Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 22:48 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Booth 2012
WE 1: Fixed Income IB/Trading
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Booth (admit after R1 waitlist), Wharton (R2 ding), Harvard (R2 ding), Darden (R2 waitlist), McCombs (ding after waitlist)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategic Management, Finance, Managerial and Organizational Behavior
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink]
From what I've heard, you won't get a confirmation email. Booth won't even find out from the US Gov't until they start billing or something like that. I know lots of R1/R2 people who haven't filled out the forms yet, I don't think it's a big rush.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Booth (admit after R1 waitlist), Wharton (R2 ding), Harvard (R2 ding), Darden (R2 waitlist), McCombs (ding after waitlist)
Send PM
I got what appears to be an award letter earlier this week. I was happy to see that I did get some subsidized Stafford loans.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like the median age for those admitted to the class of 2012 has dropped to to the 25-26 range? Browsing through the community directory, it looks like nearly all of the full-time admits graduated in 2006-2007. Of course, this assumes that they finished their undergrad degrees in 4 years, but still... I'm curious if the admissions was specifically looking to bring in a younger class than years past...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Chicago, Yale, UCLA, Duke (Withdrawn), Stanford, Berkeley
Send PM
passivation wrote:
Howdy,
This may relate only to US citizens/residents, I realize that I had long back filled the FAFSA forms etc but I have not yet heard from the financial aid office regarding loan for Booth. When are we supposed to get our confirmations? Or am I missing some emails?

I got mine today.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just got done crunching some numbers. Does anyone else look like they're facing around 150k in student loans once they're through with their two years?

Avg debt for Booth grads per Business Week is ~86k. Based on the estimated costs for two years ($82,595 x2 = 165k), this must mean that those not receiving scholarships (two thirds of us) have (on average) around 80k in savings starting out... am I missing something?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Top B-School
Send PM
booof1042 wrote:
Just got done crunching some numbers. Does anyone else look like they're facing around 150k in student loans once they're through with their two years?

Avg debt for Booth grads per Business Week is ~86k. Based on the estimated costs for two years ($82,595 x2 = 165k), this must mean that those not receiving scholarships (two thirds of us) have (on average) around 80k in savings starting out... am I missing something?

Are you sure that one-third of the class get scholarships? Seems a bit high to me.

I am guessing some students don't take out any loans at all and pay through savings and family contributions (there might even be a few trust-fund babies). $165k is chump change to some folk.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yep, the "roughly 1/3" of students receiving some scholarship money was per the admission staff at one of the info sessions late last year.

I guess in some ways it simplifies things - facing so much debt, your career path is pretty much chosen for you (banking or consulting)! :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Concentration: Strategic Management, Finance, Managerial and Organizational Behavior
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2012
Send PM
shana22 wrote:
From what I've heard, you won't get a confirmation email. Booth won't even find out from the US Gov't until they start billing or something like that. I know lots of R1/R2 people who haven't filled out the forms yet, I don't think it's a big rush.

This isn't true, apparently. I got a letter from Direct Plus saying I had qualified for loans based on a credit check. I haven't heard anything about the subsidized loans....

booof1042 wrote:

I don't think your math of what the non-scholarship people have saved up (~80K) is correct precisely because the non-scholarship people are in the average debt figures. People with scholarships probably bring down that average debt figure from something higher than $86K (Booth doesn't appear to consider need).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
booof1042 wrote:

Yes. Summer internship earnings of, lets say, $15k. Signing bonus of circa $40k.

Add in some work in the offices / teaching assistant roles which are tax free and you can get that number down further.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Concentration: General, Management & Org Behaviour
Schools:Chicago Booth class of 2012
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate
Send PM
Hi guys! It's been so fun to meet some of you... come up and say hi when you see the glasses-wearing Australian girl around the place...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5