Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 12:51 It is currently 01 May 2024, 12:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance / Management
 Q48  V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3051 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck Class of 2013
Send PM
Re: Kaplan CD-CATs vs. Kaplan Online-CATs [#permalink]
I have the same doubt.

Additionally, can I access the Kaplan online CATs if I buy the Kaplan 800 book ?

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V39
Send PM
@mbauncle: think there's no help for us! :)
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Folks,

Sorry this slipped through my radar--I've been in Mexico on my honeymoon, and I'm still playing catchup!

To answer your questions, the tests that come with the Kaplan Premier workbook are exactly the same online and on the CD. We provided both option to ensure that students can study anywhere. To the best of my knowledge, however, we're phasing out the CDs and putting all of the tests online--internet connections are ubiquitous at this point, and the existence of the same test in two locations has caused some confusion for our students.

In the future, please feel free to pm me if any more threads like this crop up! I do my best to search for 'Kaplan' related threads on a regular basis, but I miss some--if you haven't gotten a response in a day or two, I probably need some help finding it. Thanks for your patience!

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V39
Send PM
@eli: thanks for your kind response!

though i still feel the CD-CATs to be more difficult!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q50  V35
WE 1: Consulting - 1.5 Yrs
WE 2: IB Finance - 5 Yrs
Send PM
I personally find the Kaplan CAT and the scoring algorithm quite random.

Just completed the first CD CAT and scored a miserable 590, (Q50, V28) my lowest ever by a huge margin. Have been scoring consistent 690 - 710 range on MGMAT and GMAT prep.

Coming back to the scoring algo, in Q i had 3 questions wrong and got a raw score of 50, fair enough. But then my partner did a test on-line and got 1 question wrong but got a 48. Absurd !

With regards to the CD Verbal, maybe I did not do as well as i wanted to but then again I did not feel that the questions were getting easier. Given i was doing badly i should have expected the level of questions to go down but that did not happen. Now on-line verbal was even more of an absurdity, she got first 1/3 questions as SC, then the next 1/3 as CR and the last bit RC ! How can you call that a Computer adaptive test !

To add to that a raw score of Q50 and V28 should translate to ~640, but I got a measly 590.

I may be biased based on the 1 test that I have done. So will probably give another test before deciding if its worth taking these scores into account or just abandon the CAT scoring and use the questions as a practice.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi TheBirla,

The first test on the CD is a diagnostic that isn't adaptive--the other five, however, will adapt to your performance and mix up the verbal Q-types as you go. Sorry for the confusion!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
@KapteacherEli,

I have kaplan premier edition 2010 and access to the online CATS, but when i took CAT3 today(first of the adaptable CATs, CAT 1 and CAT 2 are linear) the screen above says GMAT 2007.
i wanted to know whether this CAT belongs to the reformed Kaplan CATS (guess introduced somewhere around 2010) or the ones before that which many test takers felt gave less scores.
I have total 6 CATS, out of which 2 are linear rest adaptive.

Funny thing though, the adaptive CAT itself gives me chunk of SC,CR,RC together as happened in the linear CAT. how is this possible?

Thanks,
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
rohu27 wrote:
@KapteacherEli,

I have kaplan premier edition 2010 and access to the online CATS, but when i took CAT3 today(first of the adaptable CATs, CAT 1 and CAT 2 are linear) the screen above says GMAT 2007.
i wanted to know whether this CAT belongs to the reformed Kaplan CATS (guess introduced somewhere around 2010) or the ones before that which many test takers felt gave less scores.
I have total 6 CATS, out of which 2 are linear rest adaptive.

Funny thing though, the adaptive CAT itself gives me chunk of SC,CR,RC together as happened in the linear CAT. how is this possible?

Thanks,
Hi rohu,

Sorry for the confusion! Unfortunately, I don't know exactly when the Kaplan Premier tests were updated--email booksupport@kaplan.com with your question and our customer service team should be able to answer you. If they can't find an answer, PM me again and I'll do some digging!
GMAT Club Bot