Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 18:31 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 18:31
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
 Q49  V28
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73474 [1]
Given Kudos: 19056
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V28
Send PM
Re: AWA Score Importance? [#permalink]
No, I got a 6 AWA, but got rocked on my verbal part.. I'm taking it again in a month, but just wondering about this because I didn't expect to do this well on the AWA part.

Thanks for the info!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Accounting or Finance
Schools:Indiana University (Kelley Direct) or Penn State (iMBA)
Send PM
I read somewhere that the AWA score is reported separately and has no bearing on the 200-800 scoring. Is this correct?
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V28
Send PM
Yah, that is correct. They give you 3 raw scores with percentiles.. The quantative and verbal scores are then combined into the 200-800 score and a percentile, while the writing score remains out of 6.0 and a percentile.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Accounting or Finance
Schools:Indiana University (Kelley Direct) or Penn State (iMBA)
Send PM
bayareastudent wrote:
Yah, that is correct. They give you 3 raw scores with percentiles.. The quantative and verbal scores are then combined into the 200-800 score and a percentile, while the writing score remains out of 6.0 and a percentile.

OK, thanks for the clarification.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
bayareastudent wrote:
No, I got a 6 AWA, but got rocked on my verbal part.. I'm taking it again in a month, but just wondering about this because I didn't expect to do this well on the AWA part.

Thanks for the info!

From what I understand it's not too hard to get a 5.0+ on the AWA as long as your grammar is decent and you make a solid effort to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the prompt, or create a convincing case for your opinion in the other prompt. In this way it almost replicates the TOEFL.

I don't have much to compare it to because I only took it once and was a history major in undergrad, so analyzing and constructing arguments into a decent-sounding essay comes pretty quickly and naturally to me. I don't know exactly where they draw the line between a 5.0, 5.5, or 6.0.

As mentioned above, I think the big red flag would be if you got a 4.0 on the AWA then turned in flawless, polished essays--the reasonable assumption would be that you had a little too much "coaching" on your essays.
Intern
Intern
Status:Preparing for GMAT; want to join MBA program in fall 2012
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Operations Management, Finance
Schools:Tippie School of Management, University of Iowa, Iowa City
 Q49  V24 GMAT 2: 640  Q49  V28
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
did you mean that you did well on the quant and verbal section, but poorly on the writing (AWA)? At any rate, going back to your subject line, your AWA score is only as important as a standard number that b-school look at. Meaning, if you have a score of a 4.5 (or even a 4) or above, you really shouldn't be too concerned about it. However, if it's lower then you need to think about bringing your A-game to the essays. One AWA score should not be defective enough to earn a ding. Unless you have a 1 or 1.5 (maybe 2), then I wouldn't worry about it. Again, things can be compensated (i.e. low GMAT but high GPA, low GPA but great WE, a low AWA but a high verbal percentile and great essays).

Hi, do you have any idea how percentile works? I got 4.0 in AWA with 19%. I think the percentile is very low. any idea whether 4 with 19% is a good score?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
 Q46  V34
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Send PM
i read an interview of some admission council member who said they dont care about AWA at all. Seems like it is there to test how alert we are after writing two essays.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
abelnazareth wrote:
bakfed wrote:
did you mean that you did well on the quant and verbal section, but poorly on the writing (AWA)? At any rate, going back to your subject line, your AWA score is only as important as a standard number that b-school look at. Meaning, if you have a score of a 4.5 (or even a 4) or above, you really shouldn't be too concerned about it. However, if it's lower then you need to think about bringing your A-game to the essays. One AWA score should not be defective enough to earn a ding. Unless you have a 1 or 1.5 (maybe 2), then I wouldn't worry about it. Again, things can be compensated (i.e. low GMAT but high GPA, low GPA but great WE, a low AWA but a high verbal percentile and great essays).

Hi, do you have any idea how percentile works? I got 4.0 in AWA with 19%. I think the percentile is very low. any idea whether 4 with 19% is a good score?

That means a 4.0 is 19th percentile, which means 81% of people did better than you. If I remember right a 6.0 was 91st percentile, which means about 9% of people must get a 6.0.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi I got a 760 (51,41) and AWA 4.5. Please tell how would this AWA score affect the odds.
I am a non-native English speaker.

Thanks
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1181 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
brightside wrote:
Hi I got a 760 (51,41) and AWA 4.5. Please tell how would this AWA score affect the odds.
I am a non-native English speaker.

Thanks

You're cool, AWA is not a problem in your case.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37574 posts