Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:49 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Consulting - 4 years
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: International Business, Other
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: Calling All Georgetown 2011 Applicants (Updated) [#permalink]
nycfan wrote:
bump?

If so, I haven't heard anything about it. Also, it's not listed on the "Your To-Do List" - so I'm not expecting anything.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
btw, I called and confirmed there's no background check.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Are you kidding ? everybody does BG check

do they ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:USC Marshall School of Business
GPA: 2.9
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Send PM
Admit weekend - I don't recall if there's a sign up?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: International Business, Other
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
CyberC1 wrote:

Hmm... there is - via an online survey (it was mentioned in an email they sent out today). But now I can't remember if I signed up previously or not - I can't find any confirmation email. Oh well, maybe I'll sign up twice.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:USC Marshall School of Business
GPA: 2.9
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Send PM
saritalr wrote:
CyberC1 wrote:

Hmm... there is - via an online survey (it was mentioned in an email they sent out today). But now I can't remember if I signed up previously or not - I can't find any confirmation email. Oh well, maybe I'll sign up twice.

Found it.. Beth Kelly just e-mailed a reminder out to everyone today. =P
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nycfan wrote:
btw, I called and confirmed there's no background check.

Bump

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
^^^Bump what? There is no background check. its at the schools discretion....end of story
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Can anyone from last year who got off Georgetown's wait-list comment on what steps they took to do so?

I can't decide if I should send an e-mail with updates on my job/other progress or if I should submit another recommendation.

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
^^^Bump what? There is no background check. its at the schools discretion....end of story

Thanks for the tone of the answer...

I was just puzzled as it is not fair not to BG check the people but anyway as you said "end of story"
Current Student
Send PM
CAmba11 wrote:
Can anyone from last year who got off Georgetown's wait-list comment on what steps they took to do so?

I can't decide if I should send an e-mail with updates on my job/other progress or if I should submit another recommendation.

Thanks in advance!

Hey living close to DC and having close friends who got off the WL, are students/graduates etc. I hope i can offer some insights that may be helpful.

Some people dont do anything and get off, while other send monthly updates and dont get off. I think the gtown waitlist is a pure yield manipulation tactic. Here are some important numbers:
Applications (admitted and denied) to the newest class: 1,630
Applicants who were accepted to the most recent class: 42 %
Admitted applicants who enrolled in the newest class: 37 %
Applicants wait-listed during the last admissions cycle: 451
Wait-listed applicants admitted for the semester to which they applied: 94

More than 25% of applicants are WL'ed....much higher than any other school in the country.
~28% of the incoming class comes in off the waitlist, another high.

Two WL'ed friends of mine were called by gtown and asked "if we admit you, will you come?" the one who said absolutely received his offer a couple days later. The one who said maybe stayed on the WL for quite a bit longer.

Gtown knows its a back up school for many people and hedges its yield (37%....only one school has a lower yield in the top 25...its Olin! @ 34%) with the waitlist. I wonder what it would be if they didn't put such a high number on the WL...maybe 15%? They cant have that.

Either way the main goal with gtown isnt to show them you've gotten better IF you are already good enough, its to show that you truly would go there if admitted. Some say this can be effectively done by just staying on the WL. Hence there are some kids who dont do anything and get admitted.

All that said, I think the proper strategy for any school that accepts WL updates like gtown is to tell them they are your number one choice and send them meaningful updates on your profile. Have you been promoted? Are you leading a larger team? Managing a larger budget? Did you join toastmasters?
stuff like that helps but you should lead with Gtown is your first choice and you will go if given the honor.

A new reco letter is good if its NEW and doesnt rehash what they already know. If you had a low GPA perhaps now is the time to tap a recent professor on the shoulder (considering your other letters were professional.)

On another note, one should only do this if Gtown is your first choice and you would actually go. If you're just hangin out to see what happens but prob wont go - just remove yourself to be fair to others. And you're not getting any serious money off the WL.

And on another note gtown sucks in tech placements on the west coast. It sucks in general on the west coast. The alumni base outside of the b school is not very receptive to mba students past a chat and wont really be in position to help you as much as a larger/older network like other b schools. At the end of the day gtown has its strengths...federal consulting/mid tier finance in the DC area. If that was ones goal its prob the best fit. gtown also has a very strong global brand, so for US citizens looking to make a move overseas it may be good fit. Take a hard look at look at the placements both location and industry/function....tech is almost non existent.

Gtown has a very bright future for a young school...the MBA program started in 1981, and I think it will be in the top 15 one day. As someone pointed out there are some top placements in IB and even MC coming out of gtown in recent years.
Current Student
Send PM
attaboy wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:

Thanks for the tone of the answer...

I was just puzzled as it is not fair not to BG check the people but anyway as you said "end of story"

I see what you mean, but its the lying on ones application thats not fair. Schools still reserve the right to get to the bottom of anything in your application. Some schools do a little checking themselves. Gtown could easily call anyone they want. Some schools come out and say that while there isn't a formal check, they will call around if something looks fishy. I think at whatever school you go to there are gonna be people who fudged stuff on their resume, prob not companies but level of responsibility within said company.

And they check the everything for their law/med students for obvious licensing related reasons.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Thanks JH! I appreciate your insight and specific connections to my background. I guess I was thinking about whether I would like it there after speaking to someone who just graduated from MSB, so I wanted to explore the possibility of getting admitted and going for a visit.

Just trying to weigh all my options after the exhausting and endless hours that I spent applying to all of these programs! :)

I'll take your suggestion and do a little more research on the opportunities post-grad.
Current Student
Send PM
Dude....You will like it there, the area is gorgeous and lots of fun, an LA person would feel at home (aside from the weather!)

Post/PM any questions you have and I'll send them to my friends who are grads/students/admits
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jordanhendrix, are you a gtown student?

I'm still trying to decide between Gtown and Cornell, I'm trying to get into Ibanking, would Cornell be significantly better? Thanks!
Current Student
Send PM
I am not a gtown student! I prefaced my post with that.
Cornell kills Gtown in IB....its a like kobe bryant vs a high school kid.
the high school kid may get lucky here and there and score a point but my money is on kobe.

Just look at both schools employment reports/ hiring companies.

I know a bunch of kids who go to/have graduated from gtown since I'm in the DC area in an MBA heavy field.

No knock on gtown, if you are ambitious, great at networking, willing to go to NYC every other week etc then you have just as good a shot as any. Cornell is a clear favorite in IB though, I dont think anyone is going to argue that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
i have actually looked at the employment reports, and if you looked you'd see that it's not actually very conclusive. I'm 100% certain its not like Kobe vs a high school kid. Do you work in banking? I'm sorry... but from your style of writing and how you're responding to people, i have to ask this question...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34