Last visit was: 01 Jun 2024, 16:41 It is currently 01 Jun 2024, 16:41
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
 Q44  V35
Send PM
Re: Why is Algebra so hard for me [#permalink]
dksgmat wrote:

Cancelling Common Terms
Example:

x(x-2)=x
You can't cancel out the x on both side and say x=3 is the solution. You must move the x on the right side to the left side.
x(x-2)-x=0
x(x-2-1)=0
The solutions are: x=0 and x=3

How does -x all of a sudden turn into -1? How would this example fit into a GMAT question?

I have more questions but dont have enough time to post them. I feel that there are so many assumptions that I am suppose to know when math is suppose to be pretty straight forward!!

Thanks for the help

DaoEmo wrote:
6. Cancelling common terms. Actually you can meet similar equations in the real exam, that's a 500-600 level question I suppose. I've seen similar problems in OG. Firstly, we cannot divide by x because by doing that we can incorrectly cross out one of the solutions (0 in our example). After moving x to the left side we can notice that x is a common factor of x(x-2) and x, i.e. both of these are divisible by x. So we can factor x out: x(x-2-1). When we divide x(x-2) by x we get (x-2) and when we divide x by x we get 1, minus remains. That's it I believe.
If I was wrong somewhere, correct me.

You can actually cross out one of the solutions IF you keep in mind that zero is one of the two solutions to the equation. There is no mathematical error there, however, if you are a beginner in math factoring would be a better way solve the problem since you don't risk getting the wrong answer.

The equation x(x-3)=0 tells us that there are two solutions that will hold the equation true:
1. x = 0, if x = 0 then 0(0-3) = 0
2. x=3 then 3(3-3) = 0 => 3*0 = 0

Factoring does not take that much more time so I strongly recommend it if you are uncertain.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1126 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
You're probably having a difficult time with algebra because it's your weak point. The best way to improve includes (1) incorporating solid guidebooks into your study plan, and (2) reinforcing the concepts learned with lots of high-quality math problems.

I urge you to study the first three math books from the Manhattan series. If necessary, read those books twice - especially the Number Properties guide. For question practice, use the OG material alongside the MGMAT books. This will help. Other good sources include GMATClub tests and Jeff Sackmann's math sets. Make sure to fully understand the explanation to each math question that you encounter. Overtime, you will improve your score.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65636 [0]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Expert Reply
Word of advice: Do not try to 'learn' algebra. No rules will help you get a good score. They may help you get 450-500 but nothing beyond. You have to understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. The only reason you have lists of rules or principles is to remind you of concepts you already know. Get some good basic algebra book first and practice the concepts. Thereafter, everything will make much more sense.
Also, some of the principles you mentioned are not basic. Their relevance for GMAT is sketchy at best.

'If N is odd, then S would be a multiple of N. If N is even, then S would not be a multiple of N.'

(n!)^2 > n^n (which of course doesn't work for all values of n)

GMAT doesn't expect you to know these cold... Of course, it expects you to figure things out if need be by using a few examples or building on your basic concepts... But, remember, GMAT is not a test of knowledge. It is a test of application of basic concepts.

Basic concepts are:
The sum of first n consecutive integers is n(n+1)/2
n! = 1.2.3.4..n
n^n = n.n.n.n... n times
etc
Focus on these and try to apply these.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1347 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
yes... elementary ,my dear watson :)

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3132 posts