Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:54 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Move or Sell everything? [#permalink]
Having done the cross country move a few times in the past, a cheaper alternative to hiring traditional movers is upack (https://www.upack.com -- I have zero affiliation with them other than having used them in the past). Basically, the trucking company (ABF) drops off an empty container at your house, you pack it in yourself, and they pick it up and drop it off at your desired location about a week or so later (and you unload it yourself). Depending on the value of your furniture and your likely plans post-MBA, this may or may not be worth it.

If there's a reasonable chance you'll be moving back to the west coast post-MBA and you have decent furniture/stuff already, you might as well just keep it in storage. And then buy stuff for b-school when you're there (remember it's not a full 2 years -- you arrive in early Sept, and leave by mid-May, and you're only there for 16 months total because there's a summer internship in between the two years).

What you can do is buy used furniture from other students (or really cheap IKEA furniture), and then re-sell the furniture to other students when you graduate.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AlexMBAApply wrote:
Having done the cross country move a few times in the past, a cheaper alternative to hiring traditional movers is upack (https://www.upack.com -- I have zero affiliation with them other than having used them in the past). Basically, the trucking company (ABF) drops off an empty container at your house, you pack it in yourself, and they pick it up and drop it off at your desired location about a week or so later (and you unload it yourself). Depending on the value of your furniture and your likely plans post-MBA, this may or may not be worth it.

If there's a reasonable chance you'll be moving back to the west coast post-MBA and you have decent furniture/stuff already, you might as well just keep it in storage. And then buy stuff for b-school when you're there (remember it's not a full 2 years -- you arrive in early Sept, and leave by mid-May, and you're only there for 16 months total because there's a summer internship in between the two years).

What you can do is buy used furniture from other students (or really cheap IKEA furniture), and then re-sell the furniture to other students when you graduate.

Good call on Upack. I was looking to use a service like that but I forget the name. Thanks Alex for the reminder.
Send PM
If you use upack, just remember to pack it properly like the professionals do (with blankets/padding, taping up glass, etc), since contents will shift during transport. Something I didn't do the first time I used them haha
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AlexMBAApply wrote:
If you use upack, just remember to pack it properly like the professionals do (with blankets/padding, taping up glass, etc), since contents will shift during transport. Something I didn't do the first time I used them haha

Thanks for the tips! Not that my stuff is really that delicate (or expensive) but it'll be nice to not have to clean up broken stuff when I arrive in Boston. :)

So it'll be like $2k for my stuff + $1K for my car + $0.6K for plane tickets + miscellaneous stuff and taxes = $4000 to move! Eek!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into this.

Anyone know a good car shipping company? Or does Upack do this too? i.e. I just drive the car into a container?

AlexMBAApply wrote:

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Also check out https://www.pods.com I have never used them but it is a similar service.
Send PM
For car transport, try Intercity (www.intercitylines.com) -- not the absolute cheapest, but is reliable and on time -- and if you have a decent car, it may be worth it. Some shipping companies will pull a bait-and-switch, and arrive sometimes a week or even 10 days later than they said they would (because what happens is that drivers starting on one coast may try and "load up" on vehicles along the way, so they may end up waiting in one city for a few days longer to see if more cars can get loaded up -- so while it would only take maybe 3-5 days coast-to-coast, could end up being 2 weeks).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
I had a corporate relo that cost $10k+ and I was single out of college. Moving is a pain in the ass. So yes it is very expensive. Even storing is expensive... Don't be lured in by those $1 for the first month gimmicks. It is like ~$100/mo for 100sqft storage.

If I were you and actualy I am already looking forward to this... I would sell off as much as I could (even the cars, kind of depends on your plans during and after school, but definitely all the furniture).

I downsized 50% moving to LA and it was the best feeling in the world.

If you are renting, consider leaving your furniture. It will fetch a higher rent, and you don't have to pay for freaking storage.

It's hard to part with the crap you own but I have never regretted selling that piece of furniture or electronic. Cash in the bank is weightless! You don't even have to dust it or clean it!

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
As the reality of moving costs sets in, I'm leaning toward another sell-off :(

Someday, it'll be nice to buy furniture and appliances with the intention of keeping them for more than a couple years.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Yes but then again, gen Y seems to not be able to stay in one place for more than a few years at a time. We reap what we sow I guess.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think this may be a good discussion to move to the business school life. It will get lost here.... :-//
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools:Booth
 Q48  V45
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
I'm planning to rent my house furnished, although I will take a few valuable/sentimental items. I think I'll get a better value from the increased rent of furnished vs. unfurnished that from simply trying to sell everything on craigslist. Also, if/when I move back, the furniture could still be in decent condition.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I would suggest to anyone who is interested to get a property manager. for like a certain % of rent (i think 10 or less?), they take care of everything from listing to insurance to claims to evictions to damages to maintenance, etc. Some things are just not worth the distraction, especially if you are across country deep into your MBA year. Spend the bucks and save the headache. One flight back will be half the cost of hiring professionals to manage the darn thing for a year! Not to mention the time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
This is all good advice. I am working on selling my house now. But did look into a property manager. There is also insurance that covers things like when your tenants wash some horrible thing and ruin the washer or smash a hole in the wall. As for my stuff I plan on having a sell off/give away session. I find that I am giving a lot of stuff away just to be done with it. Amtrak will also take your boxes cross country for VERY cheap. The only parameters is it has to be boxes and 50lbs or less each. They will store your stuff for a decent rate per day too. It is called Amtrak Express and they also move cars from select locations. Drive in.. rail away..pick up at the other end. That way no one is touching your car either.

Becky
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Thanks everyone for the great advice.

After looking up everything (west coast to east coast):
Upack - doing everything ourself - $2700
U-haul - $2400 - $3000 depending on size of tuck

Getting people to load and unload:
Asked a few places (Upack, some other moving companies)
Anywhere from $3200 to $3600

Shipping one car
Intercitylines - $1800 (they ship your car enclosed, no waiting for other pickups)
Services that wait for other pickups - $900 to $1300

After looking at everything we are going to hire a real estate agent that does both leasing and selling, would prefer to lease and ship most of our stuff except big furniture, sell one car, drive one car across the USA, and make it a long road trip...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
When it comes time for me, I'm probably going to sell my furniture...cheaper to buy new stuff than to move my current furniture (I'm single and female, so I'd certainly need to hire someone, which is $$$). And I'm not particularly in love with any of it anyway, so it's no great loss.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools:Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
 Q46  V41
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Send PM
lulumocha - I highly recommend a good road trip over the summer! I did that in the summer of 2006 between jobs - by far one of the best trips I've made. Let me know if you'd like suggestions on places to see / stop.

I'm moving to Europe for b school and not planning on coming back to the US for a while (if all goes well), so I'm selling everything (car, furniture; thankfully I'm renting, so no house to worry about). My mom lives in Europe, so I have already sent some stuff I really don't want to get rid of to her via some family members who have visited the US over the past few months. Then I plan to go over with whatever fits in 2 suitcases and a carry-on. Should be interesting...
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2