Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IB, Entreprenuership, Operations
Schools:LBS, Harvard, Booth, Stanford, ISB, NTU
GPA: 8.5
WE 1: S/W Engineer
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink]
Take it easy as pavle says. Its all down to ur mental strength ( I havent given my test yet but from the practise tests I found this ). So keep ur calm and u d crack GMAT :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V46
Send PM
A lot of test takers struggle with this particular phenomenon. I call it "going on tilt." It is a gambling term. When you lose big (miss a question) you start to get reckless (answering questions without really focusing on the solution, in particular on Data Sufficiency and Sentence Correction.)

Now, I am assuming you don't mean you "miss" a question, because you cannot know that on the test, but you mean you are stuck or confused by a question. This is common to the GMAT, and here are some of the things I personally use, as well as what I suggest to my students.

First of all, you need to remind yourself that roughly 25% of the questions do not count towards your score. In fact, there is a really good chance that you had a hard time on a particular questions because it is a BAD experimental question, or too difficult for your score range.

Secondly, as part of what I do with The Princeton Review, I took the GMATPrep software multiple times aiming for certain scores. On one of my tests, I missed 21 questions on the Quant, and scored a 37. In simpler terms, one individual question REALLY doesn't matter that much, even if that question is early. It is more important to do well on the whole, and not run into a string of missed questions. One doesn't matter.

I also suggest a little mind trick to relax yourself. Right after struggling on a question, take 5 seconds and go to your "happy place." Close your eyes and imagine some vivid and pleasing image. (I use carebears myself...stupid I know, but it works.) The idea is to blank your mind. You want to forget the past question and to focus on the question at hand, unadulterated by previous thoughts. (If you are computer science-y minded, think of it as the garbage collector for your mind.)

I frequently score 50's and 51's on the Quant section, and I am frequently overmatched by a handful of questions. It is just part of the GMAT! The real test is how you adapt to that adversity. Just as the other posters said, you have to put less emphasis on one question.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
OliverTPR wrote:
I also suggest a little mind trick to relax yourself. Right after struggling on a question, take 5 seconds and go to your "happy place." Close your eyes and imagine some vivid and pleasing image. (I use carebears myself...stupid I know, but it works.) The idea is to blank your mind. You want to forget the past question and to focus on the question at hand, unadulterated by previous thoughts. (If you are computer science-y minded, think of it as the garbage collector for your mind.)

I have my GMAT in a few days; this is great advice. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
OliverTPR wrote:

Thank you for that wonderful piece of advice. I will try it during my practice tests.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Here is an article from MGMAT that should should help.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/stress-tips.cfm
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
OliverTPR wrote:

First of all, you need to remind yourself that roughly 25% of the questions do not count towards your score. In fact, there is a really good chance that you had a hard time on a particular questions because it is a BAD experimental question, or too difficult for your score range.

Is this really true? In MGMAT exams, your percentile drops by a point when you get a question wrong.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Probably not because otherwise, starting out in the middle at 50th percentile, you could never get a score lower than 50-37 = 13 percentile.
However, MGMAT algorithm is their own proprietary system that is different from the real GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SigEp
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
OliverTPR wrote:
I frequently score 50's and 51's on the Quant section, and I am frequently overmatched by a handful of questions. It is just part of the GMAT! The real test is how you adapt to that adversity. Just as the other posters said, you have to put less emphasis on one question.

I need to hear this, thank you..

t - 37hrs 12min until game time.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Steer clear of all this redbull mumbo-jumbo. It will only make amp up your nerves come test time.

Try breathing techniques and meditation. Slow your heart rate down. Relax, it's only one stupid test you can take over if you need to!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have another question here. Suppose, I have started off well and the GMAT throws an exceptionally difficult question and I answer that correctly. So, my level is judged(if I have got the concept right). Next I get an experimental question, which I fail to answer. I know that this question does not count towards my score, but what I want to know is that, the level I established before this experimental question will still hold, or will I be thrown a less-difficult question, with my scores going down?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
jananijayakumar wrote:
I have another question here. Suppose, I have started off well and the GMAT throws an exceptionally difficult question and I answer that correctly. So, my level is judged(if I have got the concept right). Next I get an experimental question, which I fail to answer. I know that this question does not count towards my score, but what I want to know is that, the level I established before this experimental question will still hold, or will I be thrown a less-difficult question, with my scores going down?

Hey don't worry much about experimental questions. You'll never come to know which question is real and which is dummy. Just try to solve each question GMAT screen will throw to you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
and in quant if you'll give first 8-10 questions with 80% or more accuracy then the rest questions will be of 600-700 or 700-800 level. n good part is you'll be in top 20 percentage people at all time and chances are you'll get 47+ in quant. i got 47 on both gmatprep tests with 12 wrong answers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Send PM
don't forget to post your GMAT scores and i'm sure you'll do great...All the best.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks PranavChamp! It means a lot to me!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy,IT management
 Q0  V0 GMAT 2: 0  Q0  V0 GMAT 3: 0  Q0  V0
Send PM
Hey Hi jananijayakumar,
What was ur GMAt Score.any updates or debrief?i hope u did well!!
GMAT Club Bot