Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:22 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
duykhiem wrote:
Hi - can someone please help clarify whether the recommendation letter is suppose to be a traditional recommendation letter that addresses all the questions asked? My recommender said he has provided responses to each question with examples in a word document and ready to submit. I read on the Wharton website (student ambassador response to questions) that the recommendation letter should address all questions and should be easy for the reader to pick out. To me that means answer the question individually so that the reader can identify the response to each question, but I am not sure if it needs to be in the traditional letter format. Please let me know what you think or have experience regarding this. Thanks!

Your recommender can't go wrong with a question title and answer listed underneath for each question. They can still give an intro at the top with their contact information to make this fit the "letter" part. However if the letter blends in all answers in one blurb of text and instructions state otherwise, Admissions may think the recommender doesn't care enough to read the instructions and give you the best recommendation they can give.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Hello,

One of my recommenders (the most important one) has submitted the recommendation answering the 2009 questions instead of 2010's. Do you think it will be an issue? 80% of the questions are the same, and personally I think the important thing here is what he says, but well I don't know what AdCom will think....

It was my fault... I sent him the questions before the online application was up, as I found somewhere that they "never" change... , but I didn't expect my boss not verifying them and I also forgot to tell him to double check.

Do you think should I send Wharton an email? My recommender worked hard on the recommendations and he doesn't want to change anything.

Thanks guys,
rid
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
rid82 wrote:
Hello,

One of my recommenders (the most important one) has submitted the recommendation answering the 2009 questions instead of 2010's. Do you think it will be an issue? 80% of the questions are the same, and personally I think the important thing here is what he says, but well I don't know what AdCom will think....

It was my fault... I sent him the questions before the online application was up, as I found somewhere that they "never" change... , but I didn't expect my boss not verifying them and I also forgot to tell him to double check.

Do you think should I send Wharton an email? My recommender worked hard on the recommendations and he doesn't want to change anything.

Thanks guys,
rid

Ask question on S2S: https://engage.wharton.upenn.edu/MBA/forums/ Quick responses!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Has anyone had the problem with "highly limited space" in extracurricular section?

I can't even put down the full name of the organization :twisted:

Dear past applicants - is there way to go past the space that algorithm (or some other thing) allows? like ctrl + something??

Other than that, Wharton app is a pleasure (given that its structure is pretty much the same as other MBA programs)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Also another related question regarding the application form. Did people find that they could not copy and paste their extracurriculars into the text fields? They had to manually type out their activities? Is there a workaround for this? Manual transcription leads to higher likelihood of typos imo.
Current Student
Send PM
chostein wrote:
Has anyone had the problem with "highly limited space" in extracurricular section?

I can't even put down the full name of the organization :twisted:

Dear past applicants - is there way to go past the space that algorithm (or some other thing) allows? like ctrl + something??

Other than that, Wharton app is a pleasure (given that its structure is pretty much the same as other MBA programs)

I'm just using abbreviations and then expanding it in the "the most important one" section. Of course, you can only do this with one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Sloanie 2013
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hi guys, I can't find the GRE code to submit my score for Wharton. Can you guys help me please... :)

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi everyone :) I'm applying to Round 1, as well- deadline's coming up soon!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
In for R1 (can someone update the front page, thank you).

The Wharton app has been fantastic. I have enjoyed it the most, simply because it gave me the freedom to put imagination to work.

Good luck everyone!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
One hurdle I ran into:

Quote:
I am requesting a TOEFL waiver because I have earned an undergraduate or master's degree in an English-speaking country or from an institution at which English is the language of instruction. (Please provide an explanation in the Optional Essay section.)

Really, the want me to craft an essay about getting a US undergrad degree as a foreigner?!? I am curious, how are my fellow international students tackling this optional essay?
Current Student
Send PM
ThomasD wrote:
One hurdle I ran into:

Quote:
I am requesting a TOEFL waiver because I have earned an undergraduate or master's degree in an English-speaking country or from an institution at which English is the language of instruction. (Please provide an explanation in the Optional Essay section.)

Really, the want me to craft an essay about getting a US undergrad degree as a foreigner?!? I am curious, how are my fellow international students tackling this optional essay?

I am, I'm just stating I got X degree from Y school in City Z, USA. Y school uses English as medium of instruction. That's it, one line.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
w103psp wrote:
ThomasD wrote:
One hurdle I ran into:

Quote:

I am, I'm just stating I got X degree from Y school in City Z, USA. Y school uses English as medium of instruction. That's it, one line.

That's sort of what I am thinking about doing, I don't want to simply ignore their request - but really, they can't get that information from the previous education section ??? Oh well, sometimes B-school is not about leadership, but submissively following instructions :roll:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
MBAFAN123 wrote:
applying round 2. What is the deal with the online application and not having a place to upload your resume? Anyone else find this odd?

MBAFAN123, not sure if you got this resolved, but I was able to upload my resume (.PDF format) online. It could be the size of your file, but I can't imagine a resume more than 40-50KB.

I would contact apply-yourself tech support, they're pretty quick in responding.

Route 2 (if nothing else works) - you could e-mail admissions to add your resume to your file. Given your applying for R2, you've got plenty time to get this sorted.

Cheers and good luck bud!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:HBS - Class of 2013
 Q49  V42
WE 1: Healthcare Strategy
Send PM
Sorry if this has been answered already, but does anybody know where to input additional classes you have taken post-college graduation? In the education section it looks like they ask for only classes from places that contributed to a degree.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:HBS (admit), MIT (admit)
Send PM
ThomasD wrote:
w103psp wrote:

OK, so now I'm really confused. As a US citizen who went to a US school, do I need to check the "TOEFL waiver " box? I have no need to take the TOEFL but Wharton is making it seem like the default is to provide a TOEFL score unless you justify why you don't need it in the optical essay section.

Am I missing something here....?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
CarpathianRidge wrote:
ThomasD wrote:
w103psp wrote:

OK, so now I'm really confused. As a US citizen who went to a US school, do I need to check the "TOEFL waiver " box? I have no need to take the TOEFL but Wharton is making it seem like the default is to provide a TOEFL score unless you justify why you don't need it in the optical essay section.

Am I missing something here....?

No, it's mentioned under application instructions:
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): A complete command of the English language, including proficiency in reading, writing, and speaking is essential for success in Wharton's programs. All international applicants whose native language (language first learned and spoken at home) is not English, or who did not complete a degree from an institution where English was the language of instruction, are required to take the TOEFL in addition to the GMAT. If you believe that your situation warrants a waiver of the TOEFL, please provide an explanation in the optional essay.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:HBS (admit), MIT (admit)
Send PM
Ah, nice find w103psp. A well-earned kudos is coming your way.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  167   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts