Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:34 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Please evaluate this potential '11 MBA reject [#permalink]
Expert Reply
enigmatic526 wrote:
jenniferbloom wrote:
You can certainly "reject" Smith this year in hopes of gaining acceptance to a more highly reputed program next year. Most schools do not offer deferrals, but if your military reserve role prevents your attending this year because of the current global instability then Smith might accept that reasoning and allow your deferral. If it does not, there is no reason to believe that Smith will reject you just because you chose not to attend this year. I do, on the other hand, recommend applying to another "fallback" program just in case.
Columbia will like your military experience but not your GPA, so I do advise you to try to build an alternate transcript (in addition to the 700+ GMAT) over the next few months. Can you enroll in a few courses (statistics, accounting, etc.) and get A's in them so you can prove your academic potential?
Certainly if your recommendations were not detailed and strong, that is a huge strike against you. I recommend hand-holding the recommenders through the process, or perhaps having them work directly with your editor (as we at Accepted.com often do) to help the recommenders keep to a timetable and write detailed letters that round out your applications. Leaving this very large element of your applications to chance and the last minute is just too much of a wild card in your application process.

Jennifer,

Thank you for your comments -- I have decided to finish up my LEED accreditation by end of April this year. The summer classes at a local state university starts in early May and runs about 6 weeks and will probably take accounting. I'll then take another class (stats) up til august. Those 2 classes will hopefully bolster my GPA -- however, do I take graduate accting/stats classes or undergrad?

I'm also planning on taking a GMAT prep class either via Manhattan or Veritas in early June and finally take my GMAT's in mid/late August. Sept-December is then dedicated to applications working with a consultant like accepted.com.

Intense year -- but I want it bad and hopefully it'll all be worth it come this time next year. Please advise if I should take undergrad or grad classes as a supplemental transcript. Thank you.

Please advise on

The difficulty of the class is going to be part of the yardstick by which the schools measure the value of the alternate transcript you are creating. If you've taken undergraduate statistics and/or accounting already, then go ahead and take graduate level courses in them. However, if this is going to be your first exposure to these subjects, then the undergraduate level is probably the more appropriate path.
Since the first deadlines are in October, I recommend you try to begin preparing your applications in August (or even July!) instead of September.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for all your help Jennifer! I'm glad to announce that I was actually accepted to Georgetown's McDonough SB for this fall. I was working on a class up until now, but I obviously withdrew from it to refocus my priorities for preparing for business school. Thank you again!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congratulations on the Georgetown acceptance! I think it would have been better to stay in the accounting course if you could have handled it - that preparation will help you in the core courses at McDonough. Enjoy the program!
GMAT Club Bot