Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 04:36 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: gmat prep questions [#permalink]
1)
D and E are wrong contruction of -ing participle.Now correct idioms in 'interact with' so we have A and C.C is awkard and so A.

2)
A) correct
B) no subject of 'quickly built'
C) sentence is awkard.clauses are not constructed correctly.
D)Subject is missing
E) clauses are not joined correctly to make complex sentence. Even though and but are redundant.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Q 1:
The "cluster of tribes" contains more than 2 tribes, so you cannot use "between" (which is only used for quantities of 2). That ditches A and D.

For B, C, and E it comes down to an idiom issue--"interacted with," not "interacting among."

This question is sneaky of them, because they know that some test-takers will see a between/among split--yes, "among" is used for quantities of 3 rather than "between" but circumventing the choice altogether is also fine. The idiom takes precedence here.

C
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Q 2:

"Even though" is incorrect here because the two clauses connected by that phrase must have a more specific type of relationship between them:

Ex: Even though I hate broccoli, I eat it because it's good for me.

The two clauses must imply a contradiction between them--think of "even though" as the equivalent of the phrase "despite the fact that." Because I hate broccoli, you would think that I don't eat it...but I do!

The fact that Galileo did not invent the telescope does not imply that he could not have quickly made his own later.

"But" is in a similar family of meaning, but has looser restrictions--
-I hate broccoli, but I eat it. (correct, and similar intent to "even though" example above)
-I hate broccoli, but I love carrots (also correct, but there is nothing about hating broccoli that implies I wouldn't love carrots..."but" has wider parameters)

That knocks off C, D, and E.

Notice that B uses the past perfect tense ("had not invented")-- we use the past perfect to show that an event in the past happened *before* another event in the past,. If that meaning is not clearly the intention, then do not use the past perfect. However, if we look closing at the verbs, the actual sequence of events is:

(1) the telescope was made
(2) Galileo built his own

We need the making of the optical instrument to be expressed in the past perfect! So B is out.

Answer is A.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Q 2:

"Even though" is incorrect here because the two clauses connected by that phrase must have a more specific type of relationship between them:

The two clauses must imply a contradiction between them--think of "even though" as the equivalent of the phrase "despite the fact that." Because I hate broccoli, you would think that I don't eat it...but I do!

The fact that Galileo did not invent the telescope does not imply that he could not have quickly made his own later.

-I hate broccoli, but I eat it. (correct, and similar intent to "even though" example above)
-I hate broccoli, but I love carrots (also correct, but there is nothing about hating broccoli that implies I wouldn't love carrots..."but" has wider parameters)

Notice that B uses the past perfect tense ("had not invented")-- we use the past perfect to show that an event in the past happened *before* another event in the past,. If that meaning is not clearly the intention, then do not use the past perfect. However, if we look closing at the verbs, the actual sequence of events is:

We need the making of the optical instrument to be expressed in the past perfect! So B is out.

Answer is A.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Q 2:

Answer is A.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Q 2:

Answer is A.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts