Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:44 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:USC, UCSD, UCI, Olin, HBS
 Q36  V40 GMAT 2: 680  Q39  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Booth R1 (WL), NYU R1 (WL), Kellogg JD/MBA R2, Tepper R2, Ross R2 (admit)
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Mortgage
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Career goals in essays [#permalink]
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Unfortunately, I've already submitted a couple of apps being somewhat ambiguous (basically said I want to transition from public sector finance to private sector, fortune 500 caliber business sector role). The rest of my essays I'm going to try and integrate something for short term goals along the lines of: "Pursue biz dev in tech due to my interest in it, but not limit myself to a particular industry if the right opportunity comes along."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 3.4 Ivy
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Send PM
Even that sounds kind of wishy washy for my tastes, but I may be in the minority here.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Jeanette wrote:
Even that sounds kind of wishy washy for my tastes, but I may be in the minority here.

Would you suggest mentioning particular companies? Not having the out of being open to other industries?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 3.4 Ivy
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Send PM
mikekennyb wrote:
Jeanette wrote:

Would you suggest mentioning particular companies? Not having the out of being open to other industries?

Oh, maybe i didn't quite understand. If you meant "I want to work in position X at Google, but I'd be open to other types of X positions in similar companies" by all means, go for it. that's not wishy washy. If, on the other hand, you say "I'd like to go into finance but I'd be open to other opportunities," well, I think you're not quite keying in on it enough.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Jeanette wrote:
mikekennyb wrote:
Jeanette wrote:

Oh, maybe i didn't quite understand. If you meant "I want to work in position X at Google, but I'd be open to other types of X positions in similar companies" by all means, go for it. that's not wishy washy. If, on the other hand, you say "I'd like to go into finance but I'd be open to other opportunities," well, I think you're not quite keying in on it enough.

Gotcha. On my previous essays I had put that I'd like to work in business development, but hadn't put the "I'd be open to other opportunities". Going forward, I'll be more specific in regards to particular companies (like Google, since I'd love to work in tech).

Thanks for the feedback! I don't know many MBA's, so this whole process has left me flying somewhat blind in my pursuit. Resources like this forum have been indispensable.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Speaking of Google, it'd be really interesting if schools starting using Google-like questions for their essays!

"Design an evacuation plan for San Francisco."
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Not that I'm an expert in this area but my guess is any goals essay just needs to answer the following 3 questions:

1. What?
2. Why?
3. How? (Obviously some element of the "How" has to include the school you're applying to - if you can answer the "How" without mentioning the school, you have no need to go there!)

After you draft your essay ask someone to read your essay and see if he/she can answer these 3 questions.
GMAT Club Bot