Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 920 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Schools:ABCD
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Noun modifiers vs Verb Modifier [#permalink]
windofchange wrote:
voodoochild wrote:
First Question -

1. I am not able to understand "Verb Modifier". I do know that it should modify verbs but apart from that it gets very confusing to me. As in this example, in SC guide,
[*]Based on the recent decline in enrollment, the admissions office decided to reevaluate its recruitment strategies.
According to the explanation this is a noun modifier and it has to be replaced with a verb modifier. But I do not understand the replacement, "Because of the recent decline in enrollment".

Actually, I don't understand clearly what you are asking.
Do you know why [*] is wrong? Do you understand the explanation in the book?

Because of the recent decline in enrollment, the admissions office decided to reevaluate its recruitment strategies. [**}
This is a cause-effect structure. The cause is "the recent decline in enrollment", the effect is " the admissions office decided to reevaluate its recruitment strategies". So, [**] is a way to express the cause and effect.

The structure "because of + noun/V-ing" is used to expressed the cause. If you eliminate "OF", then a clause should follow "Because".

i.e. Because there was a recent decline in enrollment, the admission office.....
However, this sentence is wordy. The [**] is better.

voodoochild wrote:
Second question: -

I am referring to manhattan GMAT SC Series - Chap 12 / Pg 229.

After the agreement surfaced, the commission dissolved it.

Now, I will ask the question, "What happened after the agreement surfaced"? I would say the answer is the verb "dissolve"??? HEnce, the modifier is not a noun modifier but a verb modifier. Given that, commission shouldn't be placed after comma.

I don't know what you mean here :(

My bad. I should have given you the full context.

#1 - "Based on....," is a noun modifier because you can ask question "What was based on " The answer is "decision". Hence, "decision" should follow the comma.
Secondly, "Becuase of ...." is a verb modifier because we would ask a question "what happened because of ..." The answer is "a decision was taken". In this form, there is no requirement on the placement of the modifier. However, we are missing the subject and hence, we need committee right after the comma. i.e. "because of ...., committee...."

#2 - "After the agreement surfaced, the commission dissolved it.:" is again a verb modifier because you will ask, "what happened after the ...". The answer is "dissolved". However, i am not sure why "commission" should be placed after the comma. Is it because we are missing subject in the modifier? Not sure. Please help

Thanks
Voodoo Child
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 978 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
voodoochild wrote:
First Question -

1. I am not able to understand "Verb Modifier". I do know that it should modify verbs but apart from that it gets very confusing to me. As in this example, in SC guide,
[*]Based on the recent decline in enrollment, the admissions office decided to reevaluate its recruitment strategies.
According to the explanation this is a noun modifier and it has to be replaced with a verb modifier. But I do not understand the replacement, "Because of the recent decline in enrollment".

Second question: -

I am referring to manhattan GMAT SC Series - Chap 12 / Pg 229.

After the agreement surfaced, the commission dissolved it.

Now, I will ask the question, "What happened after the agreement surfaced"? I would say the answer is the verb "dissolve"??? HEnce, the modifier is not a noun modifier but a verb modifier. Given that, commission shouldn't be placed after comma.

Am I missing anything ? Please confirm. I am a bit lost :(

Thanks
Voodoo child

Let me try to clarify

1) Based on the recent decline in enrollment, the admissions office decided to reevaluate its recruitment strategies.
. . .it appears that it is being said that "the admission office" (a noun) is "based on something ... . . . to modify i.e. to say to qualify / add to meaning of - the admission office - a noun - we need a noun modifier
correct answer could be like; determined to improve the company's wok culture, the admission office decided to reevaluate its recruitment strategies. . .

2) After the agreement surfaced, the commission dissolved it.
. . .it simply says; the commission agreed and the decided to resolve it (i hope where you picked this sentence from, there we had a referent to 'it')

i am not good at it. but hope i was some help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: Booth '15
Send PM
from what I have understood after studying this:

1. Based on.... is a noun modifier and should modify the closest noun. After all, not the admission office but the decision was based on some thing.
since you were not allowed to change the later part of sentence, you have to make the first part a verb modifier so as you can answer: WHY the admission office decided? and the answer to that will be: Because of .....

what question would you ask that would modify the verb/some action? How the verb was done, when the verb was done, why the verb was done, where the verb was done, what was the verb?

if you get answer to these question, that part of the sentence is a verb modifier. Remember, it can be as simple as an adverb.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts