Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:10 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Masters in Accounting
Schools:UT, Wake Forest
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:UGA, Georgia State
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink]
peggster wrote:
How's everybody doing? So far I've been accepted at William & Mary, NC State, and Wake Forest. I decided to decline at W&M, but I'm really torn between Wake and NC State. I visited Wake yesterday, and there's a lot to like about it. I really like the 3 semester option with an internship during busy season, especially because it sounds like a clear path to a job post-graduation. It's a great option for me in particular, because I don't yet have any accounting experience. The biggest issue is cost. If I do the 3 semester option, even with the money from the paid internship, I'll still be paying for 3 semesters of tuition, and that's a big chunk of change. NC State, on the other hand, is local, meaning I don't have to move or sell my house. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper, and much more receptive to non-traditional students, which is what I am. It's a really solid program, very focused on getting students prepared for the CPA exam, and I've been very happy with my experience taking pre-requisites there.

Any opinions?

Here is my $.02. Have you look at the cost of attendance for Wake? It's estimated that it'll cost $60K per year for tuition and living expenses. From your post, I assume you live around Raleigh/NC State area, so you'll have to move to Winston Salem and incur living expenses there. 3 semesters adds up to 90K, which is a lot of money to spend for a school that gives you mere marginal benefits over NC State. Your other option is a public school, meaning tuition is a whole lot cheaper than the private Wake, I believe it is almost 75% cheaper. I'm not sure what Wake give you in scholarship money so I'll ignore it for a moment. You'll also save on living expenses since you already own your own home in the area and you also like the school since you're already taking classes there. This should be one of the easiest decision you'll ever made in your life.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
msaccountancy wrote:
peggster wrote:
How's everybody doing? So far I've been accepted at William & Mary, NC State, and Wake Forest. I decided to decline at W&M, but I'm really torn between Wake and NC State. I visited Wake yesterday, and there's a lot to like about it. I really like the 3 semester option with an internship during busy season, especially because it sounds like a clear path to a job post-graduation. It's a great option for me in particular, because I don't yet have any accounting experience. The biggest issue is cost. If I do the 3 semester option, even with the money from the paid internship, I'll still be paying for 3 semesters of tuition, and that's a big chunk of change. NC State, on the other hand, is local, meaning I don't have to move or sell my house. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper, and much more receptive to non-traditional students, which is what I am. It's a really solid program, very focused on getting students prepared for the CPA exam, and I've been very happy with my experience taking pre-requisites there.

Any opinions?

Here is my $.02. Have you look at the cost of attendance for Wake? It's estimated that it'll cost $60K per year for tuition and living expenses. From your post, I assume you live around Raleigh/NC State area, so you'll have to move to Winston Salem and incur living expenses there. 3 semesters adds up to 90K, which is a lot of money to spend for a school that gives you mere marginal benefits over NC State. Your other option is a public school, meaning tuition is a whole lot cheaper than the private Wake, I believe it is almost 75% cheaper. I'm not sure what Wake give you in scholarship money so I'll ignore it for a moment. You'll also save on living expenses since you already own your own home in the area and you also like the school since you're already taking classes there. This should be one of the easiest decision you'll ever made in your life.

I don't think Wake Forest is THAT expensive. Their tuition, I believe, is based on fixed per credit amount. Even though the tuition is pricey, I believe the estimate is based on if you took 24 credits an academic year. The curriculum at Wake Forest, from start to finish, is just 30 credits. It's no different than any other program, just spread to three semesters instead of two because of the internship. Plus, one must factor in the salary gained from the internship (that's if he or she plans on using some or most of it on student debt). That being said, Wake Forest is still a little pricey. However, it is still cheaper than out-of-state tuition at UNC, which is why I will be attending WF instead. But, if you are an instate resident of NC, I would go with the public school. It's far cheaper than private school or out-of-state tuition. I recommend NC State.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,

Admitted:
Notre Dame (partial scholarship)

Waiting:
UVA
UIUC
Denver

I should be hearing back from the other schools soon. However, do you guys think it is worth paying extra to go to Notre Dame if the tuition at other schools ends up being much cheaper? I think Notre Dame is the best fit for me, but it could also be the most expensive. Thoughts? Any ND alums out there that could share their experiences with me and what they think of my situation?

Originally posted by UWHuskies11 on 27 Feb 2011, 20:57.
Last edited by UWHuskies11 on 02 Mar 2011, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anybody heard from ASU yet?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
UWHuskies11 wrote:
Hi all,

Admitted:
Notre Dame (with 9K scholarship)

Waiting:
UVA
UIUC
Denver

I should be hearing back from the other schools soon. However, do you guys think it is worth paying extra to go to Notre Dame if the tuition at other schools ends up being much cheaper? I think Notre Dame is the best fit for me, but it could also be the most expensive. Thoughts? Any ND alums out there that could share their experiences with me and what they think of my situation?

ND MSA alum here. I faced a similar decision between ND and my undergrad institution, a state school with big 4 recruiting. I am very happy with my decision, I learned a ton and made great friends. The Sports and the culture of the school are awesome too. Buuut, it was expensive. I justified my decision based on the fact that I didn't have a full time offer with a firm (which I did get at ND) and the experience. The (slight) advantage ND may have over those schools is the national reach of alumni, which makes referral recruiting easier. (In fact, I had an non-Chicago offer from one of the firms without an office visit.)
Intern
Intern
Schools:USC MAcc
GPA: 3.93
Send PM
Applied to only USC MACc
Admitted with 35% scholarship
GPA 3.93, undergrad in accounting, small private school
GMAT Below 550
Tons of work experience, EC, Volunteer work
Great Recs

Can't Wait!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Applied: UT Austin, Texas A&M, William & Mary, UVA

Accepted: William & Mary w/ scholarship

Waiting: UT Austin, Texas A&M, UVA

Stats: GPA 3.56, GMAT 630, 2 Accounting Internships, BAP

:P

Originally posted by wowurrcool on 01 Mar 2011, 19:54.
Last edited by wowurrcool on 06 Mar 2011, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Boston College,William and Mary and Texas A&M
GMAT 3: 640  Q45  V32
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Got into William and Mary.
GMAT:640
GPA:3.37
Intern
Intern
Send PM
NYY wrote:
UWHuskies11 wrote:
Hi all,

*UPDATED*
Admitted:
UVA (partial scholarship)
Denver (full scholarship)

Waiting:
UIUC

ND MSA alum here. I faced a similar decision between ND and my undergrad institution, a state school with big 4 recruiting. I am very happy with my decision, I learned a ton and made great friends. The Sports and the culture of the school are awesome too. Buuut, it was expensive. I justified my decision based on the fact that I didn't have a full time offer with a firm (which I did get at ND) and the experience. The (slight) advantage ND may have over those schools is the national reach of alumni, which makes referral recruiting easier. (In fact, I had an non-Chicago offer from one of the firms without an office visit.)

Thanks for the response! Do you have any advice on finding additional finding @ ND, or will I just have to pay the entire tuition? And do you know if they negotiate scholarship offers? I received financial aid packages from other schools that are fairly substantial in comparison. Feel free to PM me! Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
UWHuskies11 wrote:
NYY wrote:
UWHuskies11 wrote:
Hi all,

*UPDATED*
Admitted:
UVA (partial scholarship)
Denver (full scholarship)

Waiting:
UIUC

Thanks for the response! Do you have any advice on finding additional finding @ ND, or will I just have to pay the entire tuition? And do you know if they negotiate scholarship offers? I received financial aid packages from other schools that are fairly substantial in comparison. Feel free to PM me! Thanks!

I have not personally heard of any scholarship negotiation. I did read on this site that someone got a 3k scholarship with a sub 600 gmat, and they told him if he retook it he might receive a higher scholarship. I'm not sure if anything came of it, or if it would even work for you, as I think with a 9k scholarship you probably got about the average of their target class profile. FAFSA will probably come through with a sizable loan (combination subsidized and unsubsidized). As far as additional loans, my impression was that that most students can make it work, though I didn't need any.

As far as your other schools, UVA and UIUC are programs that can take you where you want to go, big 4 wise. The Denver scholarship sounds pretty good though; I would prod a little bit to find out what recruiting is like in terms of where students are getting placed, with regard to both firm and city.

That said, looking back, my time in South Bend was definitely worth the few extra bucks I paid. Additionally, I will take this opportunity to point out that Irish Football is likely to be ranked in the pre-season and basketball is currently ranked 7/8 in the Nation
Intern
Intern
Schools:UGA, Georgia State
Send PM
Anyone hear from University of Georgia yet?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Is anyone still waiting for a response from USC?
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
sailtheworld wrote:
Is anyone still waiting for a response from USC?

I am & I submitted my application before the early deadline.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I am waiting for USC but I only applied four days ago. I applied to every school late but got accepted at every one so far--and with lots of money to boot at least 80% tuition from each. If only i could actually get a job before school. Now that is hard work. I suck at finding jobs.

Originally posted by exitlane10 on 07 Mar 2011, 18:31.
Last edited by exitlane10 on 07 Mar 2011, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
I got an interview request today with USC. I submitted the week before Jan 10th, but had some issues with going complete and everything wasn't sent off to Marshall/Leventhal School until the week after.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
sailtheworld wrote:
I got an interview request today with USC. I submitted the week before Jan 10th, but had some issues with going complete and everything wasn't sent off to Marshall/Leventhal School until the week after.

Best of luck! :) I just got my interview request too & submitted about the same time as you.
I guess about two months seems par this year. (There are people who got an interview earlier, but they submitted their app back in Nov. or Dec.)
Intern
Intern
 Q27  V28 GMAT 2: 500  Q29  V30
GPA: 3.33
WE 1: Television Production
Send PM
Program: MSA
Applying to Cal State LA
GMAT: 470 :-/ GPA: 3.33 Undergrad
It's a shot in the dark. We shall see how it pans out.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts