Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:34 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Gen Mgt, Consulting, Operations
Schools:MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 483 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
 Q44  V41
Send PM
Re: 620 (50Q 24V) what to do? [#permalink]
Wow, awesome Q score. You should be able to raise ur verbal score very easily, even if you are a non native speaker.

I would start an error log, and do some diagnostic tests in Verbal in OG11 or other study books/programs, to see WHERE exactly you are weak in Verbal, if you don't already know. SC is an easy place (in my opinion) to rack up some points just by following a few rules like parallelism and singular/plural. Reading comp and CR are more subtle, but with practice u can learn to eliminate a few choices, increasing ur odds.

good luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Gen Mgt, Consulting, Operations
Schools:MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality
Send PM
sorry..i should have been more clear in my prev post..

i am talking about the 3 Manhattan Verbal books for SC, CR and RC.

mikpanzeri wrote:
Thanks for your feedback. It's probably a good idea to get some new books. I didn't like the Kaplan ones. Are you referring to the one advertised on the "Verbal GMAT Books" under the "Self-Prep" column?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your feedback guys. Yes I am a non-native speaker but I have been in the country for 8 years (divided between 4 years of college and 4 years in NY). I felt like the math part was much easier than expected. I didn't see many complicated problems. I have strong quantitative background (major in Finance, credit trader, CFA etc). However my verbal skills are not up to par.

I think I struggle the most on the RC because I get lost in the detail question on biological or philisophical passages. I just waste time looking for the answer which turns out to be wrong. Not sure how to turn that around. I guess I have to strenghted SC and CR and try to do "OK" or RC.

Regards,

M
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
mikpanzeri wrote:
Thanks for your feedback guys. Yes I am a non-native speaker but I have been in the country for 8 years (divided between 4 years of college and 4 years in NY). I felt like the math part was much easier than expected. I didn't see many complicated problems. I have strong quantitative background (major in Finance, credit trader, CFA etc). However my verbal skills are not up to par.

I think I struggle the most on the RC because I get lost in the detail question on biological or philisophical passages. I just waste time looking for the answer which turns out to be wrong. Not sure how to turn that around. I guess I have to strenghted SC and CR and try to do "OK" or RC.

Regards,

M

For the section on RC, try taking short notes (one or two words only). It will help you stay focused on the passages you are reading.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 632 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:ISB
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 620  Q51  V23
Send PM
mikpanzeri wrote:
I am little disappointed about my verbal score, it' pretty low. My overall target score is 670-680, therefore I need to improve my verbal part to at least 10 points. I felt the math part was pretty easy, so I am only concerned with the verbal part.

How do you guys suggest to improve it? Is there any material for RC, SC and CR that is significantly better than other? Can I improve 10 points on the verbal section in 4 weeks of study?

I have used Kaplan but I am a bit disappointed with them.

Please advice.

Thanks

hah....The same story here dude !!!

Dnt give up !!! This time its either verbal or me....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Great Quant score. Even if you get 32-35 on verbal the next time, your score will be in the 700's...
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts