means that if you come home say at 6 pm, you'll have to study until 10 pm without any breaks (no dinner, no TV, no rest). You have to ask yourself honestly if you can do that without taking a leave from work for 12 weeks?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I appreciate your concern. I currently am self-employed. My schedule and clients is what I make of it and also somewhat not in my control. It's a rather unique situation for the next couple of months. For instance, this week I know I will be fully booked on my business Thursday and Friday (i.e. no GMAT). However, I am free this afternoon, tomorrow and Wednesday all day as well as a couple of hours this weekend. I don't see how I won't get those 20-25 hours in with that type of schedule.

However, I do have another "issue." I have another exam to study for (and that one can't be delayed). The good news is the amount of hours studying isn't too bad and I should be writing that exam about 1 month before the GMAT. The 2 weeks leading up to that exam I will likely do no GMAT studying. Other than those 2 weeks, the rest of the time will likely resemble my schedule of this week (with probably more hours dedicated to the GMAT). The last month of studying my self-employment will not be an issue so I will fully be dedicated to the GMAT as well.

I'm also going on vacation around the end of the month for 1 week.

So the 20-25 hours a week is more of an average than anything. Some weeks I'll likely be able to do more (say 35 hours a week) and some less (say 10 or 15 hours per week)

Any thoughts?

nonameee wrote:
25 hours per week are almost 4 hours a day, every single day. One day you have a huge work load, a headache or whatever, you miss the preparation and the next day you'll have to study 8 hours to compensate for the missed day. It also means that if you come home say at 6 pm, you'll have to study until 10 pm without any breaks (no dinner, no TV, no rest). You have to ask yourself honestly if you can do that without taking a leave from work for 12 weeks?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I am in your same boat...but i have given up all vacations and social life...lol.

I have spent the first two months studying and learning gmat concepts and now reviewing my error log and taking gmat tests. my advice is just focus on the official GMAT book and keep taking tests. it will help you figure out where to spend most of your time.

If you have to go on vacation, I will say this...I did that and skipped four days and I felt like I hadn't studied in a month. take your flash cards with you if you can and try to study when you have downtime or on the plane.

Good Luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Like the previous poster wrote, if your preparation is not continual, its benefits will be much less than if you don't interrupt your studyings. So reconsider your vacation. I don't think it's a wise decision (if it wasn't of course a part of your study plan).

Maybe you can postpone your test day as I personally don't think it's realistic to reach your target score in these circumstances.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
My test is still scheduled for next week. I still have to postpone it (I have until tomorrow to do so). I'd like to do it close to mid-October (I'd end up doing the test a few days before the deadline). They said they are fine with it. I may or may not have a work contract from mid-October to the end of October and that would be long days (10-12 hours per day).

Is there a reason why you think I can't reach my target score? If I were to revise my target score to 660 (rather than it being at 700 now) do you think it makes sense (I probably can live with 650 as well).

Here's how I see it, if I don't get a good score (i.e. let's say below 650), I'll simply re-do the exam. I'll have the time to study and even should get the re-do in before their R3 deadline. I already submitted all of my documents. They are just waiting for my GMAT score.

As for the vacation, I appreciate the last 2 posts concerns. However, it's the only time that I 'realistically can go.' I know it will disrupt some of the flow of my studying. In a way, it's built in to my study plan like that. I have been busy with a lot of things the last month (maybe that's why I wasn't focussed) and my organization has not been ideal... I'm looking forward to some downtime.

Another thing, I have been studying (as you can see from my first post). I may not have been as focussed, but I did do something. I'm not exactly a beginner.

Would like some feedback

Thanks again

nonameee wrote:
Like the previous poster wrote, if your preparation is not continual, its benefits will be much less than if you don't interrupt your studyings. So reconsider your vacation. I don't think it's a wise decision (if it wasn't of course a part of your study plan).

Maybe you can postpone your test day as I personally don't think it's realistic to reach your target score in these circumstances.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
wish you the best..so what is your study plan and how do you plan to be more organized...This has been the toughest part for me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
From my experience these last few months, you have to keep your goal in mind. Unfortunately, I wasn't focussed enough on my goal so I am delaying the exam.

You have to remind yourself that you want to do this because you want to get an MBA at School X and the average GMAT score is Y and you want to do at least as good as that.

Another thing you want to do is have a study schedule that is realistic and that you can stick to. I set an average of doing about 20-25 hours per week. More specifically, I'll be doing 1 MGMAT book per week. I need to make sure I can reach this goal per week. Now, it may not be fully possible due to circumstance x, y or z so you need to be ready to adjust. Btw, my current study plan does not include any of the "in action" problems at the end of the chapters but does include taking notes on all chapters (general and advanced) and doing all OG problems (from 12th edition and 2nd edition verbal or math)

sosogmat wrote:
wish you the best..so what is your study plan and how do you plan to be more organized...This has been the toughest part for me.
GMAT Club Bot