Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:29 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship- Law-Finance
Schools:IE- ESCP - Warwick
GMAT 2: 560  Q42  V25
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Really need help for my prep? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Your post is well written - you have good english skills and a lawyer is a lawyer - your CR should be better than most even if you have not taken an LSAT.

Your Math is getting pretty good at Q42. I would focus on verbal - that's the easiest option for improvement.
Study the strategies - that's your best bet, don't get into too much of the detail, just focus on the general approach to questions, strategies, etc.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks again.

I will focus on verbal because it is indeed where there are big gaps among my scores.

I'll take another CAT today, and tell you how it goes. I am sure I improved my skills there were a lot of problems I couldn't even understand that I can now resolve. Same in verbal,SC, I used to guess for 80% of them without seeing even a difference among the answer choices, now in my last SC Veritas Textbooks I got 67% of them correct.

Another point: I think my biggest problem it that I am totally unable to evaluate myself on this test my last GMAT prep (Q40 V12). I checked the results and it was displayed as follow.

Q 18 correct out of 37 still a score of 40! (surprise!)
V21 correct out of 41 score of 12!, there is something I don't understant here honnestly! I remembered I thought I performed poorly at Quant and it was not the case. My CAT scores are always a big "suprise".

I keep you update.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
After a big argument with my parents at lunch; you know the conversation "I think you should improve your english ans take some math course at the U as you studied law...", you surely know how irritate it might be when people talk about GMAT and just never take the exam and just don't know what it is!

Well I decided to take a practice test:

GMAT Simulator:

A MIRACLE HAPPENED:

620 (Q 44 V31):

But I am really questionnong the accuracu of this CAT!!!Math was so easy! I answered correctly to 30/37, I have had all the time I needed to finish the exam, I spent 5 min in one question etc Also like GMAT Life this cat give poor score compared to the correct answers, I guess it is due to the low level of the question! I want to say thanks to veritas to make easy test to raise up mood of their client!

Verbal seemed to be more normal 26/41 correct answers, 3 last answers choices were "not educated" guess due to the time.

Really this CAT seemed to be too easy, especially in math! It was a kid stuff! Question are drafted to directly compared to the actual GMAT, the transciprtion is thus easier? What do you think about this CAT?

I have performed my two lowest score on the GMAT prep...

I don't know what to do for the last 3 days. One more last CAT or GMAT prep? Or stay on this last good (for me) score? Just verbal and review some math concept? Please HELP!
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Stop taking CAT exams and start studying--you've already taken 4 more full-length tests than I did in my 8-9 months of GMAT studying. The best basketball/soccer/football players don't get better by playing a lot of games, they get better faster by working skills and drills.

Get a set of review guides (Manhattan GMAT review, Princeton Review, etc.) and learn how to approach and solve each type of problem. Working test after test isn't going to teach you a lot other than giving you a feel for how exam day will be. Using prep books will teach you how to analyze and break down an argument, how to identify common flaws in sentence corrections, and how to find the relevant information for RC questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks! Biggest problem with the verbal is the time because of the re-reading and some RC contain very sharp vocab. I'm going to make some CR, SC and mix problems in math those last days.

One question I remembered GMAT prep sometimes ask how many primes do has an integer. But what does it mean exactly?

What's the formula to calculate the product of consecutive integers?

Thanks! For tonight, watching a movie and relax. Tommorow, I'll wake up at 8 and practice! Never give up!
Director
Director
Send PM
Those questions are good signs you need to do some basic GMAT quant review. You'll learn those kinds of things by doing book reviews as opposed to working CAT exam after CAT exam.

I think your first question has to do with prime factors of an integer--is that what you're asking? For instance, the prime factorization of 20 cuts it down to the product of 3 numbers: 2x2x5.

I can't remember the formula for product of consecutive integers, but think of it this way--if you're looking at the product of 3 consecutive integers, it could be factored out at (n-1)(n)(n+1), which would then be simplified to (n)(n^2 - 1) which would then be (n^3 - n). So the product of 5, 6, and 7 becomes 6^3 - 6=210 I don't know if that process saved you any time since 5x6x7 is pretty easy, but you get the idea. You'll learn those kind of shortcuts from review books.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your prompt reply!

For my questions I think it relies more on the interpretation of the question. I will try to retrieve it in the GMAT prep. I think it was like "How many prime are there in x" For instance if it is: 36: 2*2*3*3 is the answer 2 (2 and 3)? Anyway I will try to retrieve the question.

For the other question; I asked because I saw somebody asking the same question on the forum. I haven't seen a question like that in any Veritas Textbook or CAT test. I just have seen the sum of consecutive integers using the average concept: average=median : sum/amount of integers

REgarding the basics I have been trough almost all the veritas prep books, it took me more time that I thought as I was a real stupid IGNORANT lawyer; I believe of course some basic review would be useful but drill as well.

I skipped the following textbooks: AWA (just practice 3 AWA), Data sufficiency (there is clearly an overlap with the others math textbooks where there are a lot of DS), Advanced word problems, Reading Comp. Due to a lack of time. I wanted to practice in the OG as well... I 'll go trough those textbooks and the 3 OG for the next attempt. Step by step; Rome has not been built in one day. I am coming from far; an ugly 450. I would be happy with an improvement of 100 each attempt.

However; I don't know how to score a good score in verbal as I feel RC really depends from the passage the computer give me, and I need to be quicker. I would say that around 31-33 is my maximum potential, maybe I can improve SC a bit more but being faster will come with the reading of a LOT of passages in english which is something that takes months...

Thanks again for your advice!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
 Q44  V35
Send PM
I'm afraid there is no chance of improving your reading speed with just a couple of days left. However, if you are planning on re-taking GMAT in August I'd recommend you to start reading good qualitative English novels starting today, maybe 30 min or an hour per day. There are so many good books out there just waiting to be read :-)

The best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi guys,

Can you please help me with the following question? I actually do not understand what is ask?

For every positive integers n, the function h(n) is defined to be the product of all the even integers from 2 to n, inclusive. If p is the smallest prime factor of h(100)+1, then pis:

between 2-10
10-20
20-30
30-40
>40

thx
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am afraid I do not understand what do you mean by "Bellcurve"?

I just fight against the real GMAT today: 560 (Q40 V 24), we are even I would say. My last score was a 450 so improvement of 110 points. However I am below the 600 I will need for July-August.

I fell I was on the good track for the Math Part however sometimes I knew approximately the answer, can still improve my accuracy and speed somtime.

Verbal part, I am a too slow reader that's a fact, sometimes some vocab stuck me.

My debrief: I was a total ignorant. Now I can say I know the fundamentals and basics, I need drill and speed.

I'll take a break for the next 2-3 week, and will make a new study plan.

I implore GMAT Gurus to help me. I wonder to purchase Knewton class as they have a "50 points guarantee" policy? But I don't think I need two mix two methodologies? Do I?

I will complete the few veritas textbooks I had not completed and do all the exercises of the OG (I hadn't work with the OG) Do I also need to purchase the OG verbal and OG quant?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64981 [0]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Really need help for my prep? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Duke007 wrote:
I am afraid I do not understand what do you mean by "Bellcurve"?

I just fight against the real GMAT today: 560 (Q40 V 24), we are even I would say. My last score was a 450 so improvement of 110 points. However I am below the 600 I will need for July-August.

I fell I was on the good track for the Math Part however sometimes I knew approximately the answer, can still improve my accuracy and speed somtime.

Verbal part, I am a too slow reader that's a fact, sometimes some vocab stuck me.

My debrief: I was a total ignorant. Now I can say I know the fundamentals and basics, I need drill and speed.

I'll take a break for the next 2-3 week, and will make a new study plan.

I implore GMAT Gurus to help me. I wonder to purchase Knewton class as they have a "50 points guarantee" policy? But I don't think I need two mix two methodologies? Do I?

I will complete the few veritas textbooks I had not completed and do all the exercises of the OG (I hadn't work with the OG) Do I also need to purchase the OG verbal and OG quant?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Congratulations. That is quite an improvement. Your Quant seems to be in order. Keep practicing lots of questions and solve OG12 back to back... Put up your doubts on the Quant forum and we all will help you solve the questions.

I do understand the problem of not being a native. You need to read English books and/or watch TV in English. That will help you a lot. (A few years back, I was in Germany and was learning to speak German. The classes were great but what helped me most was that we only had German programs on TV and my friends were Polish/Russians/Koreans and the only common language we had was German. I watched a lot of 'Friends' and 'Timon and Pumba' in German and talked to people on the street (in German of course). I got a 96% on my test and 100% in conversation section!)
GMAT books can teach you how to attempt RC, CR and SC but no book can teach you English. It will be far easier to read a passage if you are good in English and you will be able to eliminate 2-3 options in SC within seconds. That will help you improve speed. Get back if you have any questions.

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 27 Jan 2011, 10:24.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 02 Oct 2022, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks!

I am about to go to Shanghai for an internship. So I need to make my shopping before :-) OG Quant and Verbal needed or is the 12nd edition enough?

As I will be working during the day, how long do I need to study daily? and in total when shoul I register for the GMAT again?

I was wondering 1h30/day 2,5-3 month with a CAT exam every week during the weekend after the first month? What do you think?

Thanks in advance.
Director
Director
Send PM
As I said before, the OG is alright for occasional practice but if you really want to learn you'll need something like MGMAT. And a weekly CAT exam is unnecessary at this point...or at any point, really.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64981 [0]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Expert Reply
Duke007 wrote:
Thanks!

I am about to go to Shanghai for an internship. So I need to make my shopping before :-) OG Quant and Verbal needed or is the 12nd edition enough?

As I will be working during the day, how long do I need to study daily? and in total when shoul I register for the GMAT again?

I was wondering 1h30/day 2,5-3 month with a CAT exam every week during the weekend after the first month? What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

OG12 is enough as far as OGs go. In Practice Tests, you have access to diagnostic quizzes. Use those to practice too.
How long you need to study depends on your own motivation. An hour each of Quant and Verbal at least 5 days a week would be a must. In addition, read as much as possible. 2.5 - 3 months window is enough to make good progress if you work diligently. And yes, a CAT on the weekends (Life, Simulator etc) would be great for practice. Make sure you go through all the solutions after taking the test. Since you have covered basics, practicing, especially the Verbal sections of all those tests will help you. But stop working hard a week before your actual GMAT. Just go through your logs and revise your formulas/concepts/strategies.
GMAT Club Bot