Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Professional Engineers (Ontario)
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Green-tech
 Q50  V38
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: Nuclear Consultant - 3+ years
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Kellogg MMM vs. HBS vs. MIT LGO [#permalink]
Maybe I was a little vague in my original post. I understand the basic differences between the three programs.

MIT LGO- I would graduate with an MBA, an MS in Engineering Systems, and a 6.5 month internship under my belt.
Kel MMM- I would graduate with an MBA and Masters in Engineering Management.
HBS- gradaute with an MBA

Just wondering if there are any students out there that can relate the major distinguising characteristics of each program that helped aid in your decision to go there. Withouth doing a complete analysis of curriculum, are there general trends that others have observed to distinguish MMM and LGO? Both programs offer dual degree opportunities (with the second degree focused on operations and engineering from a total system design viewpoint).
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Kudos
These programs are as varied as they come. So if you want to go into manufacturing then mmm or LGO would make sense, else a regular MBA at HBS is fine..

This makes me question the whole fit concept at bschools. I am convinced now and perhaps it is common knowledge that it is about how you present yourself. If one can sell oneself to LGO and HBS given how different they are, it just proves my point.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck Class of 2013
Send PM
Kudos
mbabound2011 wrote:
Maybe I was a little vague in my original post. I understand the basic differences between the three programs.

MIT LGO- I would graduate with an MBA, an MS in Engineering Systems, and a 6.5 month internship under my belt.
Kel MMM- I would graduate with an MBA and Masters in Engineering Management.
HBS- gradaute with an MBA

Just wondering if there are any students out there that can relate the major distinguising characteristics of each program that helped aid in your decision to go there. Withouth doing a complete analysis of curriculum, are there general trends that others have observed to distinguish MMM and LGO? Both programs offer dual degree opportunities (with the second degree focused on operations and engineering from a total system design viewpoint).

Man, using a funny American expression (at least for me :-D ), it is a no brainer question ! A MBA from HBS will open you doors anywhere in the world, much more than any dual-degree program out there. I am not saying that you need to choose HBS because you will earn more money, but because HBS is in a league of its own.

If you are REALLY not interested in the career rocket you would get with a HBS MBA, the MIT LGO is clearly superior to the MMM Program. The MIT is much more recognized brand and is considered the best school of engineering in the world. Additionally, around 60% of the tuition is paid by the LGO companies partners and as you mentioned the 6,5 months internship and the MS in engineering are outstanding features of the LGO.

On the other hand, the McCornick School of Engineering is not even ranked in the TOP 10, the MEM is not a Master in Science and there is not a specific internship or sponsor companies. Don't take me wrong, the MMM is a very good program but the MIT LGO is on a superior level.

That being said:

HBS "poor pure" MBA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MIT LGO >>> Kellogg MMM :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Bookmarks
It really depends on what your career goals are and whether you got any scholarships. Honestly if you are applying to MMM and LGO I doubt you are going into finance or anything along those lines. If you want operations, GM or something along those lines then HBS isn't as much of a clear cut decision...no matter what some people will try and tell you.

If you dont get any money from Kellogg in your financial aid package, LGO has financial benefits that I think definitely might be a good way to decide. Operations wise, I think MIT has the strongest program in the world IMO. GM wise, Kellogg and MIT are both good but offer very different cultures.

If I had to make this choice and I knew what the LGO program was all about (might really want to talk to current students about that one since it seems you a little weak on that knowledge), I would go with MIT. If Kellogg gave some serious money I would take a closer look at Both MIT and Kellogg and find which is a better fit.

Peer pressure is one thing but an informed decision is another...HBS isn't always the clear cut decision that people on many websites say it is. Yes in some specific career areas its a near no brainer but depending what people want to do with their lives it doesnt give you the same huge advantage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Schools:MIT Sloan LGO, Kellogg MMM R1, Ross R2, Duke R1, UNC R1
Send PM
Kudos
I am a MMM form Kellogg, and when applying also considered the MIT LGO. So let's be clear with the differences.

1. Career Focus: If what you like is manufacturing, or core operations, your first choice should be MIT. It is much stronger on that side than McCormick. The downside is that it is too distant from the business side, Sloan. People in the LGO hardly interact with their fellow Sloan classmates. On the other hand, MMM's are part of Kellogg, we share the same classes, activities, etc. We have MMMs recruiting for IB, Consulting, Marketing, as well as people going to Design and Ops.

2. Timeline/Internship: LGO offers you a guaranteed internship. That has pros and cons. The pro is that if your interest is within the partner companies, you nailed it. But what if you realize that maybe hard ops is not your thing and want to try something else? Then you might want to have more options. After all, everyone gets internships in all tops schools.

3. International Experience: LGO is for US residents. That is how the program was created, and the purpose behind the partners. It has 3-4 international students per class. You loose a lot of experiences with that restriction. The MMM shares the profile with Kellogg, ~30-40% of internationals.

Summary: Both are incredible programs. If you are convinced you want to go to manufacturing/operations, don't hesitate, LGO is your #1 choice. If you want to have an MBA experience, while strengthening your Ops and Design knowledge, without leaving aside an opportunity to pursue a career in the business world, the Kellogg MMM is what you need.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools:<strong>HBS</strong>(R2 - IN!!!), <strong>Kellogg MMM</strong> (R2 - IN!!), Stanford GSB (R2-DING), MIT Sloan (R2-DING)
WE 1: 8.5 Yrs Microprocessor Design
Send PM
So I'm in almost exactly your same boat. I've been admitted to Kellogg MMM and HBS, and I'm having a tough time deciding between the two.

As an engineer, I'm naturally drawn towards the MMM program. I''m particularly interested in things like design in general, and the importance of a good user interface to a successful product. I have relatively little interest in manufacturing or operations. So Kellogg's strong general management focus, couple with strong marketing and MMM's focus on design and engineering management, means my short term focus on getting into product management or product marketing should be easily met with Kellogg.

However, as an engineer, I also know that the subject matter you learn at school is not really that important - we can learn anything we need to know on the job. What's important from the MBA is that we learn how to learn about business, learn from our peers, build a strong network, and have the brand to set us apart from the rest. Learning the soft skills of management and leadership is probably the most important aspect that will guide our careers going forwards. From this perspective, HBS is a clear winner.

Additionally, at HBS, we can always jointly enroll in classes at MIT, to get some of their expertise mixed into our curriculum.

Good luck with your decision - perhaps you can PM me and we'll chat in more depth.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
So I just wanted to write a quick note on my decision, in case anybody from this year's class is in the same predicament as me down the road. I ended choosing MIT LGO over HBS and MMM. So far, I am extremely pleased with my choice. I started the program on June 1st and haven't looked back.

To clear up any misconceptions out there:
1. LGOs do get a lot of interaction with the Sloan students. The majority of your clases are MBA courses with sloan students and LGOs are put into sloan cohorts.
2. While it is true there are less foreign students, we have great diversity in our class. Many students that have spent time working overseas or just recently got green cards/citizenship.
3. The LGO program doesn't pigeonhole any of its students into a ops management job upon graduation. The LGO program provides excellent opportunities to work in the business world. I disagree that MMM is a better option if you are looking to enhance your business acumen.
4. LGO does have a quantatative approach to some subjects, and I think this makes a business leader even more well rounded. I will be able to best back on my analytical recommendations with numbers as well as case experiences and prior work life. I
5. I was a military candidate, so other military candidates, please feel free to contact me.

If any of you would like more info on the LGO program, my experiences at HBS, or at Kellogg, you can always PM me. In the meantime, a new MIT LGO 2012 thread have been started. Feel free to migrate over there with any questions about the LGO program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
mbabound2011 wrote:
So I just wanted to write a quick note on my decision, in case anybody from this year's class is in the same predicament as me down the road. I ended choosing MIT LGO over HBS and MMM. So far, I am extremely pleased with my choice. I started the program on June 1st and haven't looked back.

To clear up any misconceptions out there:
1. LGOs do get a lot of interaction with the Sloan students. The majority of your clases are MBA courses with sloan students and LGOs are put into sloan cohorts.
2. While it is true there are less foreign students, we have great diversity in our class. Many students that have spent time working overseas or just recently got green cards/citizenship.
3. The LGO program doesn't pigeonhole any of its students into a ops management job upon graduation. The LGO program provides excellent opportunities to work in the business world. I disagree that MMM is a better option if you are looking to enhance your business acumen.
4. LGO does have a quantatative approach to some subjects, and I think this makes a business leader even more well rounded. I will be able to best back on my analytical recommendations with numbers as well as case experiences and prior work life. I
5. I was a military candidate, so other military candidates, please feel free to contact me.

If any of you would like more info on the LGO program, my experiences at HBS, or at Kellogg, you can always PM me. In the meantime, a new MIT LGO 2012 thread have been started. Feel free to migrate over there with any questions about the LGO program.

Congrats! I think of LGO folks as total rock stars. Even though I'm across the river, I'm hoping to work and interact with some LGO folks (including one of my teammates for the 100k) so I hope our paths cross!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools:<strong>HBS</strong>(R2 - IN!!!), <strong>Kellogg MMM</strong> (R2 - IN!!), Stanford GSB (R2-DING), MIT Sloan (R2-DING)
WE 1: 8.5 Yrs Microprocessor Design
Send PM
So I thought I'd give a quick update myself. What lured me towards MMM was the emphasis on design thinking, something that was completely lacking at HBS. Well I'm happy to announce several things.

1) HBS has been working hard to introduce more design thinking into it's curriculum, and will have it's first full course next year.
2) The Innovation labs here are brand new and are pretty exciting, focusing heavily on entrepreneurship, design thinking, and innovation
3) Realizing what we thought MMM offered that HBS didn't, a few of us banded together and formed an official Design Club at HBS, where we bring in speakers for lectures, workshops, and conferences from companies such as IDEO, FROG, Continuum, Maya, Gravity Tank, and more.

So while we haven't fully caught up with Kellogg's MMM program, we're well on our way.
GMAT Club Bot