Last visit was: 06 Jun 2024, 11:03 It is currently 06 Jun 2024, 11:03
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7  ...  147   
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Wharton, Columbia, Sloan
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS (admit), MIT (admit)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business & Strategy
Schools:Oxford R1(ding), INSEAD R2(Admit), HBS R2(admit), LBS R2(ding w/interview)
 Q48  V46
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink]
I'm in for Round 2
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
I'm having a really difficult time deciding whether I want to apply to HBS, what do you guys think.

UGRAD: Top 3 public (UC school): 3.3/history
Grad: Ivy League: 3.7 urban planning
GMAT: 670
We: 3 years real estate development
URM: Hispanic/Mexican-American
Post-MBA: I want to get into social entrepreneurship based private enterprise

I think I'm too old, I have an MA (which seems like Harvard doesnt like?), and my gpa/gmat is a bit off. At the same time it seems like I'm a non-trad candidate so I dont know. Can you guys recommend any other top 5 schools that might be more favorable to my profile. This is more of a hail mary attempt rather than a targeted selection obviously....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 3.4 Ivy
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Send PM
Yeah, it's probably a stretch, but it doesn't seem to be a totally unreasonable one as a URM.

With a 670 and 29 years old? Kellogg.

Try posting your profile on one of the admissions consultants as a profile evaluation. they do it for free. Also, try: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-school-selector/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
In for R1. I was going through the Google spreadsheet and it seems like it hasn't panned out the way it should've. I just like the fact that I'm applying in the same round as a Canadian, 800 GMAT scorer, 2.2 GPA bomber, Nuclear Gardner who claims to be America's next top model.

Strap on suckas, this is going to be one hell of ride!!!

Good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Jeanette wrote:
Yeah, it's probably a stretch, but it doesn't seem to be a totally unreasonable one as a URM.

With a 670 and 29 years old? Kellogg.

Try posting your profile on one of the admissions consultants as a profile evaluation. they do it for free. Also, try: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-school-selector/

Interesting tool by Veritas prep. With my GPA, apparently I would need a 790 for HBS, 780 for Wharton, 770 for Tuck and 760 for Kellogg and 750 for Columbia. Yikes!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:HBS - Class of 2013
 Q49  V42
WE 1: Healthcare Strategy
Send PM
Question about the other employment section of the application. Are you annualizing your salary info for college summer internships? For example, if you earned $8,000 for two months, are you putting just 8k or 48k?

I know Wharton asks for annual salary, but unclear about HBS

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Kudos
:)
# Application for MBA Program: Submitted
Submitted Date: 9/26/2010 4:24:00 AM EST
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:HBS (admit), MIT (admit)
Send PM
Does anyone know how strict HBS is on the essay word limit?

Wharton asks you to stay under the word count but understands if you go over by 50-100 words. What about HBS? Each of my 400-word essays are coming in closer to 440. How problematic is this?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
If all your essays are over the limit, I think it may annoy them. If it's just one or two of your essays that are a little bit over, I doubt they'll care. But it's not like I really know what I'm talking about!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS - Class of 2012
 Q49  V40
Send PM
CarpathianRidge wrote:
Does anyone know how strict HBS is on the essay word limit?

Wharton asks you to stay under the word count but understands if you go over by 50-100 words. What about HBS? Each of my 400-word essays are coming in closer to 440. How problematic is this?

I was 6 words above the limit on two essays and got in. But 40 words is way too much. AFAIK, they actually don't count the words so you will get away with 1%-2% extra. 10% is too much.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Send PM
I've already submitted my application and I was almost 10% above the limit in 2 of the 4 essays... I hope it won't be an issue, I read in several sites that +-10% was fine and I did my best to reduce them :/
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 679 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
I am a 34 year old applicant to HBS this year. Will be 35 next year by the time the course starts. If I go by the stats - I am simply no where. I don't have any non-traditional discriminators (combat experience, PHD etc going for me). Over the last 12 years since graduating from the Engineering school - I just couldn't get my act together to apply.

I am going ahead to see what happens. No body knows for sure and rumours abound. I prefer not to pay heed to misconceptions and keep the faith. It's a hard sell at the end of the day and as somebody mentioned earlier - it's even harder for the schools because, yes indeed, they have a legacy to protect.

I would say - apply with conviction and with all the might as you may have. We are ALL unique without exception. Our circumstances, abilities, motivations are all unique and it's how we package these essential elements is what truly counts. If nothing, simply applying to schools like Harvard is an experience in itself. I have learnt a lot from the process.

The older applicants really have nothing to lose. The odds are stacked against us - so instead of focussing on the outcome, it's better we focus on the process and see if we can learn a thing or two. Life has certainly much more to it than getting an MBA.

Good luck to everyone and may the force be with you all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hi, quick question on the application:

In the "Part-time employment" section, it references putting in summer jobs, internships, or jobs that explain any gaps in employment. However, in the full-time section, it only asks for full-time employment post college. My question is, is it necessary/recommended that I put my college summer internships in the part-time section, or will it be sufficient to only show them in my resume?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Send PM
RFMBA2 wrote:
Hi, quick question on the application:

In the "Part-time employment" section, it references putting in summer jobs, internships, or jobs that explain any gaps in employment. However, in the full-time section, it only asks for full-time employment post college. My question is, is it necessary/recommended that I put my college summer internships in the part-time section, or will it be sufficient to only show them in my resume?

I put a 6-months full time internship in the part-time section as I wasn't graduated.

dwivedys wrote:
I am a 34 year old applicant to HBS this year. Will be 35 next year by the time the course starts. If I go by the stats - I am simply no where. I don't have any non-traditional discriminators (combat experience, PHD etc going for me). Over the last 12 years since graduating from the Engineering school - I just couldn't get my act together to apply.

I am going ahead to see what happens. No body knows for sure and rumours abound. I prefer not to pay heed to misconceptions and keep the faith. It's a hard sell at the end of the day and as somebody mentioned earlier - it's even harder for the schools because, yes indeed, they have a legacy to protect.

I would say - apply with conviction and with all the might as you may have. We are ALL unique without exception. Our circumstances, abilities, motivations are all unique and it's how we package these essential elements is what truly counts. If nothing, simply applying to schools like Harvard is an experience in itself. I have learnt a lot from the process.

The older applicants really have nothing to lose. The odds are stacked against us - so instead of focussing on the outcome, it's better we focus on the process and see if we can learn a thing or two. Life has certainly much more to it than getting an MBA.

Good luck to everyone and may the force be with you all.

Good luck dwivedys, I hope to meet you in less than a year in Cambridge ;)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
you have my respect, dwivedys. I'm all but done with my HBS application, and it was no easy feat. I spent weeks on it, and I'll admit it was exhausting. If I knew my chances were minuscule because of things I couldn't change (like age, GPA, etc), I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have taken the time to do it.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I have a GOOD chance of admission. Just that I don't have an instant-disqualifier that would have to be carefully explained away.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 679 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
rid82 wrote:

Appreciate it my friend! I would pray likewise...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Wharton, Columbia, Sloan
 Q50  V47
Send PM
dwivedys wrote:
rid82 wrote:

Appreciate it my friend! I would pray likewise...

Great! Now we have a group of retirees (me included, although still 27) encouraging each other! We will show them what us antiques are capable of!! :lol:
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7  ...  147   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts